Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854560 times)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #1905 on: July 21, 2011, 11:24:18 am »

As a pedestrian almost all the times I've almost been run over(and the one time I WAS run over) by a car its been driven by the elderly.  At this point my paranoia over elderly drivers shouldn't count as ageism.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: July 21, 2011, 11:53:08 am »

Also, physics is one of your "useless subjects" if compared to any sort of Engineering (theoretical vs. practical application of sciences), so I'm rather inclined to laugh at your statement.
Not really.  "Theoretical" science has an interesting tendancy to become practical when new discoveries are made (same goes for pure maths).  You'll never find anything truly new if you just work on what you already have.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: July 21, 2011, 12:09:06 pm »

There's hardly a berth of academic work out there and I won't launch into the sticky morass that is tenure and academian politics- and those jobs are also getting cut or de-funded in the US. Theoretical science is only viable when you've got enough of a name for yourself already. Again, this is merely based on the generalising trend. Feel free to buck it but those jobs are disappearing and people are getting paid less for them.

Know what is still going strong? Technician work, lab work, patent tech that hasn't been outsourced, consulting for developing countries, science + business administration/law - the kind of work that requires a practical science degree and a good head in business.

The trends are that we're outsourcing our research and mid level jobs and higher percentages of our grad level students are from abroad. Basically the middle class is being half-outsourced so that we're left with grunts or those on top or are still useful. You don't want to be one of those on the bottom.

EDIT: Also, we're failing our students with a half-assed education that hardly prepares us for "life". That's a whole other "rage". ;) I don't actually get ragey - but yeah, things are starting to catch up to us.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 12:18:17 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: July 21, 2011, 12:18:20 pm »

I think some of the strongest messages are delivered by showing the audience something in its raw form.  Try to incorporate a biased perspective, and people put up their defenses.  You'll only reach those who already agree with you.  Strip down some element of reality into its basest components and/or place those components into another formula to see how things interact differently.  People are left to make their own judgments, when presented an idea that is familiar to them in a format that is unfamiliar.
The problem is that people first have to recognize something as wrong. Now, with 50's style racism you can assume that almost everyone will see the problem and you need not give it any special treatment. However, when it comes to literary maltreatment of for example women or disabled persons, that's often not the case and if people don't see it as wrong, describing it in it's raw form is only going to get people to agree with your book instead of with normal morals.

At this point, you're basically saying that anyone who writes about morally bad things and doesn't also make their story a tirade against those things, is essentially promoting them. I'd rather give some credit to the reader's intelligence and not oblige writers to turn their stories into moral lectures or else be branded pro-slavery or pro-rape or what have you.
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: July 21, 2011, 12:28:35 pm »

Let's not all turn into bloody radical objectivists here. I'm pretty sure there's a middle ground between evil racist/sexist/whatever-ist enablers through cultural attitudes and judging everyone based on a children's book they read. There's much more grey area.

Open debate as to what is tolerable is why we have liberal arts majors in the first place ;)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: July 21, 2011, 01:08:19 pm »

As a pedestrian almost all the times I've almost been run over(and the one time I WAS run over) by a car its been driven by the elderly.  At this point my paranoia over elderly drivers shouldn't count as ageism.   :P
Now replace "elderly" with "black" or "jewish" and you see how wrong it is. Even though generalisations keep us alive longer, one should always be aware of them, and avoid them when interacting with others.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: July 21, 2011, 01:41:42 pm »

Now replace "elderly" with "black" or "jewish" and you see how wrong it is. Even though generalisations keep us alive longer, one should always be aware of them, and avoid them when interacting with others.
So... don't ask, don't tell?

What really needs to happen is for people to "move on" with their lives and quit seeking vengeance for someone's freedom of speech.  They are just words.  When words become action, or (in part) teaching... then we have a problem.  I say, "in part," because I feel that kids should be aware of where words come from and why they are considered derogatory.  I do not feel that we should mask all the bad things in life from them and raise our kids in bubbles.

I read most of this thread and I believe there's one solution to solve most of these issues.  Education.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: July 21, 2011, 01:48:20 pm »

After yet another unproductive conversation with my father, I've decided that Glen Beck is in fact a more evil version of the Hypnotoad for conservatives:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5qc-xPNp6k&feature=related

All glory to the Hypnotoad....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: July 21, 2011, 02:37:06 pm »

Even though generalisations keep us alive longer, one should always be aware of them, and avoid them when interacting with others.
Uh, no. I mean don't act on first impressions or generalisations. Do not ever presume they are true when dealing with people.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: July 21, 2011, 03:23:48 pm »

Even though generalisations keep us alive longer, one should always be aware of them, and avoid them when interacting with others.
Uh, no. I mean don't act on first impressions or generalisations. Do not ever presume they are true when dealing with people.

The point there wasn't that you do it, but that you're asking people who hold certain views to not act on them when interacting with others.  Though it's a bit of a jump between "I think black people are dumb, and I know I think that and it's wrong, so I'm going to avoid voicing that and try not to act on it when interacting with black people" and "I think other guys are way more attractive than women . . . when interacting with other guys"

At least that's what it seemed like to me.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: July 21, 2011, 03:43:26 pm »

What really needs to happen is for people to "move on" with their lives and quit seeking vengeance for someone's freedom of speech.  They are just words.  When words become action, or (in part) teaching... then we have a problem.  I say, "in part," because I feel that kids should be aware of where words come from and why they are considered derogatory.  I do not feel that we should mask all the bad things in life from them and raise our kids in bubbles.

I read most of this thread and I believe there's one solution to solve most of these issues.  Education.

There's no such thing as "just words". Words represent ideas that people hold, which affect the things they do.

There's a difference between wanting to "raise your kid in a bubble" and calling people out (or punishing them, in the case of children) for being bigoted, intolerant, and hurtful.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: July 21, 2011, 03:44:00 pm »

They are just words.  When words become action, or (in part) teaching... then we have a problem.

All speech is performative.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: July 21, 2011, 04:40:53 pm »

I don't buy it.  Someone can call me whatever they want and I don't care.  When they start acting on that is when I have a problem.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: July 21, 2011, 04:42:17 pm »

I don't buy it.  Someone can call me whatever they want and I don't care.  When they start acting on that is when I have a problem.

I suspect that, were you termed a dog day in and day out by much of society, you might have a different opinion.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: July 21, 2011, 04:43:47 pm »

You don't seem to understand that the way people talk reflects the way people think, affects the way other people think, and that the way people think and communicate matters in general. It's not a good thing for anyone for there to be bigoted people, or for bigoted people to encourage other people to become bigots, or to ostracize the targets of their bigotry.

Some people are thicker-skinned than others, but some people aren't in a situation where they can be expected to be immune to social pressures. Hell, children being immune to social pressures wouldn't even be a good thing, and you can hardly blame kids for being adversely affected by institutionalized and/or widespread intolerance aimed at them.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 852