Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Dwarven Designs  (Read 27516 times)

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
Re: Dwarven Designs
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2010, 11:49:14 pm »

My fort layouts are random and crap-ass compared to the ones listed here.  But when I'm bored and mining out deep levels, I do things like these.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2010, 11:52:10 pm »

And a cavern entrance. I'd honestly like to see a pict or two from other people on this, as I'm not satisfied with the current state of the entrance.

Here's my entrance to cavern levels. It has a small drawbridge for emergency backup, and a military outpost consisting of barracks, danger room, small dining area and food storage. There's also a loom and silk storage for web collection. Also in the picture is the bottom floor of an 8-story killing pit.

Spoiler: Cavern Entrance (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 12:26:22 am by AngleWyrm »

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2010, 11:56:36 pm »

My fort layouts are random and crap-ass compared to the ones listed here.  But when I'm bored and mining out deep levels, I do things like these.

That is excessively artful!

RE: Caverns, I made sure to make an entirely closed area that accesses fresh water. (salt map.) I had thought that forgotten beasts could break walls, but apparently they can't. I've had two spawn into the lake that my tunnel accesses, but neither of them have bothered to crawl out...
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2010, 12:28:40 am »

Ironically, I can't draw foir shit any other time!
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Johnny Madhouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2010, 12:35:53 am »

I need to upload some of my designs. Here is my brother's bedroom design from 40d after some Fun happened. I modified his design for a while, adding another bedroom in each of the cardinal directions and turning the inside four into noble rooms. His design has 60 or so 3x3 rooms per level, and it looks pretty good in my opinion. Adding the other ones nets 64.

His account of what happened:

« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 12:40:47 am by Johnny Madhouse »
Useless migrants go the Culling Burrow.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2010, 11:32:37 am »

I'm experimenting with a new fortress design which uses lots of vertical space.

Here's some floors going down.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2010, 11:59:25 am »

I usually just go for an organic kind of build-as-I-go setup. If I manage to the population and resources I need, though, I usually end up making 'apartment blocks' for sleeping quarters and put my workshops in niches in the sides of a long, wide hall.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2010, 12:12:12 pm »

I just love these.  Almost everything I build uses vertical runs so I love to embark on mountain edges and start high.  You slope away toward low ground due to higher magma and stuff in the mountains to make diagonals (particularly at a volcano)
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2010, 02:31:25 pm »

Pretty similar to mine, actually! I love how DF teaches you to think about problems in new dimensions.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2010, 02:38:42 pm »

I'm currently making an almost purely vertical fortress...starting at a cliff face, going down to the magma, rarely having more than one or two workshops or bedrooms on one level. It's kind of fun, but the plumbing is hell to install.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

belannaer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2010, 05:46:58 pm »

Finally started to make private housing for my dwarves (after 22 years of running the fortress). Inspired by Jaxicat's picture I made this today:

It fits 240 3x3 rooms (I have 223 dwarves). Too bad 2 of my staircases collided with it but I'll fix those and do some additional work to make it a bit more interesting :)

Wiro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2010, 06:18:05 pm »

And a cavern entrance. I'd honestly like to see a pict or two from other people on this, as I'm not satisfied with the current state of the entrance.

Basically what I did with my cavern was smoothen the walls and construct new ones where needed, built bridges, traps, stairs to connect cavern main camp to a little cavern outpost through an underground tunnel. I just move somewhere, dig, cut trees, collect plants, smoothen walls and floors, built walls and floors then slowly expand. Eventually I started getting rid of the stone hanging from the ceiling through cave-in's near the entrance, too. Also made food/booze stockpiles and small dining and resting rooms. There's also a refuse room for trash since it'd be annoying having to drag that all the way upstairs. The ramps I mostly get rid of, except usually 3 ramps next to eachother to get to the next level. Makes it easier to build ways around and connect it to other parts.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2010, 06:45:11 pm »

I still just wall off steep slopes in the caverns. I don't want to move five levels to see something five tiles away and heaven forbid I have to scroll up and down twice that much.

Gentle rolling hills though, those I'm quite fond of.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2010, 07:37:15 pm »

Many of you have given me inspiration to start with Dwarf Mode again. I always build compact and simple. But it always crashes down on me when I get a higher population. The entire fortress gets flooded with drunk, smelly midgets because I made it too small.

*Generates a new world*
Here we go!
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2010, 07:47:23 pm »

Here's the design Im currently working on
This is the main working area. The living area shares the same general design but with a wider variety of room sizes.

I'm very tempted to steal that bedroom design Belannaer :D
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6