Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23

Author Topic: Black Powder Firearms  (Read 107386 times)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
Re: Black Powder Firearms
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2011, 12:13:21 am »

Good timing there, mate...

v0.4 is up, featuring a gunpowder-from-potash reaction, the assorted weapon and ammo tweaks suggested by Acperience and a slightly modified reaction for making cartridges. Thanks to unforseen circumstances upon which I shall enlarge when it's not 1AM, I will be without a DF-capable computer for the next few months, so I'm afraid the playtesting is all on you folks.

Also, there's a minor error in the installation instructions in the readme file: the corect version can be found in the top post.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2011, 01:20:45 am »

Thanks to unforseen circumstances upon which I shall enlarge when it's not 1AM, I will be without a DF-capable computer for the next few months...
Or not, as it turns out. 43 FPS on embark is good enough to be getting on with, so I'll try and nail some of the bugs with the workshops. I'm also going to experiment with ceramic ammunition, at least for spring-guns.

After that is the next big development: Rockets. This is where I depart somewhat from actual history, though the use of rockets as artillery is older than you might think. Absent support for throwing weapons in fortress mode, I'm aiming for something that resembles a Renaissance-era gunsmith's attempt at an M79. I've got these mostly worked out in my head, but I'd be interested in some recommendations from you folks before I kick off.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2011, 01:44:30 am »

Thanks to unforseen circumstances upon which I shall enlarge when it's not 1AM, I will be without a DF-capable computer for the next few months...
Or not, as it turns out. 43 FPS on embark is good enough to be getting on with, so I'll try and nail some of the bugs with the workshops. I'm also going to experiment with ceramic ammunition, at least for spring-guns.

After that is the next big development: Rockets. This is where I depart somewhat from actual history, though the use of rockets as artillery is older than you might think. Absent support for throwing weapons in fortress mode, I'm aiming for something that resembles a Renaissance-era gunsmith's attempt at an M79. I've got these mostly worked out in my head, but I'd be interested in some recommendations from you folks before I kick off.

For experimenting with ceramic ammo, you might want to consider creating a new type of material, paired with a new reaction that creates the material.

The edge damage setup used for gunstones and cartridges relies on the cutting properties of the bullet material. I have no idea what the properties are for porcelain or clay goods, but I doubt Toady created them with ceramic ammunition in mind.

Perhaps tie the reaction to the alchemy skill.
I think maybe gunpowder creation should be changed to alchemy as well.

How do you plan on creating the grenade effect for the m79?
I have no idea on how you would start, but having a dragonfire or magma mist effect would be interesting.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 01:48:38 am by Acperience »

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2011, 02:14:33 am »

For experimenting with ceramic ammo, you might want to consider creating a new type of material, paired with a new reaction that creates the material.

The edge damage setup used for gunstones and cartridges relies on the cutting properties of the bullet material. I have no idea what the properties are for porcelain or clay goods, but I doubt Toady created them with ceramic ammunition in mind.
They're supposed to be the equivalent of bone bolts in vanilla, ie alright for training or hunting small game but only deployed in combat if you're really desperate, but duly noted.

I think maybe gunpowder creation should be changed to alchemy as well.
That's on hold until either alchemy is used for something in vanilla DF or importing a particular material in bulk is less hassle. Remember how irritating it was to get glassmakers on a map with no sand back in 40d?

How do you plan on creating the grenade effect for the m79?
I have no idea on how you would start, but having a dragonfire or magma mist effect would be interesting.
Much as I'd like to, I'm not going for an explosion effect, but more of an armour-piercing one. More details in the morning.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2011, 02:24:32 am »

They're supposed to be the equivalent of bone bolts in vanilla, ie alright for training or hunting small game but only deployed in combat if you're really desperate, but duly noted.

If only for training purposes, what about wax bullets?

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2011, 12:02:32 pm »

Wax would be a clever way of making genuine blank rounds, but realistically, bullets made from it probably wouldn't even make it out of the barrel before they disintegrated. Ceramic ones should at least be capable of hitting a target.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2011, 01:47:28 pm »

Wax would be a clever way of making genuine blank rounds, but realistically, bullets made from it probably wouldn't even make it out of the barrel before they disintegrated. Ceramic ones should at least be capable of hitting a target.

Actually wax rounds are used in real life military training. It can be stopped by something as simple as plywood, but they do make it out of the barrel and hit with more force than a paintball.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2011, 02:09:46 pm »

That's news to me; the army prefer to use blanks and the MILES system in this country, less chance of accidental injuries. Anyway, I'll look into it. Wax bullets might be useful as less-lethals for the fortress guard as well as practice rounds, but I'm not sure ordinary beeswax in a black-powder musket would be as successful.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2011, 02:17:03 pm »

That's news to me; the army prefer to use blanks and the MILES system in this country, less chance of accidental injuries. Anyway, I'll look into it. Wax bullets might be useful as less-lethals for the fortress guard as well as practice rounds, but I'm not sure ordinary beeswax in a black-powder musket would be as successful.

It's actually paraffin wax they use.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 02:46:45 pm by Acperience »

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2011, 04:13:31 pm »

If spring guns are less powerful than all other guns, are they still powerful enough to be used for hunting? And I think that the bayonet on a musket should be a removable secondary item.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2011, 05:20:16 pm »

If spring guns are less powerful than all other guns, are they still powerful enough to be used for hunting? And I think that the bayonet on a musket should be a removable secondary item.
They should be more than adequately lethal against game, or against hostiles who aren't wearing armour. Unfortunately hunters seem to be hard-coded to use crossbows at the moment. There mayt or may not be workarounds for this but I haven't begun to test that yet.
And detachable bayonets would be nice, but it's not possible within the limits of the game engine.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2011, 10:03:43 am »

Minor bugfix too small to justify uploading a new version:

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2011, 02:31:34 pm »

Version 0.6 has been uploaded, hopefully squashing that mysterious "rock cartridges" bug and rather belatedly adding Acperience's magma buildings and the appropriate reactions... which I totally neglected to mention anywhere in the readme file on account of being in too much of a hurry to get the release out.

Bugger.

Oh, well, I'll sort it out later. Also, see the update to Known Issues in the top post.

Savoyard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2011, 05:52:49 pm »

I know I'm bumping an old topic, but is it possible to implement different ammo for the musket and airgun? They should be using blunt ball ammo and should make lead more useful than it is now for ammo material.

Oh and cannons for the siege operator...

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2011, 05:54:09 pm »

Siege engines in general cannot be modified unfortunatly.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23