Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Watchtowers that actually watch  (Read 1946 times)

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
Watchtowers that actually watch
« on: May 15, 2011, 12:59:25 pm »

I suppose the coding would be very difficult, but it would be cool if you could build a tower, officially designate the top floor somehow as a watchtower, and then whenever a soldier is stationed in it, you gain a chance of spotting thieves and ambushes (within X number of spaces) before they actually strike. It should be limited to aboveground and actual line-of-sight, so people can't build telepathic watchpits underground somewhere..
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Watchtowers that actually watch
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 01:07:45 pm »

Erm, correct me if I am wong, but doesnt this already exist? As in - build a stubbyish tower, fortifications on observation layer, make interior a burrow, and assign some marksdwarves there to look out for stuff?
This is a blank sig.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 01:50:11 pm »

Erm, correct me if I am wong, but doesnt this already exist? As in - build a stubbyish tower, fortifications on observation layer, make interior a burrow, and assign some marksdwarves there to look out for stuff?
umm...Nut really. Actually, bu moving upwards via stairs, your downward vision range actually DECREASES!!!

rampaging-poet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 01:52:11 pm »

It does, but it's tied to the watchman's (usually low) Observer skill and has a maximum range of three tiles in any direction.  My uninformed opinion is that preventing dwarves from panicking at the site of a groundhog thirty tiles away likely broke long-distance observation.  Having some means of spotting ambushes from farther away would certainly be useful, and a way to train Observer would certainly be nice.  Perhaps soldiers on patrol or guarding a point could have a wider box to check for opponents and slowly gain Observer skill while doing so?
Lame excuse? 'Having a drink instead' is the dwarfiest reason to not get something done, short of accidentally flooding your home with magma. Or intentionally flooding your home with magma.

Crioca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 05:36:58 pm »

What we need is a lookout zone, that you could assign dwarves too, which you could set up form them to stand at as part of thier orders. Being on lookout duty would also train their observer skill.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 05:40:07 pm »

What we need is a lookout zone, that you could assign dwarves too, which you could set up form them to stand at as part of thier orders. Being on lookout duty would also train their observer skill.

+1 to this.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 08:20:26 pm »

Yeah, that would certainly be easier to manage.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

harborpirate

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels eat: job item lost or destroyed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 08:36:57 pm »

I'd be all for fixing this.

Make dwarves with long paths to enemies not fear them until they take damage.

Give creatures on higher ground line of sight bonuses.

Working watchtowers would be fantastic.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 08:39:40 pm »

It would be nice for sight to pass through constructions made of glass.  That way, you could make glass block floors for your towers.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 09:48:07 pm »

It would be nice for sight to pass through constructions made of glass.  That way, you could make glass block floors for your towers.

Floor grates.  And archers can shoot through them.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 10:07:22 pm »

You might be interested in this thread on "animal-powered watchtowers", where Girlinhat noted that you could simply seal an animal that doesn't eat in a "watchtower", and it would spot creatures for you, out to their detection radius, and never need to eat.

She used windows, however, so that marksmen couldn't shoot into them, and because I don't believe there are any flying building destroyers (aside from FBs and clowns and the like) that could break into the watchtowers.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 12:24:10 am »

clowns

This made me giggle for no apparent reason.  I, for some reason, love how we call the demons "clowns."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 11:32:31 am »

I got ninja'd.  Yeah, my sig.  Witness it and be amaze.  Also note that height does NOT change detection radius.  Detection is a 3 radius (thus 5x5) CUBE.  -3z to +3z gives a 5x5 detection box.  It's marksmen who suffer a range loss when given height, as every level above their target seems to decrease their range by 1.  This results in a diamond-shaped firing range.  Detection range is a cube, and there's been science done to back this up.

Either way, I support parts of this thread.  Namely to 1) allow an increased detection range through some skill OR mental attribute, and 2) make a safe downward sight method that cannot be shot through.  Glass bottom boats must become a reality!  Also swanky aquariums :3

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 12:02:33 am »

+1.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Kattaroten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 10:49:12 am »

I suggested something like this a while ago, ithink... but it was more for archers to be stationed at towers and always get arrows from a special arrow bin... ithink
Dwarf Fortress: You have a team of hundreds working for four years to make a game where you save the world again. We have one guy for four years make a near-infinite world generator, write the physics,generate histories,form detailed descriptions of every human, elf, dwarf, and goblin generated, caverns, and huge randomly generated monsters made out of who knows what. You. guys. suck.
Pages: [1] 2