Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fortress Build + Reclaim  (Read 1982 times)

Lorkhan

• Bay Watcher
  • Keelah Se'lai
    • View Profile
Fortress Build + Reclaim
« on: May 17, 2011, 03:24:16 am »

So Ive designed my next fort to be entirely above ground (very undwarvenly I know). Ive come up with the idea of setting my population cap to 20 and embarking with several picks, so every dwarf will be either mining or building walls. Then, once the basics of the fort are constructed I'l abandon the fort and reclaim it with my usual setup.
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could see any potential flaws in this plan?

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Build + Reclaim
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 03:49:06 am »

It is a horrific and sadistic misuse of dwarven life.

FUCKING DO IT!
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 04:17:37 am »

The fortress does not fill with magma when an unlabeled lever is pulled somewhere in the same room as the irrigation and emergency defense levers. Otherwise, looks good.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 05:44:59 am »

I think it would be better if you do not just abandon the fort, but put the starting dwarves to some horrible deaths.

Seanp888

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy *shrug*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 05:57:18 am »

I do this all the time its very useful, I also have the dwarfs build some beds for the future residents to use as soon as they get there
\  I don't imagine them marching out there in a column and facing the enemy in a phalanx and using traditional footwork and precise blows to disable their target.  I figure they chug six beers, strap up and roll out with the intention of making something vomit.\

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 07:59:51 am »

It's kinda pointless.

The mining will train your dwarves' physical stats up. Why would you want to throw that away?
Also, there's still some reclaim bugs AFAIK, plus all your items will be scattered around.

And really, why would you ever need more than three miners?
If you have 2 or 3 miners, they'll get skilled really fast, so they'll mine really fast. Win-win?

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 08:18:01 am »

No such thing as too many miners, just make sure to train them all on sand if it is available, then have a huge army of digging/killing machines.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 08:52:22 am »

Look at it this way, your Miners are gonna stay miners and you have to deal with the Migrants as the true inhabitants to this fort. You also seal your Starting Seven in a secret area so they can never make friends with those that live in the homes they made and when the above ground dies all of a sudden your still safe...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 09:31:00 am »

Abandoning will remove all mud (including the caverns).  Unless that was fixed of course.  Also you might have problems building magma versions of buildings.  Those have been bugged before.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 09:43:51 am »

As far as I know, that's only if you discover magma before reclaiming.

Me, I found a couple of forts where the only way to succeed was to reclaim a couple of times.

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 09:52:27 am »

I try avoid reclaiming at all costs because it's very annoying.  I've had forts where dwarfs spent their time doing nothing but making food and cleaning up the mess, and it took years.  It's very boring.

Edit:  Added key word  :-[
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 12:57:46 pm by Jingles »

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 12:57:57 pm »

get your miners, and then turn them into your military, using the picks (disable mining).  As an interesting side note, a dwarf with some mining skill wielding a pick will rapidly become a Legendary miner in a danger room... apparently they don't actually have to hit rocks to be good at mining, just learn to swing the pick.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 01:06:46 pm »

get your miners, and then turn them into your military, using the picks (disable mining).

Have you actually ever done this?  Are you aware that once a dwarf has become a miner, is it impossible to make him wear armor?  Have fun with that 'military'  8)
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 01:32:49 pm »

get your miners, and then turn them into your military, using the picks (disable mining).

Have you actually ever done this?  Are you aware that once a dwarf has become a miner, is it impossible to make him wear armor?  Have fun with that 'military'  8)

You should disable mining and assign picks via uniform screen.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 05:51:42 pm »

• Build a basic fortress with the starting dwarves, or low population. Have them, one by one, die odd and random but related deaths.
  • Reclaim. Raise the population cap some. Have the dwarves continue work, expanding into a large fortress. Continue the series of deaths until that crew dies out.
  • Reclaim. Raise cap some. Continue work, expanding into a mega-fortress or city. Continue odd deaths. The fortress should die eventually.
  • Continue to reclaim as necessary, raising population cap as you do so. Once you have enough dwarves, the mega-city should eventually tantrum spiral to the edge of oblivion; but, if you have created wealth and controlled death correctly, migrants should continue to come in.
It's the fortress that ensures the death of any who enter; but the prospect of wealth in this magnificent city is too much to give up. Dwarves will migrate in only to die.

I'm pretty sure this general cursed-town setup has been used many times. Dwarven application, as usual, would still be awesome. And, yes: needs magma. Somewhere, somehow, but it'll be dwarfy.
Pages: [1] 2