Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 803 804 [805] 806 807 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 856716 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #12060 on: February 22, 2012, 08:55:24 pm »

Yeah... you can prevent death and still be incredibly cruel and, indeed, outright malicious. The lesser evil is still evil. I'd be willing to trade cruel and malicious for cruel jackasses, though, sure.

One problem: Even if they're so hard against abortion because they think it's murder, they think it's murder for purely religious reasons, and purely religious reasoning is not really something that is supposed to be involved in the United States government/law/legal system.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #12061 on: February 22, 2012, 08:56:44 pm »

I'll just take it as a compliment :)

Yeah... you can prevent death and still be incredibly cruel and, indeed, outright malicious. The lesser evil is still evil. I'd be willing to trade cruel and malicious for cruel jackasses, though, sure.

One problem: Even if they're so hard against abortion because they think it's murder, they think it's murder for purely religious reasons,

I think the universality of this is often overstated. 

I personally see abortion as a moral grey area, where there is so much ambiguity about the nature of unborn life and so many potential circumstances involved in the whole pregancy/birthing/parenting process, that I can't possibly say whether it's right or wrong and for whom.  There is no religion behind my stance on the issue.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 09:01:49 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12062 on: February 22, 2012, 09:00:53 pm »

Yeah I meant Truean.

Whoopsies!
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12063 on: February 22, 2012, 09:01:44 pm »

One problem: Even if they're so hard against abortion because they think it's murder, they think it's murder for purely religious reasons, and purely religious reasoning is not really something that is supposed to be involved in the United States government/law/legal system.
I'd go with purely metaphysical instead of purely religious, just to be careful there. Belief in a soul or a person becoming a person at conception doesn't necessarily require a religious investment. There's also the potential argument, which can be purely secular (ridiculous in its logical extremes and possibly hypocritical when applying to situations that would result in the child ending up a situation that would viciously curtail its potential, but still).

S'not saying that a great deal of the pre-life (ah, I remembered that. Not a typo, to be clear) people in the US aren't religiously motivated, but yeah.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12064 on: February 22, 2012, 09:04:55 pm »

I'd go with purely metaphysical instead of purely religious, just to be careful there. Belief in a soul or a person becoming a person at conception doesn't necessarily require a religious investment. There's also the potential argument, which can be purely secular (ridiculous in its logical extremes and possibly hypocritical when applying to situations that would result in the child ending up a situation that would viciously curtail its potential, but still).

There is no "potential argument" that actually makes sense.

Also, in the case of the actual anti-choice movement that actually exists in the US, yes, it's religious. Also, when you start talking about belief in a supernatural "soul" that exists in every person... yeah, I'd call that kind of belief "religious".
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #12065 on: February 22, 2012, 09:07:05 pm »

Also, in the case of the actual anti-choice movement that actually exists in the US, yes, it's religious. Also, when you start talking about belief in a supernatural "soul" that exists in every person... yeah, I'd call that kind of belief "religious".

Can't a person just believe that the point at which an unborn child can experience meaningful suffering is ill-defined, and thus potentially inflicting that should be avoided if at all possible?
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12066 on: February 22, 2012, 09:10:37 pm »

They can believe that, but I'd call it very irrational to say that it even might begin at conception; there is essentially no way a blastocyst can "experience meaningful suffering" any more than a sample of organ tissue can.

Of course, this is all pretty irrelevant. Virtually all pro-life movement in the US is religiously-motivated, and that's what I'm talking about.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12067 on: February 22, 2012, 09:10:51 pm »

The lesser evil is still evil.
Well we really only have two options here since the baby already exists (again, going logically along with the premise of "the fetus is human and has human rights").

We can abort (which would be murder), or we can face the negative consequences (9 months of pregnancy, putting the kid up for adoption or raising it, etc).

I dunno about you, but I'd go with the latter.

'Course it's completely different with the opposite premise (fetus is not human). Then there's no murder, no obligation, none of that.

Err... what?

One thing I've always noticed and been bemused by is the fact religious folk have a better case for the unborn child not having rights, since they can claim the soul isn't in there yet. Non religious arguments don't have an easy catch-all like that, since they have to debate "what makes people human" and all that junk to determine if the child is or isn't.

I'm sorry, but claiming all arguments for unborn children having rights to be based in religion is utter bullshit.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12068 on: February 22, 2012, 09:14:59 pm »

I'm sorry, but claiming all arguments for unborn children having rights to be based in religion is utter bullshit.

• Calling every single stage of prenatal development an "unborn child" is loaded language.
  • The politically-relevant arguments are religiously-based, at least in the United States.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12069 on: February 22, 2012, 09:15:16 pm »

We can abort (which would be murder), or we can face the negative consequences (9 months of pregnancy, putting the kid up for adoption or raising it, etc).

I dunno about you, but I'd go with the latter.
I agree that the latter seems much better as you framed it. As such, I agree, if I impregnated a girl and the fetus was showing signs of a serious disability, I would tell her in my opinion I would like to keep it, although as I'm not the one carrying the baby the final say isn't exactly up to me... Regardless, I'm not sure that even though you and I would take that choice, everybody would take that same choice, thus isn't it better to be pro-choice and not make these choices for other people?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #12070 on: February 22, 2012, 09:16:25 pm »

They can believe that, but I'd call it very irrational to say that it even might begin at conception; there is essentially no way a blastocyst can "experience meaningful suffering" any more than a sample of organ tissue can.

Of course, this is all pretty irrelevant. Virtually all pro-life movement in the US is religiously-motivated, and that's what I'm talking about.

I agree.  The majority of it is, and it is somewhat ridiculous to say that a blastocyst can experience meaningful suffering.  I'm also not anti-abortion.

I just get tired of the pro-choice side of the movement behaving like there is no grey area to the subject at all, and that anybody who has reservations is completely irrational or anti-scientific.  At least that's the vibe I very often get.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12071 on: February 22, 2012, 09:18:12 pm »

While I am pro-choice, I do not see abortion as morally grey, I see it as undeniably evil. It's just that not allowing it causes significantly more suffering and evil than allowing it does.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12072 on: February 22, 2012, 09:18:25 pm »

Go with spiritual ;) Religion implies organization, and maybe dogma, etc. Belief in the soul (which tends to be the core of the major religious argument)  doesn't really require any of that.

And potential argument as argument from potential -- i.e. the waste of the potential of the life that could be. I'd agree with you the logical consequences of it are g'damn ridiculous, but it makes sense. It's a workable moral heuristic with a few terrifying consequences, like most moral heuristics :P

It's not in line with the movement you mention, though, of course not. There's not much a secular presence within the US pre-life groups.

Can't a person just believe that the point at which an unborn child can experience meaningful suffering is ill-defined, and thus potentially inflicting that should be avoided if at all possible?
Sure. Argument from suffering, (not the offical(ish) name for it, which I've forgotten) s'a basic moral argument for a lot of the better (conceptually) founded animal-right arguments. Which makes it pretty relevant, really.

... though that may only imply that ensuring the abortion is painless for the child is a major issue, which would probably be pretty easy to do.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12073 on: February 22, 2012, 09:18:57 pm »

Being alive doesn't give you rights and certainly not all rights you can imagine.

If the fetus has the right to life at the expense of the mother, then the homeless man has the right to life at the expense of society. Both will die without support. If a fetus is alive, then certainly the homeless are. Moreover, the government can neither provide nor guarantee life.

It's funny how some people think life and the right to claim it at someone else's expense and over their objection begin at conception, but apparently end at birth....

I know... I'll get letters.... :)

In other news YAAY! http://news.yahoo.com/gay-spouse-given-health-benefits-u-court-case-000201268.html
http://www.lambdalegal.org/in-court/cases/golinski-v-us-office-personnel-management

Come on, at least with us GLBT you'll never have to worry about abortions, right? And, hey we'd love to adopt those kids that others unfortunately don't.

And.... here come the letters.... :P

« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 09:22:31 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12074 on: February 22, 2012, 09:20:59 pm »

Yea, I don't exactly see how the same person could be pro life and pro death penalty...
Pages: 1 ... 803 804 [805] 806 807 ... 852