Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quote for new release?  (Read 1015 times)

snoopychicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quote for new release?
« on: May 18, 2011, 08:46:56 am »

I came across this quote the other day:
Quote from: Friedrich Nietzsche
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Reading the dev log it seems this is definitely going to be relevant. I cant wait to be fighting vampire style night creatures only to end up with the curse myself. Then have to decided whether to carry on fighting the beast or become it.
I think it would be pretty cool to have a curse where you have to do things like drink human(or other sentients) blood/eat human flesh or you start to suffer debuffs.

Lexyvil

• Bay Watcher
  • Serenading the folk.
    • View Profile
Re: Quote for new release?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 12:52:57 pm »

I play mostly for Adventure Mode. Can't wait to see what's new, and I just started playing this recently too (:
My post ends here.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 07:24:22 pm »

Naw, it was a quote from some shrink named Nietzche. Toady musta been in the mead when he typed that.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 07:58:12 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm very much looking forward to that as well, OP. I primarily have used DF to play out little stories and my favorite plot-hook is a hero's fall from grave. Having a human swordsman who is violently opposed to necromancy suddenly finding himself turn to it (or become undead or what-have-you) will be incredibly fun.
That said, I think Toady One mentioned that he won't be fully implementing curses yet. So that may need to wait a bit, sadly.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 08:11:12 pm »

I'm very much looking forward to that as well, OP. I primarily have used DF to play out little stories and my favorite plot-hook is a hero's fall from grave. Having a human swordsman who is violently opposed to necromancy suddenly finding himself turn to it (or become undead or what-have-you) will be incredibly fun.
That said, I think Toady One mentioned that he won't be fully implementing curses yet. So that may need to wait a bit, sadly.

Yes, fully comprehensive curses probably won't be implemented until adventurer roles are implemented, namely the Slayer of Night Creatures. The dev log states that adventurers of this role "can be cursed by night creatures when you put them down".
Looks like that poison wasn`t good for their eyes at all.
I never thought I'd say this, but Nietzsche is just adorable.

snoopychicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 08:35:12 pm »

Naw, it was a quote from some shrink named Nietzche. Toady musta been in the mead when he typed that.

I didn't read it on this site, I read it while I was trying to find some books to read, I just thought it fit in really well with the upcoming release.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 11:41:16 pm »

Snoopy, please forgive me. I am mead typing, also.
But Adven mode is loads of fun. The Fortress mode players do not seem to realize the usefulness of Ad mode yet. As a old nethack fan, I love it
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 07:05:25 am »

@thatkid

I do forsee a lot of players actually attempting to catch these curses though, particularly any that grant increased power. Though it would be cool if you don't actually know what you're getting when you catch a curse, ie procedurally generated curses (I think Toady intends to do this). So if you got a bite from a vampire, it could be anything from getting serious thirst issues until you find some blood and coincidentally noticing that you can knock heads off with a punch, to getting emo-tantrums occasionally and being able to blind enemies by sparkling at them...
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 10:57:39 am »

I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes