Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 855019 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #2070 on: July 22, 2011, 08:45:59 pm »

If a black man uses the word 'nigger', in most contexts, it isn't a man using the word 'nigger' that is relevant. It's a man using a word that traditionally denigrates himself, which everyone is free to do, regardless of race, ethnicity, or other social grouping. If a white man uses that particular word, it's a man using a word that traditionally denigrates others, which is the problem. The specific word isn't actually the problem, it's what that word means in context that is. In much the same way that a punch isn't a problem if, say, a punching bag is on the other end, but is one if a face is.

Also, I apologize for the gender bias in this post >_____>
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #2071 on: July 22, 2011, 09:04:15 pm »

If a black man uses the word 'nigger', in most contexts, it isn't a man using the word 'nigger' that is relevant. It's a man using a word that traditionally denigrates himself, which everyone is free to do, regardless of race, ethnicity, or other social grouping. If a white man uses that particular word, it's a man using a word that traditionally denigrates others, which is the problem. The specific word isn't actually the problem, it's what that word means in context that is. In much the same way that a punch isn't a problem if, say, a punching bag is on the other end, but is one if a face is.

Also, I apologize for the gender bias in this post >_____>

Well explained, where I am from we don't have many black people compared to middle eastern people, who's derogatory word is 'perker' work's much the same way, they call themselves so, their friends so, but a white man saying it should watch his ass. As a white man, gay, who used hang out with kurdish, turkish and persian immigrants, I feel the way to get over this is to devalue the word instead of banning it.

In other slightly similar news, Norway was bombed and civilian young people attending a politcal youth camp was shot, last death toll I saw was 17 or so, but theres probably a few more. Now what really strikes me when reading the articles is the fact that they go well over their out of their way to specify the terrorist was norwegian, tall, blond and blue eyed.

I can sorta follow it, trying to make sure no one suspects the middle eastern people, but it also feels.. Wrong to me somehow, the way they make an already caught mans skin, hair and eyes important. If they we're looking for him I'd have demanded more information, but they have him already. Just feels a bit racist to me somehow.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: July 22, 2011, 09:11:06 pm »

. . . I've had people joke about raping me, just for the lulz.  Are you saying I should have laughed along because they weren't trying to offend me, having been informed of such?

Kind of like when jerks would pass insults between each other about me in high school, play keep away with my stuff, etc and then casually remark "You know we're just messing with you, right?" while wearing condescending smirks?

No, not really.  It'd be like if you'd known some of your friends had gotten hauled off and nearly beaten to death (seen all the results of that, and the times when they were too sick with themselves to act, and how it happened over the years, and what it was like when they revealed it), and you yourself had sat in a room listening to someone beating on your door, shouting "let me in, let me in, let me in" (terrified that they were going to take you this time, knowing you had to protect the other person with you, beyond horrified, painfully aware of your weakness and your weight) and there'd been the occasional punch--not the real thing, but reminding you of it, terrifying you, striking to the bone, while others looked on widely smiling, because it wasn't even unusual enough to glory over.  Just a bit of fun.  Reminding you of your place in the universe.

You take to keeping an eye on your escape route everywhere you go, just in case, and you sleep with weaponry by your bed.  You know it won't do anything.  There's no lock on your door, and people keep on joking about punching you.  Hell, your window doesn't close all the way, either, and you know it just takes one imaginative douchebag climbing over the waist-high fence and taking a knife to the screen, and looking in, and then... there you are.  A statistic.

Everyone knows it would be your fault, anyway, because that's what they say about people like you.  If you are treated violently, it was your fault.  You must have wanted it.  You invited it.  You wore the wrong clothes that day.  You weren't vigilant enough.  You put down your glass.  You were abandoned by your friend/guard, who wanted to do something else.  And there you are.

And then some miserable fuck says "He won't come play D&D with you?  Man, let's beat the fucker to death!  His kind love that, don't they?"

And then they wonder why you aren't laughing, and get angry at you for being unable to take a joke, and they tell you you shouldn't have made them feel bad about themselves.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: July 22, 2011, 09:11:52 pm »

So, a question about slurs or whatever in entertainment. Any opinions as to whether the word bitch should be allowed? The only time I could think of it being used in a discriminatory way was
in the Wayne Bradey Show sketch from the Dave Chappelle show, when Wayne Bradey, who turns out to be a pimp is collecting profits from some of his "employees" and introduces them to Dave, who replies with "evening Bitches"
and then later when one of the hookers only has one bill instead of 3~4 and he says "Is Wayne Bradey going to have to choke a bitch?".(Look this up, I laughed really hard.)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: July 22, 2011, 09:14:05 pm »

So, a question about slurs or whatever in entertainment. Any opinions as to whether the word bitch should be allowed? The only time I could think of it being used in a discriminatory way was
in the Wayne Bradey Show sketch from the Dave Chappelle show, when Wayne Bradey, who turns out to be a pimp is collecting profits from some of his "employees" and introduces them to Dave, who replies with "evening Bitches"
and then later when one of the hookers only has one bill instead of 3~4 and he says "Is Wayne Bradey going to have to choke a bitch?".(Look this up, I laughed really hard.)

Look at the above post and guess about how funny I'd think that was.

Frankly, I really fucking hate that word, and I hear it used constantly.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: July 22, 2011, 09:17:54 pm »

Sorry. It was a fifteen minute sketch though, and that wasn't much of it.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #2076 on: July 22, 2011, 09:27:12 pm »

The word bitch is to me in no way offensive, probably because it's been my quite well loved nickname for 6 years in 3 different languages, "Kælling/Schlampe/Bitch". It even started because I was bi and quite a bit more effeminate in the start. And because if you say my first name Kenni really fast it sounds like Kælling. Now, the two other languages don't mean female dogs, but they have the exact same place in the language(Though I'm unsure if the german word is as accurate, depends how trustworthy my german teacher was I guess.)

Yeah I don't have point besides, what might be hurtful one place is a well meaning word another place, de constructing the bad meaning.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: July 22, 2011, 09:35:54 pm »

-snip-

Sounds like about the same sentiment, to me.  I was a wierdo, a geek, probably gay, and non-christian.  It was my place to be "messed with", therefore I was supposed to be ok with or meekly accepting of this, and the principal of my school stated his belief in a newspaper interview that it's the kids who don't fit in who are the real troublemakers.  Same stuff.  Different labels and orders of magnitude.

And I understand your pain.  Really, I do.

It'd be like if you'd known some of your friends had gotten hauled off and nearly beaten to death (seen all the results of that, and the times when they were too sick with themselves to act, and how it happened over the years, and what it was like when they revealed it)

This is exactly why I cannot detail many of the experiences that have shaped my perspective.

what it was like when they revealed it

I am bound by oaths relating to this.

Also, that was a really bad summary of that Wayne Brady skit :P
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: July 22, 2011, 09:38:39 pm »

All I can say, really, is that I'm hoping the world stops feeling so overwhelmingly hostile someday.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: July 22, 2011, 09:46:43 pm »

The part with the sandwich didn't fit in there, which was the best part.
"Dave, give me your sandwich."
"Okay, okay, I'm sorry."

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #2080 on: July 22, 2011, 09:55:34 pm »

How much history do you guys know? Did you know that before the greek and roman world view won through that the rest of europe actually believed a woman was worth more? For completely logical, sensible reasons. Celtic tribes even had female leaders/queens.

If a Celtic village was raided, and both men and women fought, and by sheer chance of really bad luck, more women died, it'd be harder to re-establish the cities power because there would less women to give birth, to cause growth. When things are worth more, you also protect it more. This might be non-issue today, but I feel it's important to know why women didn't go to war and stayed home.

I also think many feminists should remember that it wasn't men who ruled the world, it was noble men, the peasant man was less worth than the peasant woman, on the simple principle that

Women = Gives birth to more soldiers/workers
Men = Is a single soldier/worker

Again, this is 100% back looking to reflect on how it was, what it became and what it is.

I would also like Feminists to change name though, are they fighting for women or fighting for equality? I really don't know, seems to be the first since Feminists were really butthurt when men got the same rights as women regarding children here in Denmark. The Civil Rights movement weren't called "Black Rights movement" for a reason.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: July 22, 2011, 09:56:17 pm »

"White people love Wayne Brady because he makes Bryant Gumbel look like Malcom X."

The whole thing is a play on Wayne Brady's wholesome celebrity image.  He even hosts one of my Sesame Street DVDs.  So they have him act out every violent/vulgar racist stereotype and get away with it, because he's Wayne Brady and nobody would believe it.  None of the acts themselves are supposed to be funny, only the fact that it's Wayne Brady going waaaaay out of character in a heavily lampshaded fashion.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: July 22, 2011, 09:59:48 pm »

I would also like Feminists to change name though, are they fighting for women or fighting for equality? I really don't know, seems to be the first since Feminists were really butthurt when men got the same rights as women regarding children here in Denmark. The Civil Rights movement weren't called "Black Rights movement" for a reason.

There's a reason why this is called the "progressive rage thread" rather than the "feminist rage thread."

Not all feminists are made alike, nor do we try to be monolithic in the least.  What I can say is that I am interested chiefly in equality.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: July 22, 2011, 10:02:00 pm »

"White people love Wayne Brady because he makes Bryant Gumbel look like Malcom X."

The whole thing is a play on Wayne Brady's wholesome celebrity image.  He even hosts one of my Sesame Street DVDs.  So they have him act out every violent/vulgar racist stereotype and get away with it, because he's Wayne Brady and nobody would believe it.  None of the acts themselves are supposed to be funny, only the fact that it's Wayne Brady going waaaaay out of character in a heavily lampshaded fashion.
I had figured this, as I'd seen the show before and the Mooney sketch before this one (why do I even own these DVDs???).

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #2084 on: July 22, 2011, 10:02:06 pm »

There's a reason why this is called the "progressive rage thread" rather than the "feminist rage thread."

Not all feminists are made alike, nor do we try to be monolithic in the least.  What I can say is that I am interested chiefly in equality.

But then why not call yourself something else? Should men who want equal rights be called Masculinists then? Seems more like the stage of a bad movie of women and men fighting.
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 852