Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 857036 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #1140 on: June 25, 2011, 12:52:32 pm »

Why shouldn't we try to understand them?

I meant "we should understand them" as in the usual "poor boy, just made a mistake, don't make him accountable for his actions!" sort of apologia.  Not true understanding of the creation of a circumstance, but sympathy and a sort of white-washing.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: June 25, 2011, 12:55:19 pm »

Okay, that's more reasonable. To be fair, though, while I don't believe that we should excuse the crime, I still think compassion for the person should exist, and that external factors contributing to the crime should be examined. Obviously, if someone commits rape, there's something rather wrong with the person psychosocially no matter how you slice it, whether chronic or acute.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: June 25, 2011, 12:58:49 pm »

I'll feel better about advocating compassion for the perpetrator after our society has begun to provide compassion for the victim.

I think it's a difference between short-term and long-term goals.  Long-term, I agree with you completely.  In the short-term, I kind of don't.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: June 25, 2011, 01:01:46 pm »

In case it's not: Having compassion for the individual does not equate to liking what they do. At all. It does not prevent you from trying, convicting, or punishing rapists. It may, however, serve to make those trials and punishments more reasonable or effective or fair, and may lead to better proactive measures against rape to begin with.
It may also result in unfairly low punishments and show-trails because the poor guy was just "following his nature" and the woman in question was "asking for it"...

If you raise people to believe that only monsters are capable of something, then nothing will be done to make sure people don't do it.
If you teach people that rape is something people do and that the ones who do it are not monsters then what is there to keep them from doing it themselves but fear of punishment? It's not that monsters are the only ones that commit these atrocities but people become monsters by committing them and the fear of becoming a social outcast, a monster if you will, is much more powerful then the fear of punishment.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 01:05:28 pm by Virex »

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: June 25, 2011, 01:04:00 pm »

It may also result in unfairly low punishments and show-trails because the poor guy was just "following his nature" and the woman in question was "asking for it"...

G-Flex is suggesting that we base our compassion on understanding, not fanciful nonsense.

If you teach people that rape is something people do and that the ones who do it are not monsters then what is there to keep them from doing it themselves but fear of punishment? It's not that monsters are the only ones that commit these atrocities but people become monsters by committing them and the fear of becoming a social outcast, a monster if you will, is much more powerful then the fear of punishment.

I would have said something similar, but I think G-Flex meant “monster” as something that was not natural or human rather than something that was morally repulsive and frightening.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 01:08:57 pm by Fenrir »

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: June 25, 2011, 01:06:29 pm »

G-Flex is suggesting that we base our compassion on understanding, not fanciful nonsense.
He's unfortunately not the only one who claims to know what understanding means.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 01:10:15 pm by Virex »

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: June 25, 2011, 01:09:23 pm »

If you have moral principles, which you are adamant about, it's unlikely that you just suddenly snap and break them all.
I've kept all my current ones, even if breaking them wouldn't be shunned or looked down upon (except by myself), since they are more socially acceptable behavious.

So yeah, no. I'm not a potential rapist/killer/domestic abuser/whatever, no matter what way you put it.

There's a huge gap between "moral principles are always upheld perfectly and never change" and "people can suddenly snap and turn from moral superheroes into evil, conniving, bestial rapemongers". Hell, the gap isn't even one-dimensional.

First, people can be just fine in some ways, yet have severe problems in other ways. No, this is not the same as "he seems fine on the outside, but on the inside he's fucked-up". On the inside or the outside, people can be both. People can have horrible problems or inclinations that cause them to do horrible things, but otherwise be pretty okay people. When we don't have any sort of compassion or understanding of this, then these people won't seek help, and will be encouraged, in a way, to act more monstrous (identify people as monsters, and you encourage them to act as such).

Secondly, the psychosocial state of a person can degrade over time. People don't just "suddenly snap" and become completely different people, but people do change. Nobody is constant.
What?
I was adressing Virex posts.
You apprarently read a lot between the lines. Opinions which I neither uphold, nor express.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: June 25, 2011, 01:10:27 pm »

I think the point is that everyone is a potential X, but it's not anything to get excited about.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: June 25, 2011, 01:11:41 pm »

He's not the only one who claims to know what understanding means.

I do not see your point. Understanding means only to perceive the true nature of something, so, if we have compassion for the reasons you have suggested above, we can not say that we have understanding, and, thus, we can not say that our compassion is based upon understanding, as G-Flex was suggesting that it should be.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: June 25, 2011, 01:13:31 pm »

No, but a lot of people will claim it is and use his reasoning as a free card to acquit beasts because "it wasn't their fault". You can say that they shouldn't but you can't prevent them from doing it, it will happen and it will become standard practice. It's just too dangerous to breed understanding for beasts and monsters, because they do not understand us.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: June 25, 2011, 01:16:57 pm »

A person who commits rape is still a person.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: June 25, 2011, 01:23:43 pm »

True, unfortunately. We can't and shouldn't treat them like beasts, if I am giving that impression, but I don't think treating them as just a fellow being is OK. That means we shouldn't take their basic rights but it should be made clear that they no longer have a place in society if they refuse to respect the most basic of rights in existence.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: June 25, 2011, 01:24:21 pm »

I imagine we're agreed, then.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: June 25, 2011, 01:25:06 pm »

It's just too dangerous to breed understanding for beasts and monsters, because they do not understand us.

And this style of thinking is the shortest line to becoming a monster oneself.  Every societal injustice and most individual acts of cruelty operate under the justification that those who suffer are at best lesser humans anyway.  It is the ultimate slippery slope.

True, unfortunately. We can't and shouldn't treat them like beasts, if I am giving that impression, but I don't think treating them as just a fellow being is OK. That means we shouldn't take their basic rights but it should be made clear that they no longer have a place in society if they refuse to respect the most basic of rights in existence.

Ok, I basically agree with this.  I'm just saying be careful how you frame things, especially to yourself.  You mentioned a cynical awareness of your own potential to betray your morality, and this is exactly where that cynicism is well placed.

Don't feel singled out.  This is one thing that always sets off alarms to me when I see it, and I give everyone who sets off those alarms the same lecture.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 01:28:34 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: June 25, 2011, 01:27:36 pm »

I think the point is that everyone is a potential X, but it's not anything to get excited about.
Yes, I know that. But he could have posted it without quoting me, which looks like a "Oh, silly you. Let's get you educated".
I am perfectly aware that this problem is multilayered. I just wanted to express my disagrement with Virex.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 852