Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Second fortress  (Read 7468 times)

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Second fortress
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2011, 10:24:15 am »

One of the idiot recruits was STILL USING A TRAINING WEAPON. I swear I'm going to find all of them and dump them in the execution chamber..... He could have lived probably if he'd been using the real spear I'd assigned to him.

You have not properly configured its uniform then - I use uniforms and my dwarves wear all and only what I tell them to.

Dwarves that's grown 'attached' to their weapons have more trouble dropping then in my experience. Better off dumping all the training weapons from {z} screen and waiting a while. Might need to unforbid them too.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2011, 10:25:23 am »

Kicking them out of a squad should force them to drop everything.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Manic Typist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2011, 10:57:16 am »

I'll triple check their uniforms and try the other suggested methods.

Anyone know if you can remove a slope from a z level up? I doubt it.

Also, for some reason, a bunch of my hunters now are canceling hunts because they can't find a path. Yet access to the outside has not changed, they aren't assigned to any burrows, etc. Only thing I can think of is that they want to hunt in the caverns, and well... I'm not ready for that headache yet. Hunt topside!

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2011, 10:58:45 am »

DFHack has a utility to remove designated ramps.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2011, 02:20:42 pm »

Training weapons are useless in a dwarf's hand unless you want them specifically to deal less damage. Sparring dwarves don't hurt each other while sparring now.

Manic Typist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2011, 11:07:48 pm »

I've just run through the stockpiles options several times.... and couldn't find it myself so....

Any idea how can I create a stockpile of training weapons/exclude the training weapons from my armories?

I'm hoping to put training weapons in the pit room so that the goblins might pick them up, or at least keep them near that area so I can have my dwarves pick them up to use on the disarmed goblins.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2011, 11:18:50 pm »

Dwarves will only use what they're assigned and I don't think prisoners will equip new gear, but if it works, let us know.

The stockpile you want is a regular weapons stockpile that only accepts wooden items (material type configuration) and with trap components disallowed, to prevent pump pieces from getting tossed in it.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Manic Typist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2011, 04:01:02 pm »

*Sigh* I'm really quite frustrated right now.

My military and defense system had a complete FUBAR.

Four goblin ambushes show up, at the same time as a dwarven caravan. No big.

I activate my civilian alert (though I realize I need to add to it, and then accidentally delete it, which was..... annoying. Lots of designating on multiple z-levels after that).

Some civilians are outside on various tasks (still not sure why my armorer was out there....), oh well. If they make it, great, if not... tough.

I set my military on station behind my interior drawbridge and initial set of traps, just in case. Unfortunately, some dwarves die outside. So three separate dwarves, decide that they will now go rushing outside to "Pickup Equipment." Why? I'm not sure. I checked, and at least two of them lacked a weapon. Which is odd, because I should have more than enough to go around. Maybe I accidentally assigned them a weapon being held by someone else, so they went to pick it up? Maybe the dropped weapon was better? I have no idea. Needless to say, they get themselves killed. Oh, and I even kicked them out of the military but they still wouldn't cancel going to get the Equipment....

To add insult to insult.... the goblins didn't even have the decency to fall for my corridor of death. I had put a kitten, tied up,  behind an unlocked door at the end of ramping corridor. The idea was that I raise my inner drawbridge, which is the sole access to the actual body of my fort, but leave the drawbridge for the corridor open. It's lined with traps. The kitten is the bait. I know it can be pathed to because my dwarves set up the trap and during the siege a fox managed to stumble part of the way in to it...

But they didn't take the bait. After they killed the merchant caravan and my idiot dwarves they left.

Ideas? Help?

Oh, one bright lining- I caught a goblin snatcher. Now to go double check pitting to afford my dwarves some practice/revenge. Are snatchers subject to the caveats as other thieves?

Noir

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Evil Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2011, 04:04:57 pm »

If you want your civvies to stay inside during sieges/ambushes, you need to create a burrow that will cover only your base, and then associate it to your "emergency" alert.

If you do that correctly, all civilians who are outside will immediately run back to the fortress - and none will accept a job where at least a target is outside of the burrow area.

As for the failed bait, I have no idea why it didn't work. When I play, my fortress is the actual bait, and the goblins always fall for it.
Naked dwarves remove the need to produce more clothing, which means more of your pig tails can be brewed into booze.
I think this is less a problem and more an expression of dwarven priorities.

Manic Typist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2011, 04:42:22 pm »

If you want your civvies to stay inside during sieges/ambushes, you need to create a burrow that will cover only your base, and then associate it to your "emergency" alert.

That wasn't the issue. The civies started to run back to the fort, mostly. Will they run away from the fort if a goblin is between them and the only entrance, though? One or two did seem to not be taking an efficient path back/ran the wrong way.

The issue was with my military dwarves ignoring their station order to go running out of the fort to go "Pickup Equipment," presumably from a recently slain dwarf. I don't know why, and I don't know how to cancel that behavior (I turned them back to civies and they continued on their mission)

Noir

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Evil Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2011, 05:19:41 pm »

That wasn't the issue. The civies started to run back to the fort, mostly. Will they run away from the fort if a goblin is between them and the only entrance, though? One or two did seem to not be taking an efficient path back/ran the wrong way.

They should, but if they see an enemy (which can be spotted as far as 20 tiles) they will run in random, occasionally opposite directions.

The issue was with my military dwarves ignoring their station order to go running out of the fort to go "Pickup Equipment," presumably from a recently slain dwarf. I don't know why, and I don't know how to cancel that behavior (I turned them back to civies and they continued on their mission)

This is odd. If they were already complying with their Station order when the dwarf is dead this shouldn't happen.
But there is another possibility. When you issue a Station order, a dwarf will first make sure that he is wearing his uniform: if he doesn't he will wear his armor, if the uniform is replace clothing he will shed his clothes, if he has ammo assigned and less than a certain amount of bolts he will fill his quiver. This happens BEFORE he starts to move toward his assigned position.

So if a dwarf carrying suitable equipment is dead before he completed his dress-up, chances are he went to his corpse to pick up his item.
Should this happen, the solution is as follows: FORBID the items of the dead dwarf (mass-forbidding, d-b-f works fine), and SUSPEND or CANCEL the job of the suicide dwarf - as forbidding them doesn't affect jobs that have already been issued.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 05:21:24 pm by Noir »
Naked dwarves remove the need to produce more clothing, which means more of your pig tails can be brewed into booze.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2011, 05:45:49 pm »

How soon do you guys start training soldier types, generally? I'm always loathe to lose a worker to the military, but I of course really want a military too...
I start as soon as the worthless migrant potash/soap/cheese makers and such get off their lazy rear ends and go to training. Or when a harmless animal enters the map.

I hunt with military, so I prefer the second method. The first is more useful in elephant/unicorn/critterman situations, unless population control is your goal.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Manic Typist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2011, 09:20:08 pm »

Argh. Ettin smashed his way in the back entrance to fortress, after killing a bunch of idiot dwarves. Not dworfy at all to be beaten to death with a silk shirt. Still, with the exception of the first militia captain who was one shotted by a fist to the head, the rest held up admirably (i.e. didn't die and killed it, although some are for some reason unarmed even though they all have weapons assigned...)

More traps. I'm going to just starting spamming traps until I get a better feel for this military business. At least the execution of the snatcher via beatings went well.

Oh, I have a baron now.

Oh, apparently some people have been sentenced to prison for not fulfilling mandates (must have been when I let the game running in the background). Fortunately, I have no justice system.

Edit: ARGH, why won't they store balista arrows in the special stockpile next to the balista instead of letting them stack up in the workshop?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 09:23:59 pm by Manic Typist »

Noir

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Evil Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2011, 02:41:21 am »

Argh. Ettin smashed his way in the back entrance to fortress, after killing a bunch of idiot dwarves.
Your fortress isn't a proper fortress if you have a back entrance.

More traps. I'm going to just starting spamming traps until I get a better feel for this military business. At least the execution of the snatcher via beatings went well.

Do it. Even better, make the access to your fortress a narrow passage filled with traps, and make so that those that fall down are forced to backtrack to the beginning of the bridge to try again (possibly going through more traps in the process).
I laugh maniacally while reading a combat log full of traps butchering my enemies in really cruel ways. Don't forget to put some cage traps to leave some of them for military training.

Manic Typist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2011, 08:13:57 am »

Well, it wasn't intended to be a back entrance so much as a false entrance down a long, narrow, straight corridor with a balista at one end. Unfortunately, some idiots decided to run out to collect equipment via that way too, so I left the drawbridge down for them. In the end it was ok, once the soldiers started attacking it went much better than anticipated. Probably because he wasn't armed or armored (except for his silk shirt flail, apparently)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8