Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 855355 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #2955 on: August 08, 2011, 11:36:58 am »

the President and two Democratic Senators are thugs beating up defenseless rich people, because they want to eliminate a tax break on corporate jets.
Oh, and killing the American Dream along the way, of course. Those are really, really sad.

Hey Andir, why don't you join my Andesite Table Party? Everybody gets to be a millionaire, and nobody has to work or pay taxes! Also, everybody gets a unicorn.

Damn, and I try so hard not to be sarcastic anymore.
Sweet! You got my v-
Oh. Damn. And I had a saddle and a name picked out and everything.  :-[

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Progressive Angst Thread
« Reply #2956 on: August 08, 2011, 11:42:16 am »

Should change the name of this to "Vector's Progressive Angst Thread"  ::)

(user warned for this post)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 06:36:02 pm by Toady One »
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: August 08, 2011, 11:48:48 am »

Dude, even Nikov didn't come into this thread talking like this.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2958 on: August 08, 2011, 11:55:04 am »

you're reading a lot more into my post than I'm reading into yours (as in: drawing false conclusions).
All I read into that was someone doesn't like the Tea Party so they draw up a comic to make people laugh, point, and share it elsewhere for whatever reason... furthering the sentiment of the original author even if it's not the same as their own.  If we stopped regurgitating the opinions of those that hate the opinions will go away.  Re-posting it, however, supports the idea that the entire movement is "fail."  (make sense?)

While we're on the subject of political cartoons and hate, here's a couple of gems from renowned artist and asshat Chuck Asay, formerly of the Colorado Springs Gazette:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, Norwegians are all pussies because they don't pack heat, and the President and two Democratic Senators are thugs beating up defenseless rich people, because they want to eliminate a tax break on corporate jets. Glad to see that political cartoons never commit hyperbole.... ::)

Words fail me.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2959 on: August 08, 2011, 11:57:45 am »

We could start a new thread about Tea-related politics. While the Tea Party probably does have several positions that are problematic for social progressivism, we don't seem to be talking about them, but are instead discussing fiscal policy. While important, I'm not sure if it's the right topic for the Progressive Rage thread, and I'm not sure whether it's worth risking a politics-related flamewar and subsequent lock for something that seems off-topic.

I dunno, I'm not the arbiter of topicceptability, so that's just my impression.

Now, the two political cartoons RedKing just posted probably are more on-topic.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2960 on: August 08, 2011, 12:02:41 pm »

We could start a new thread about Tea-related politics. While the Tea Party probably does have several positions that are problematic for social progressivism, we don't seem to be talking about them, but are instead discussing fiscal policy. While important, I'm not sure if it's the right topic for the Progressive Rage thread, and I'm not sure whether it's worth risking a politics-related flamewar and subsequent lock for something that seems off-topic.

I dunno, I'm not the arbiter of topicceptability, so that's just my impression.

Now, the two political cartoons RedKing just posted probably are more on-topic.

We already have the debt limit thread. Considering that is the crisis manufactured by the tea party in order to destroy America, it would be the best place for it.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #2961 on: August 08, 2011, 12:03:00 pm »

you're reading a lot more into my post than I'm reading into yours (as in: drawing false conclusions).
All I read into that was someone doesn't like the Tea Party so they draw up a comic to make people laugh, point, and share it elsewhere for whatever reason... furthering the sentiment of the original author even if it's not the same as their own.  If we stopped regurgitating the opinions of those that hate the opinions will go away.  Re-posting it, however, supports the idea that the entire movement is "fail."  (make sense?)

While we're on the subject of political cartoons and hate, here's a couple of gems from renowned artist and asshat Chuck Asay, formerly of the Colorado Springs Gazette:

So, Norwegians are all pussies because they don't pack heat, and the President and two Democratic Senators are thugs beating up defenseless rich people, because they want to eliminate a tax break on corporate jets. Glad to see that political cartoons never commit hyperbole.... ::)

I wonder if Chuck Asay would be delighted to get robbed at gunpoint, then stabbed, the forced to see his wife raped before his eyes and then to see the robbers go with his children under their arms while they burn the house where he lay dieing?

If not, why the hell does he like vikings? Because that's exactly what modern days viking would do.

It's what make me always laugh in the male warrior cult. The last thing it's follower would like is to live in a society where such men are common (and rightly so).
I mean, little American/European boy with a fascination for gun/violence, just go into the nearest poor quarter, scream appropriate racial slur at the top of your lungs, and you'll be delighted to meet a few boy sharing your interest who will quickly introduce you to several extralegal and violent activities you revere.
You're welcome. (Don't worry, they are real mens, they hate gays and disregard women, usually).
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 12:25:45 pm by Phmcw »
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: August 08, 2011, 12:17:25 pm »

I have no idea what it is with people treating every word typed like a knife stabbing at them... but this is why I say angst.  Arguing over petty word usage.  It seems to be common here.

My biggest/only regret right now is not being able to remove this thread from my Updated Topics page or being able to ignore the passive aggressive rage here.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: August 08, 2011, 12:24:06 pm »

I have no idea what it is with people treating every word typed like a knife stabbing at them... but this is why I say angst.  Arguing over petty word usage.  It seems to be common here.

My biggest/only regret right now is not being able to remove this thread from my Updated Topics page or being able to ignore the passive aggressive rage here.
I know exactly what the problem is. It's the way you are using the words you're typing.

Let's start with this:

Translated into meanings that I read into it:

No one here is actually raging, all you are doing is airing petty grievances that aren't actually worth typing about, and yet all of you actually say it. And this emoticon at the end in case you really didn't get that this entire thread pisses me off.

If you don't want people thinking you're making stabs at them, stop using your words in a knife-like manner.

Edit: Then again, I seem to be the only one who has pointed it out, so maybe it's just me!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 12:34:26 pm by Willfor »
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2964 on: August 08, 2011, 12:31:55 pm »

I wonder if Chuck Asay would be delighted to get robbed at gunpoint, then stabbed, the forced to see his wife raped before his eyes and then to see the robbers go with his children under their arms while they burn the house where he lay dieing?

If not, why the hell does he like vikings? Because that's exactly what modern days viking would do.
Considering that most Vikings were traders and craftsmen, it's more likely that the modern variant would force the government to bail out their industries after they leeched them empty into their personal bank accounts...

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: August 08, 2011, 12:38:13 pm »

Surely, since you seem so annoyed by the collections of words in this thread, Andir, you can understand why people can be so annoyed by words?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #2966 on: August 08, 2011, 12:39:04 pm »

Considering that most Vikings were traders and craftsmen, it's more likely that the modern variant would force the government to bail out their industries after they leeched them empty into their personal bank accounts...
No PHMCW is actually more or less right, if a bit generalized.

Vikings =/= Norse

Vikings were pirates of Norse(Norrøn) culture.

It started by meaning "To go on an expedition" and was later a term to explain people doing it.

Like, Sailing and Sailor.

And the Norse were actually a mix, farmers half the year, levies the other.

Anyway, I know quite a bit on the subject, but this is not a "History of Northern Europe" thread.

Suffice to say is that while PHMCW is right that vikings weren't nice fellas, no one else were back then either, Vikings was just extra devilified because they happened to be the enemies of the guys writing books.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2967 on: August 08, 2011, 12:45:10 pm »

Admittedly, Asay is a tool even by conservative cartoonist standards. But on the whole, I find that most conservative cartoonists are just plain bad at their job. Asay, Wayne Stayskal (Tampa Tribune) and Brian Farrington (Arizona Republic) are typically the most egregious mainstream ones in that respect. Asay and Stayskal were the only two I know of with the temerity to defend the NRA in the immediate aftermath of Columbine and the Virginia Tech shootings.

Which isn't to say that all conservative cartoonists are bad, or that all liberal ones are good. Robert Arial (of The State, Columbia SC) is a conservative cartoonist whom I respect, even when I disagree with his characterization of things. There are certainly some liberal cartoonists with poor arts skills and/or a tendency to preach in the most shrill and hyperbolic tones. Kevin Kallaugher (at The Economist, who did the one Siquo posted) is neither. Dude's an awesome cartoonist, and I think it shows in this one. The Tea Party is, in fact, dictating GOP policy despite its relatively small representation in the GOP. The GOP is, in turn, dictating American fiscal policy despite being the minority party in government. American economic problems, despite being only 1/4 to 1/5 of the world economy, is dragging the world along with it. And with a vocal Tea Party caucus that was ready to drive the US off the cliff into default and argued that economist and other "so-called" experts didn't matter because Bachmann et. al. believed it was no big deal...I find the blinders bit hard to argue with.

In short, don't hate the playa, hate the game.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: August 08, 2011, 01:00:05 pm »

Translated into meanings that I read into it:

No one here is actually raging, all you are doing is airing petty grievances that aren't actually worth typing about, and yet all of you actually say it. And this emoticon at the end in case you really didn't get that this entire thread pisses me off.

If you don't want people thinking you're making stabs at them, stop using your words in a knife-like manner.
... and I'm told that I'm the one putting words in people's mouths.  Stop reading into my posts what you want to read into them and it won't feel like "stabby-town."  I was told not to translate.  I expect the same in return.

Surely, since you seem so annoyed by the collections of words in this thread, Andir, you can understand why people can be so annoyed by words?
It's not the words that anger me here.

However, some (I better underline and bold this so people don't think I'm telling them how they think...) of you are raging, in a "happy" circle, and whenever someone brings up a topic that you don't agree with you attack the posts (and sometimes the poster.)  There are just so many angles and possibilities and anyone perceived as not generally agree with the majority here is promptly jumped on.  Generally I'm a very progressive person.  (" !! Did he just say that yet he still disagrees with parts of what we say!?")  I believe that some change is good, but other change is not.  I had thought that people here would discuss topics instead of just posting a link, agreeing to the last and moving on to the next.  I was wrong.  I'm apparently an evil racist conservative woman-hating terrorist bigot.  I never knew!  I should be outcast.  :-\

Unless someone here has actually acted upon what they are saying, it is passive aggressive angst.  You sit around going, "This is bad!" and "Yeah!  That's the truth!" but never contemplate actually acting upon it or resolving the situation.  Instead, you sit around bickering about wording.  If you are doing something besides tearing apart posts word by word:  Bravo! I commend you.

I haven't seen it yet.

In short, don't hate the playa, hate the game.
Without playas there is no game.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: August 08, 2011, 01:03:28 pm »

Thank you for actually explaining what you meant instead of making a one line post which was impossible for me to read the way you wanted me to read it.
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 852