Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 856039 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #1515 on: July 11, 2011, 01:41:55 pm »

I read it as Vector's Progressive Rape Thread.  I am disappoint, in more ways than one.

. . .

I hope this is a really unfunny version of a "posting to watch" thinger, because otherwise the "rage" part of the title may have application.

The main reason being that my mind saw that there ???

Yeah, but then to say that you're disappointed that it wasn't?  :-\

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: July 11, 2011, 01:44:51 pm »

Irony guys?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: July 11, 2011, 01:47:06 pm »

Irony guys?
Sorry, but no. There's irony, and then there's just poor taste.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: July 11, 2011, 01:51:47 pm »

I meant I was disappointed that my mind would see that.

Chill the fuck out people ;)
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: July 11, 2011, 10:19:11 pm »

So on... any ... other topic ... at all. Ummmmmmmmmmm:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Economy-Faces-a-Jolt-as-nytimes-3470532037.html?x=0

I just can't wrap my head around why businesses don't seem to get this.

The bad economic times keep continuing because businesses won't hire, while strangely complaining about no one buying anything. The rule is that people can't spend when they are unemployed. Here, we have people who are unemployed and businesses complaining about no one spending. The solution, hire. The stock market is back where it was in the 12000 range pre recession....

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/exclusive/glum-restless-recent-grads-struggles-could-hurt-obama-130209752.html
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 10:22:18 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: July 11, 2011, 10:22:12 pm »

"Well, it won't make any difference on the market as a whole if we're the only ones who start hiring, so we'll just be burning money." Everyone wants it to be someone else who takes the risk that they know somebody has to take, but they're a-okay with profiting once it's a sure thing. Hooray for humanity, eh?

EDIT: Oh, hey, you have an avatar now, and it is the aptest thing.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: July 11, 2011, 10:26:06 pm »

"Well, it won't make any difference on the market as a whole if we're the only ones who start hiring, so we'll just be burning money." Everyone wants it to be someone else who takes the risk that they know somebody has to take, but they're a-okay with profiting once it's a sure thing. Hooray for humanity, eh?

EDIT: Oh, hey, you have an avatar now, and it is the aptest thing.

Yups, just lovely. I just can't imagine that there is nothing that someone could put these unemployed people to so they could provide for themselves. It truly is mind boggling. The large companies have the resources, but appear to be too content or lazy to figure out a way to reinvest in labor/hiring. *sigh*

I've been studying real estate law too much, but rent out patches in these suburbanite yards and grow food to sell if push comes down to shove. Might be feasible if someone has a green thumb. It's late, I'm overworked, and tired, so I don't know if that'd actually do it.

Edit: Thankies on the avatar. I thought "This is why we can't have nice things" fit rather well. :)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 10:33:23 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: July 11, 2011, 11:40:32 pm »

Hey, just a question, where is that one in six rape statistic from? I asked a couple people about the plausibility of it, and
most people (half were women, don't claim skewed results) said that's probably not right unless you count third world countries and the like.
And someone even pointed out that a lot of legal cases for rape should probably be excluded from the count,
as there are tons of stories about women claiming rape because of issues in the relationship (pregnancy).
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 11:49:33 pm by blackmagechill »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: July 11, 2011, 11:47:36 pm »

Hey, just a question, where is that one in six rape statistic from? I asked a couple people about the plausibility of it, and
most people (half were women, don't scream skewed) said that's probably not right unless you count third world countries and the like.
And someone even pointed out that a lot of legal cases for rape should probably be excluded from the count,
as there are tons of stories about women claiming rape because of issues in the relationship (pregnancy).

Your loaded language is bothering me.  A lot.

Some facts about rape in America.

US rape statistics

Oh, and recommended reading: This bullshit is, in my experiences, kind of standard.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: July 11, 2011, 11:57:12 pm »

most people (half were women, don't scream skewed) said that's probably not right unless you count third world countries and the like.

Your loaded language is bothering me.  A lot.

Some facts about rape in America.

US rape statistics

Oh, and recommended reading: This bullshit is, in my experiences, kind of standard.
Fixed the loaded language and stuff, and I'm looking over these statistics to see if they counted court cases where the charges were either dropped or there was reasonable doubt.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: July 11, 2011, 11:59:06 pm »

Probably not.  I believe it isn't from court cases, but from reports to police stations and the like.

And you wanna know fucking why?

Because unconscious women can consent to gang-rape in this country.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: July 12, 2011, 12:03:01 am »

Okay, so they probably discluded the thing he mentioned (this probably happens literally all the time here). The unconscious thing is crazy, and shows jurors need to be reviewed a lot more then what is currently going on.
EDIT: Okay, it looks like I have a very narrow definition of rape and sexual abuse. And, seeing some of the stuff that passes for sexual abuse, I might actually be a victim, maybe? Wow, that sounds dumb, but it depends on your definition, I guess.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 12:16:59 am by blackmagechill »

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: July 12, 2011, 12:33:34 am »

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/440/game-changer
This week on This American Life: natural gas drilling corruption, ho! >_<

Certainly worth an hour listening to.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: July 12, 2011, 12:39:47 am »

EDIT: Okay, it looks like I have a very narrow definition of rape and sexual abuse. And, seeing some of the stuff that passes for sexual abuse, I might actually be a victim, maybe? Wow, that sounds dumb, but it depends on your definition, I guess.

In general, when someone treats your body as though it is not your property and is theirs to drool over and touch, as though you did not inhabit it, that is considered sexual abuse.

There's a lot of victims, of all kinds of abuses.  The fact that they're common does not mean they don't hurt those who endure them.

So... maybe, maybe not.  In general, that isn't something I can tell you =)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: July 12, 2011, 12:54:32 am »

Of course, there's a flip side to discussing something as serious as sexual assault/abuse: There's an inherent danger when you use the same word to refer to all varieties even when the severity varies to such a degree that sometimes the difference winds up seeming (sort of) qualitative, not even just quantitative.

Obviously, all assault is bad, all abuse is bad, and all forms of rape are bad, but when talking about statistics, it helps to define exactly what's being talked about, and distinguish between different forms/degrees of those things when feasible, or else you risk alienating the people you're trying to educate/convince.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 852