Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Giant badgers?  (Read 2574 times)

Cpt.tazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Giant badgers?
« on: May 27, 2011, 05:36:21 am »

recently i have been having a lot of early fortress losses from maurading gigantic badgers.. it goes like this, im 10-15 mins into my fort and then a group comes onscreen, sees my dwarves and they all enrage,i recruit all my dwarves into military, one gets a title and it kills the whole squad.. its my 4th in a row and its getting pretty ridiculous.

just wondering if anyone has had the same troubles?
Got a pterodactyl with a knobby turtle shell composed entirely of vomit in my caverns. Apparently it moves deliberately. It's teamed up with a giant steam shrimp.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where you aren't hallucinating.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Giant badgers?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 05:39:37 am »

Pretty much everyone. Giant Badgers are basically what dwarves would be if they were animals; stupid, irritable, and homicidal.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 05:40:44 am »

We all had the same toubles. Dig a moat around your wagon or go underground at the beginning of the game. Don't stay outside without protections.

Disquiet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 07:05:38 am »

I've actually never had a problem with badgers, skeletal hippos on the other hand killed 6/7 of my embark dwarves once.

But thats the only time I've ever lost to the wildlife before my first migrant wave. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Leeko

• Bay Watcher
  • Wab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 08:25:19 am »

But thats the only time I've ever lost to the wildlife before my first migrant wave. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Or you've never embarked to a terrifying glacier.

The skeletal yetis... oh, gods, the skeletal yetis...
"Asen Zoz, 'The Gravel of Pondering' - This is a Alunite Harp. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. On the item is an image of Blossomeven the Cold Tactics the perfect precious fire opal in Precious fire opal."

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 08:36:46 am »

I had the same problem. This is what I did about it:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=84104.msg2251751#msg2251751

Giant badgers are no longer a problem for me.
(By the way, I created an outside fortress after that change. It was awesome.)

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 09:49:41 am »

Pretty much everyone. Giant Badgers are basically what dwarves would be if they were animals; stupid, irritable, and homicidal.
And suicidal. Perhaps 'omnicidal' would be best; I've seen Badger-people get enraged at, and attack, alligators.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 09:51:16 am »

And suicidal. Perhaps 'omnicidal' would be best; I've seen Badger-people get enraged at, and attack, alligators, and win.
fixed.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 01:42:22 pm »

That's not what the alligator told me when it used my Dwarfs to flush down all the badger-people-meat stuck to its teeth.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 02:48:12 pm »

If you are serious about security, bring 18 stones on embark. Immediately wall off your wagon as soon as the game starts with masonry switched on for all 7 dwarves. Dig out a downstair immediately next to the wagon and instruct dwarves to do something down there while you put down the last wall (purposefully set up so it's the side dwarves prefer to be on when building a wall). Alternatively get a door built fast (build the masonry shop underground). This does require you to bring lots of wood on embark too so you can get beds set up as you don't know how long you'll be turtling.

Now you can dig down to the magma immediately and try to forge some gear to fight giant badgers with. Even copper is much better than nothing (especially against animals) and you'll probably have tetrahedrite on the map unless you're playing a mineral scarce world (and if so, you know to make provisions to compensate).
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Cpt.tazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 03:00:07 pm »

Tbh i dont like the idea of walling off... its really cheating to me, i know its temporary but i dont really feel comfortable doing it, plus im massively OCD on my fort looking nice and a massive downwards pillar wouldnt sit well right in the middle of my map
Got a pterodactyl with a knobby turtle shell composed entirely of vomit in my caverns. Apparently it moves deliberately. It's teamed up with a giant steam shrimp.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where you aren't hallucinating.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 06:36:31 pm »

I recommend embarking with a Hunter. Give him a point each in butchery and tanning for the sake of convenience, but he'll bring his own equipment if he has mostly ambusher points. Make him militia commander and build him a nice archery target early on. Also, bring a bone/woodcrafter for a steady supply of bolts.

The only other thing to watch for is weaponsmithing. If your Hunter embarks with a copper crossbow, you're going to need something more substantial.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2011, 06:43:28 pm »

Actually, copper's pretty good for crossbows. The material doesn't affect the shooting part, and since copper's a heavy material, it's good for blunt attacks (like crossbow bashes).
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2011, 06:56:05 pm »

I recommend embarking with a Hunter. Give him a point each in butchery and tanning for the sake of convenience, but he'll bring his own equipment if he has mostly ambusher points. Make him militia commander and build him a nice archery target early on. Also, bring a bone/woodcrafter for a steady supply of bolts.
Just to make it clear - said dwarf is to never engage in civilian Hunting. That screws up with military uniforms.

Tbh i dont like the idea of walling off... its really cheating to me, i know its temporary but i dont really feel comfortable doing it, plus im massively OCD on my fort looking nice and a massive downwards pillar wouldnt sit well right in the middle of my map
Ok, then your alternative is to equip every single dwarf with armour and weapons from the very start (yes, you can bring quite a lot of copper ore on embark). Your miners and woodcutters will be a liability as they can't wear a uniform while working but miners have no reason to be near the badgers anyway.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 04:40:07 am »

First Elephants, then Carp, now Badgers - what will the next most unexpectedly lethal animal be?

Hopefully never elves... 

Because DF players are heavily into pain.
Pages: [1] 2