Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 855114 times)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Progressive Rage Thread - Needs of the Many and the Few Edition
« Reply #3015 on: August 08, 2011, 05:21:09 pm »

I think I need to change my signature to:

If you think I'm attacking you or putting words in your mouth, I'm not.  Read anything in parenthesis as a general collection of side-thoughts.  Feel free to respond in correction to those thoughts if needed.  Do not read hatred into them.  Do not assume.

Honestly, if this is how you want people to respond to your posts, you probably shouldn't jump into threads taking cheap cracks at the OP about "angst".
I wasn't taking cheap cracks at the OP.  I'm re-reading the post again, and I still don't see it.  It's Vector's Progressive Thread... it just happens to have angst in it.  I didn't say it was Vector's angst.  You are assuming.  Do not assume.

If you think I'm attacking you or putting words in your mouth, I'm not.  Read anything in parenthesis as a general collection of side-thoughts.  Feel free to respond in correction to those thoughts if needed.  Do not read hatred into them.  Do not assume.

You could try 'Hear what I retroactively decided I meant to say, not what I said'?
That's not needed.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3016 on: August 08, 2011, 05:22:14 pm »

Okay, taking cheap shots at people in the thread and/or how they're acting, then. Either way, it was insulting and not terribly productive or informative.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3017 on: August 08, 2011, 05:22:30 pm »

For some reason, you have an issue with the way things are conducted here.  Enough that it should be retitled from "rage" to "angst" as the dominant component, because nothing is getting done.

So, since you seem to have a thing for fixing things, and really getting out there to make some visible progress:

Tell me how to fix my thread.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3018 on: August 08, 2011, 05:30:39 pm »

Or msybe you could work on your communication skills instead (crazy suggestion I know)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3019 on: August 08, 2011, 05:34:20 pm »

You could try 'Hear what I retroactively decided I meant to say, not what I said'?
That's not needed.

Honestly, I'm not sure how else to get through to you. Everybody else in the thread seems to have mastered the ability to post simply without insulting OPs or posters or whomever; what makes you different and gives you the right to special consideration?

Fake edit:

Or msybe you could work on your communication skills instead (crazy suggestion I know)

Exactly.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3020 on: August 08, 2011, 06:09:58 pm »

For some reason, you have an issue with the way things are conducted here.  Enough that it should be retitled from "rage" to "angst" as the dominant component, because nothing is getting done.

So, since you seem to have a thing for fixing things, and really getting out there to make some visible progress:

Then the next two posts are two people raging... although only in the wrong way.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3021 on: August 08, 2011, 06:15:17 pm »

All I ask is that people stop this type of crap:

A. If I would have said that... I would be hung and quartered.  How about we stop with this?  (IE: Someone confronted me about this type of talk before.  Ascribing meaning to my post.)

Also...
B. We need to stop with the, "You really believe that?" and "This must be a joke" crap.  (You may or may not think it's obvious, but again... like stated before: "Attack arguments, not people.")
C. We need to stop going back in the post and drudging up old hats... especially those that have been agreed upon to be left behind.

Honestly, I'm not sure how else to get through to you.
Then don't.  If you don't know how to approach a topic, ask.

Everybody else in the thread seems to have mastered the ability to post simply without insulting OPs or posters or whomever; what makes you different and gives you the right to special consideration?
Everyone else pretty much agrees on the topics for the most part.  There has been little dissenting opinion through the whole thread.  A few branches here or there, but in general but nobody is climbing other trees... when I gave dissenting opinion it was met with harsh overtones.

For instance...
What's even worse is Gov. Kasich is making the problem so much more terrible by attacking teachers and poorer school district funding from the state level. This means school districts in rich areas will at least have the possibility of raising local levy taxes to make up the difference whereas poor school districts (already at an unconstitutional funding disadvantage) have no chance of offsetting the lost state aid with local taxes....
Source?
Edit:  There's this story:
http://www.10tv.com/live/content/onnnews/stories/2011/03/16/story-budget-schools.html
Which sounds like Kasich wants to give parents choice in where their kids go.  It sounds like a voucher system.  Parents would be able to decide what school gets the voucher for their kid's school funding.
Heck, the more I read about Kasich and schooling it sounds like he has a plan.  It's almost a progressive plan... changing what you claim nobody is changing.
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/dayton-news/kasich-promises-to-bring-teach-for-america-to-ohio-1106749.html

More:
http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2011/04/03/kasich-plan-would-let-parents-fix-failing-schools.html
The highlights here:
- If parents disagree with the way the kids are being taught they can petition to have it changed, by law
- School funding at a per pupil level instead of levee based.  So I don't see how poor communities would be disadvantaged here.

Are you kidding? He's hardly progressive in any sense of the word....  I'm well aware of his proposed "solutions." Do you really want me to look ... <clip>
Are you actually calling me out ...<clip>
Wow, let me spell this out for you...<clip>
I think I wasn't overly presumptuous.  I asked for a source, I dug up some more info.  I was confronted as if I was an ignorant moron unable to look up information.  (part B.)

Generally though, I just wish people would quit assigning motive to my posts.  I am presenting ideas and asking questions.  They may not be great ideas or miraculous questions... but they do not have labels on them to the tone of: "You said ____." (unless you actually said it.)  If you read that, I guess I'm sorry, thus the idea about the signature change.  I'm trying to come up with solutions where we can all continue but I keep getting presented with belittling comments like:

I'd like to think that I am.  Otherwise I'd have left the thread and ignored everything else.

Or, you can assume that I'm an "evil troll" and continue to harass me. (which of course goes against: "Attack arguments, not people."  I truly hope this sticks.)

Then the next two posts are two people raging... although only in the wrong way.
Thank you for seeing it as well.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #3022 on: August 08, 2011, 06:29:05 pm »

*Put on suit and sunglasses*

Sir : this is a progressive only thread and your mind doesn't suit the though code of the establishment. Please come quietly with me toward the doors.

I had to do it

Seriously though, settle these issues by PM, else it clutter the thread, and ruin vector's afternoon.
But Andir, you're aware that your philosophy doesn't suit the usual progressive mindset, and that you're going to pack some heat if you express it here, even if it's only passive aggressive behavior. Responding aggressively will only worsen the matter untill it reach shit storm level. If you're not ready for a bit of bashing, don't post in thread full of people who violently disagree with you.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3023 on: August 08, 2011, 06:31:27 pm »

Everyone else pretty much agrees on the topics for the most part.  There has been little dissenting opinion through the whole thread.  A few branches here or there, but in general but nobody is climbing other trees... when I gave dissenting opinion it was met with harsh overtones.

The "harsh overtones" weren't due to "dissenting opinion".

"Dissenting opinion" does not mean acting like an ass. Jumping in and saying "guess we should call this the 'angst' thread, eh?" is not a good way of establishing dissent or expressing your opinion. I disagree with people all the time and nobody's called me out on things like that, partly because I try not to do things like that.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3024 on: August 08, 2011, 06:35:18 pm »

I've warned Andir for the post.  I hope that a spirit of calm will be able to prevail in this thread, although it might be a difficult thing.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3025 on: August 08, 2011, 06:56:54 pm »

I deleted some continued bickering, which happened despite my thread warning.  If the bickering continues after this post, all users involved will be muted or banned.  Please do not continue bickering.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3026 on: August 08, 2011, 07:03:35 pm »

Thanks for stepping in, Toady, and I'm sorry you had to do it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #3027 on: August 08, 2011, 07:05:16 pm »

So for your regularly scheduled progressive rage, I'd like to introduce you today to more INTERNET censorship.

For context : Turkey is a democracy (on top of being a truly delicious bird) and despite some human right abuse , is expected to enter the European union in a few years. But there as in the rest of the EU, the government want to be able to censor information.

Now censoring information and forbidding public unfounded hate speech toward are two completely different things, and while I happily support the latter, I staunchly oppose the former.

Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3028 on: August 08, 2011, 07:09:08 pm »

It's unclear how much censorship is really going on here.

Earlier this month, BTK head Tayfun Acarer told reporters that the accusations of censorship were baseless, as use of the four proposed state filters — children’s profile, family profile, domestic or standard profile — would be voluntary. However, Mr. Acarer gave few details of how the system would work.

I agree that the whole situation sounds sketchy, but it doesn't sound as bad as, say, the Chinese censorship, or what was proposed in Australia.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #3029 on: August 08, 2011, 07:14:00 pm »

Any sort of censorship can be abused.
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 852