Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Fortress designs: efficiency be damned, show me your fancy stuff!  (Read 12636 times)

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress designs: efficiency be damned, show me your fancy stuff!
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 09:46:13 pm »

Finding a suitable site to create a homage to the 2d fort Copperblazes might be a good one.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 10:55:11 pm »

I'm no mega-projector but I do do some things to make my forts interesting. From a visual aethetics point of view I like to give the fort's rooms some kind of shape not entirely related to function: for instance, giving the entrance hall a big oval room at the end of it. It gives a sense of grandeur quite apart from the stark utilitarianism of a bunch of rectangular spaces for dwarves to do things in. Like this:

As time passed I found the rock surrounding the oval was a convenient area to put offices of nobles in. 1 tile would serve as a diagonal passage into a rectangular room, with the interior walls engraved without changing the appearance of the main room.

Another thing I like to do is put interesting shapes to use in some way. This screenshot depicts a magma death chamber flanked by two long hallways. It was originally intended to be just plain hallways zig-zagging, but then I realized I could do more:

To make them I took a screenshot and measured the proportions of the actual "statue" character from the game itself and designated an equivalent area to be mined out (e.g. a 3x2 pixel box is translated into a 12x8 tile area to be mined out in-game).

Large-scale goblin traps are of course particularly engrossing.

Further consideration for aesthetic structure building is to think of something that would look cool and just start building it. In the natural course of events something memorable will happen on or near it. I built this bridge over a very wide river/waterfall, complete with a "gatehouse" on one end of it, and it became the site of a terrible battle:

After the battle a couple of dwarves were surrounded by macegoblins on the side with the gatehouse and literally beaten for months.

Finally, as a somewhat non-visual aesthetic consideration, I like to plan my forts with a visit by an adventurer in mind. I like to set up interestingly shaped burial areas for all the dwarves, memorialize every dwarf and place the memorials next to their coffins, and pay special attention to documenting the fort's history in some way. Here's an example of this, post fort-destruction:

It's not visible in this image because it's a reclaim, but I also entombed dead goblins in the wall in the entrance area where the "mosaic" is (made of fireclay and orthoclase). The differently colored patched of wall mark where each space was carved out, a goblin's skeleton was dumped, and the space re-sealed. In front of each was a memorial to the goblin it contained. I find this memorialization of a fort's history to be the most meaningful exercise of all, and it certainly takes time and attention. As a part of this memorialization I also like to mint at least one set of coins every year when possible, as well as place statues in meaningful places depending on their subject.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 11:05:33 pm by Nasikabatrachus »
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2011, 11:17:33 pm »

Posting to track this thread.
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2011, 11:30:27 pm »

I suppose this counts, though it isnt as cool as an organic fortress like flarechannel.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=69186.0
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 01:57:42 pm »

I have a half-decent setup. Main focus for this fort though was to make an epic dining hall.

Fortress: Wavehandle

And megaproject-wise for fancy, check out the complexity of the airship Bloodfist itself. Every lever has a purpose, and all the moving parts interact with each other quite well. The video clips are especially relevant for how well it works and looks when operating. For the rest of the details of the ship and it's progress, just click the link in my sig. Final post is also worth an occasional glance once in awhile (please, don't needlessly necro the thread).

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2011, 02:03:13 pm »

It's not spectacular, but it's tall.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=51916.0
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2011, 03:57:53 pm »

Keep 'em coming! :)

I found three more bedroom designs that I like in an older thread:

Here's one of my old bedroom layouts from a fort I had a while back. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Finally started to make private housing for my dwarves (after 22 years of running the fortress). Inspired by Jaxicat's picture I made this today:

It fits 240 3x3 rooms (I have 223 dwarves). Too bad 2 of my staircases collided with it but I'll fix those and do some additional work to make it a bit more interesting :)

Here's the design Im currently working on
This is the main working area. The living area shares the same general design but with a wider variety of room sizes.

I'm very tempted to steal that bedroom design Belannaer :D

Proxiee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2011, 04:06:43 pm »

waterfalls.

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2011, 06:05:14 pm »

I'm amazed no-one's mentioned the only fortress to ever rival Flarechannel, Undergrotto.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2011, 06:59:39 pm »

Mentioned in the OP.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2011, 07:09:06 pm »

Anything by Lord Dullard. An oft under appreciated master builder.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

jfsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2011, 09:36:57 pm »

If you like defense and crazy traps, check out Rimslaughters.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2011, 02:44:01 am »

I'm amazed no-one's mentioned the only fortress to ever rival Flarechannel, Undergrotto.
Oh my. It seems I've met my doppelganger.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2011, 10:50:48 am »

Here's my MICROCLINE fortress called Rawbeer. i never finished it cos i got bored. the design was an experiment which failed. It was just too inefficent so I got bored. Also the city area was too small and we were short on space.
http://postimage.org/image/2ttrcrsec/

I know.. it hurts your eyes.

PS: I also have a question. What is that tileset that that "map observe" site uses?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 10:59:41 am by dwarfhoplite »

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2011, 03:03:27 am »

Wow ... Rimslaughters definitely takes the prize in the "defenses" category, and with ease. I'm amazed how people come up with such ideas.
Pages: 1 [2] 3