Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Second fortress  (Read 7449 times)

Manic Typist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Second fortress
« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2011, 12:40:54 am »

Quick update- defenses are improving through the use of traps and, mayhaps, the increasing skills of my soldiers.

About eight goblins or so are being put to use as training fodder, which is nice. Several others died in traps.

However, the elven merchants couldn't leave since I wouldn't lower the drawbridge to let some other goblins in (at that time). So they went crazy, killed each other/had to be put down.

They left a bunch of animals in cages. I would really like to train that black bear into a war animal. Can I? Or since I didn't purchase it, it'll be "friendly" but not really tame?

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2011, 12:52:17 am »

I know you can train grizzlies, I assume black bears would be the same.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2011, 02:34:03 am »

Negative, black bears cannot be trained. But everything in the elf cages should be tame, and not hostile to you.

Curious, any amusing combat reports of crazed elves punching their pack donkeys?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Manic Typist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 08, 2011, 10:21:54 am »

Do I have to do anything to take ownership of them? I can't seem to find them in the list of animals I can put in a pasture (the goblin prisoners show up, interestingly...)

And the elves were fighting their camels. Until my dwarves came and liquidated them all.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2011, 10:31:11 am »

There is nothing wrong with modding in the ability to give yourself war-black bears.

(hint hint)
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Manic Typist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2011, 10:50:31 am »

Heh, some day I'll get around to playing with the raws, but I'm not sure if I want to open that can or worms just yet.

I'd settle for being able to pull it out of its cage and using it as a sentry-bear next to a door.

I finally saw my first bodypart going flying. It was fun, seeing my sworddworf charge up the ramp to send the goblin's lower body flying off in the first blow. Went pretty far too.

Manic Typist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 08, 2011, 10:41:57 pm »

Odd. I've somehow done something that now, when under the  [s ]quad menu, when I hit the button which corresponds to a squad (so that I can cancel the kill order that they've already performed and thus the order is defunct)..... instead of just highlighting the squad it shows me the individual members OF that squad, with letters so that I can select them individually or in aggregate. Regardless, no matter what I do, I cannot cancel the kill order.

What did I do, and how do I undo it?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 09:51:15 am by Manic Typist »

Manic Typist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 11, 2011, 09:52:00 am »

So, some goblins were standing on my drawbridge. I raise it. I don't know where they went, and I can't find any combat reports that suggest they suffered falling damage. Could they still be in the air?

Noir

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Evil Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 11, 2011, 09:54:05 am »

This looks similar to the mistake I made the first time I created a drawbridge. Did you set up your drawbridge to raise on a specific direction, or it's just a retractable bridge?
Naked dwarves remove the need to produce more clothing, which means more of your pig tails can be brewed into booze.
I think this is less a problem and more an expression of dwarven priorities.

Manic Typist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 11, 2011, 04:27:16 pm »

Specific direction, for sure. However, if I were mistaken, how could I confirm this?

Noir

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Evil Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 11, 2011, 04:29:53 pm »

It will not create a wall upon closure in that case. Typically however, they should be moved a few tiles in the direction of the closure. You don't see them? Like, at all?
What's under the bridge?
Naked dwarves remove the need to produce more clothing, which means more of your pig tails can be brewed into booze.

Manic Typist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 11, 2011, 06:00:48 pm »

Yes, they do move in the direction of the closure and form what looks like a wall to me. For all I knew, however, that's how it looks when retracted and I just didn't know any better.

Now? A spike pit connected to a lever set to repeat. Then? Nothing but a 1 level drop.

In other news, I have this ghost. He is officially the owner of a built coffin. He won't go away. I suspect perhaps he has been designated for burial there but hasn't actualy been interred yet. Any clues how I can find his body?

Noir

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Evil Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 11, 2011, 06:08:54 pm »

You don't need to. You can just create a Memorial Slab - this way you can grant peace to his spirit without burying his corpse.

Just craft a Stone Slab at the Mason workshop, then Engrave it at the Craftdwarf workshop with the name of the ghost. That will do.

Manic Typist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 11, 2011, 11:47:09 pm »

Yeah, I tried that. I couldn't find the name of the ghost listed. I checked several times.

Yet another new issue- elven caravan won;t leave my new trade depot. I wanted to move to an "airlock" system, so they set up inside the new trade depot while the exit was being constructed.

It's done now, but they won't leave. I know things can path out through there because I've seen things leave out that way. However, they do have to pass through a door to get to the drawbridge that leads to the outside world. Is this the issue? Yes, the door is unlocked. Yes, the drawbridge is down.

Manic Typist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 12, 2011, 10:02:01 pm »

Huh.

I've made a huge new stone stockpile. I have a huge spread of granite ten or twelve levels down, blocking up space.

No one is going to pick it up. Yes, the stockpile has been set to accept that type of stone.

Thoughts?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8