Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 90

Author Topic: Dungeons of Dredmor - Patch 1.1.2 is available  (Read 183036 times)

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons of Dredmor - {New DLC release date: August 1st 2012}
« Reply #1215 on: August 08, 2012, 07:57:49 am »

I wonder if it would be possible to just run through most of the levels, rushing one's way to Dredmor after getting The Bomb. No need to fight your way through hordes of monsters, instead just getting The Bomb, running up to him and nuking him - literally. Anyone tried this yet?

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: August 08, 2012, 08:18:48 am »

this requires research - possibly by adding utility skills that move you / turn you invisible at the first slot ... then again, opening the door to dredmor will give him a free attack, right?
fungal skills for hoglanterns?
wands for the early level grinding?
mathemagic for it's teleport?
if you want to add mods definitely hitchhiking.
any more ideas?
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: August 08, 2012, 09:12:58 am »

Killer Vegan, get past all the animals. Also, Communism's Guerilla Warfare may be useful.

I have to admit, I've never even faced Dredmor, so I don't know how the fights usually go, or what to expect down there.

'Going Rogue' and 'permadeath' make it kinda hard to reach him...
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 09:15:53 am by Oliolli »

When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: August 08, 2012, 10:42:27 am »

Unless I see some very compelling evidence that there's some magical unseen hardcoded part of The Bomb that does 10,000 holy damage or some such, I'm calling utter, profound bullshit on it 1-shotting Dredmor. Nothing in it's spell entries looks even close to that.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: August 08, 2012, 07:56:13 pm »

I got humped to death thinking I could funnel thrustys trough a tunnel and kill them all.
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

revo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: August 09, 2012, 12:44:38 pm »

so is swords/dual wield/smithing/assassination/ other random melee crap/promethean. a good build? I've always been partial to dual wield swords for some reason.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: August 09, 2012, 01:46:37 pm »

so is swords/dual wield/smithing/assassination/ other random melee crap/promethean. a good build? I've always been partial to dual wield swords for some reason.

If you want anything like good damage out of promethean, you'll have to avoid heavy armor, and if you avoid heavy armor you'll start weaker in melee. However, swords/DW add lots of counterattack which will eventually compensate. You might be able to get/krong artifacts with magic power and counter/dodge but that's a big gamble.

If you don't want to sacrifice ranged damage, Battle Geology is a warrior archetype skill with spell-like effects, or clockwork knight for heavy armor and free tinkering levels/aoe/defensive bonuses. You could also go the rogue scientist route for free tinkering/alchemy levels and a chance on counterattack to get free swings at all 4 adjacent squares. Clockwork knight has a similar skill that gives a chance on attack to do the same.

Piracy complements counterattack builds with its second ability, swashbuckling, that gives +75% counterattack chance for 4 turns.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: August 09, 2012, 01:57:20 pm »

I can never figure out which skills to choose at the start. :/ I guess I'll have to die a few more hundred times to get a feel for them.

I did manage to actually rename the expansion pack that you have to name though. Huzzah.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: August 09, 2012, 02:09:47 pm »

I'll just leave this here, it's what I used to get over the utter newbie die-on-floor-one rut.

http://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/project-community-skills-guide.3033/

PDF is, AFAIK, incomplete beyond core game skills, though a couple pages from the end, Realm of the Diggle Gods skills come in. We're not up to the latter 2 expansions yet.

Also, there's this thing, with the juicy databytes freshly mined straight from the game files. There's spoilery stuff in the items sections and whatnot, but it does a great job of showing you EXACTLY what every skill and craft does.

http://j-factor.com/dredmorpedia/

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: August 09, 2012, 02:11:13 pm »

I can never figure out which skills to choose at the start. :/

That's why they invented the "Random" button.

Hey, it made me a clockwork pirate communist banker knight smith, who likes axes and shields. What more can one want?

Aside from a working build, that is. Then again, he does have 13 armor absorption by the fourth level, and a 30% block chance...

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: August 09, 2012, 08:12:32 pm »

That egyptian build is hard, until you get to Anubis

Sanstorm can shred a monster view or two. Well, until a named golem murders you.
Everybody!

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: August 10, 2012, 01:38:48 am »

my "Egyptian build" consists of:
Perception, Egyptian magic, Smithing, Alchemy, Wand Lore, communism and rouge scientist ...
it's working not so well - haven't found the mana torus recipe...
I think i will start modding soon -  levels of all crafting stats? or just 6 ... and how do you give crafting recipes on levelup? the skills that do that seem to be in rouge scientist and communism, right?
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: August 10, 2012, 05:38:53 am »

and how do you give crafting recipes on levelup? the skills that do that seem to be in rouge scientist and communism, right?
just put learnrecipe="name here" onto the ability.

For example in clockwork knight:
<ability name="Tech Scavenger" icon="skills/tech_scavenger64.png" skill="41" level="0" learnrecipe="Tinkerer's Goggles">

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: August 10, 2012, 11:55:07 am »

Bolts of squid are awesome against zoos and everything that also isn't a zoo.
Everybody!

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1229 on: August 10, 2012, 12:03:57 pm »

Is it just me or is that first level of tourist really awesome?
health and mana regen? large area blind through your camera "wand"?
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 90