Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 124

Author Topic: Metal... GEAR?  (Read 131040 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Metal... GEAR?
« Reply #600 on: September 04, 2015, 01:58:38 pm »

I probably should have mentioned the box. It seems to be more useful as a fast travel tool than it is for sneaking, but then again I never tried it in this game yet. In all of the "named" places on the map (that I've visited so far) there are these delivery points you can unlock by picking up the invoices off of their railings, which you can then use the box to fast travel to anywhere you've unlocked/picked up the invoice.

Oh, and I also like to leave the box in the road (dive out from under it while crouched) and when those annoying tguys in the trucks come by they will get out and investigate it.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: September 04, 2015, 02:26:20 pm »

If they haven't found you yet and you're on the edge of the area I've found it can be useful for luring in individual soldiers that have recognized something weird is going on close enough for you to disable them quickly.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 03:02:51 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: September 04, 2015, 03:05:01 pm »

I don't have a stick, I'm using a keyboard.  Maybe that's my problem, I can't actually sneak.
LControl by default to sneak.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: September 04, 2015, 07:47:36 pm »

So some more questions for people more familiar with the series.  What's the point of the box?  I mean I get that it's a meme at this point but what does running around in a cardboard box do that sneaking doesn't?  The only time I've been in a position that my box might've deflected suspicion, they shot it anyway.

I use it frequently when I want to stop vehicles.  If you move ever so slightly they will get out to check what's going on without being on full on alert mode.

Also how do you hold people up?  I did it once by sneaking up on somebody with my gun up but every other time they've just gone into reflex mode.  It seems almost impossible to actually get into melee range without alerting the enemy.

Move slower, stay lower.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: September 04, 2015, 09:23:42 pm »

I don't have a stick, I'm using a keyboard.  Maybe that's my problem, I can't actually sneak.
Hey, you sure about that? Hold down control while moving, it worked for me when playing ground zeros.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: September 05, 2015, 12:43:40 am »

...  I just cleaned house... right before the mission to unlock FOB pops up.  I'm pretty sure it raises the cap above 700...  maybe.

EDIT: Well, either way, there will be no E,D or C grades in my base.  Security will be B Grade I reckon.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 12:48:50 am by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: September 05, 2015, 12:47:15 am »

I didn't know about the control thing.  THat makes it much better.
Shoes...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: September 05, 2015, 12:51:59 am »

It is also viable to do what I call Fist Of The North Star and just sprint into sternum-breaker range before they can call contact.

So some more questions for people more familiar with the series.  What's the point of the box?  I mean I get that it's a meme at this point but what does running around in a cardboard box do that sneaking doesn't?  The only time I've been in a position that my box might've deflected suspicion, they shot it anyway.
I don't think you quite understand. I am not exaggerating when I say that the success or failure of your mission may hinge on how you use that box. Imagine if the enemy is going to patrol through a brightly-lit room. It doesn't matter where you stand, crouch, or badly pretend to be a corpse, they'll spot you immediately. But if they spot a box instead, so long as there's nothing else wrong, they'll pay it no mind. It's just a box.

Further, even if they do investigate, the box provides a perfect ambush point. Not much chance of missing the shot taken at 2 meters. Beyond that, the box itself can function as a decoy, a weapon of psychological warfare. Imagine how you would feel if a cardboard box suddenly appeared in the middle of your patrol route, having not been there mere minutes ago. What could it mean? Is it a message from god? And why does it remind you of the tumultuous rumors surrounding the legendary solider known as Big Boss? I for one would be stopped in my tracks for long periods of time by such a conundrum.

Not to mention, boxes provide excellent transportation opportunities. The slick cardboard sheen easily functions in the same manner as a slip-n-slide, except without water or the part where you're maimed for life by all manner of small rocks and irregularities in the ground. For decades children have known of the simple fact that cardboard boxes are superior to slip-n-slides, so why should you spurn that knowledge?

In addition, mere mortals have the inexplicable tendency to move cardboard boxes around in large transportation vehicles to no discernible end. While clearly a sign of some obscure madness, one may take advantage of the psychosis and use the box to conceal one's self within. In this manner the mentally deadened fools will take you wherever you wish to go in record time, sealing their own fate as they literally deliver you into the objective.

You are also not bound to the tyranny of the beige. It's your box, and you should feel comfortable putting whatever you want on it. It is well known that armies are nearly universally composed of legally blind nymphomaniacs, and as such box graphics can allow one to pose as a boringly indistinct fellow solider or implausibly located sexy lady looking to get hot in your warzone tonight. Such deceptions disarm and disorientate the instinctual attack response, allowing you to respond to their frantic a/s/l requests with a sharp blow to the throat.

But, in the end, a cardboard box is only made of paper. If you misuse it, allow the enemy to attack it, or even just get it wet, it'll fall to pieces in your grasp and be useless. As one who lives on the battlefield, it is your destiny to be in the box, so don't disappoint. Take care of your box, and it'll take care of you.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 01:09:21 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: September 05, 2015, 12:53:50 am »

I didn't know about the control thing.  THat makes it much better.
If you don't know about that, when aiming, press... F, or whatever your binocular button is to go into first person mode when using a weapon, Either that or V.
Alan help.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: September 05, 2015, 02:12:58 am »

I knew about diving for cover while in the box but I guess I didn't fully think over all the interactions it has.  THat's the problem with video games, your options are so constrained that when you're given free reign you can't think outside the box (ugh)

Also I've decided I like the opening credits.  It adds an interesting element of anticipation to it.  A lot of times when big twists happen in video games, maybe cause I"m busy playing, I don't really have time to properly digest what just happens.  I have to play again now that I know the gameplay of the level so I can fully appreciate what's going on outside hte gameplay. 

This means you're ready for the twist.  YOu don't know what's gonna happen but you know something's gonna happen and you're on edge the whole mission waiting for it.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 02:29:19 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: September 05, 2015, 04:36:25 am »

It is also viable to do what I call Fist Of The North Star and just sprint into sternum-breaker range before they can call contact.

I don't think you quite understand. I am not exaggerating when I say that the success or failure of your mission may hinge on how you use that box. Imagine if the enemy is going to patrol through a brightly-lit room. It doesn't matter where you stand, crouch, or badly pretend to be a corpse, they'll spot you immediately. But if they spot a box instead, so long as there's nothing else wrong, they'll pay it no mind. It's just a box.

Further, even if they do investigate, the box provides a perfect ambush point. Not much chance of missing the shot taken at 2 meters. Beyond that, the box itself can function as a decoy, a weapon of psychological warfare. Imagine how you would feel if a cardboard box suddenly appeared in the middle of your patrol route, having not been there mere minutes ago. What could it mean? Is it a message from god? And why does it remind you of the tumultuous rumors surrounding the legendary solider known as Big Boss? I for one would be stopped in my tracks for long periods of time by such a conundrum.

Not to mention, boxes provide excellent transportation opportunities. The slick cardboard sheen easily functions in the same manner as a slip-n-slide, except without water or the part where you're maimed for life by all manner of small rocks and irregularities in the ground. For decades children have known of the simple fact that cardboard boxes are superior to slip-n-slides, so why should you spurn that knowledge?

In addition, mere mortals have the inexplicable tendency to move cardboard boxes around in large transportation vehicles to no discernible end. While clearly a sign of some obscure madness, one may take advantage of the psychosis and use the box to conceal one's self within. In this manner the mentally deadened fools will take you wherever you wish to go in record time, sealing their own fate as they literally deliver you into the objective.

You are also not bound to the tyranny of the beige. It's your box, and you should feel comfortable putting whatever you want on it. It is well known that armies are nearly universally composed of legally blind nymphomaniacs, and as such box graphics can allow one to pose as a boringly indistinct fellow solider or implausibly located sexy lady looking to get hot in your warzone tonight. Such deceptions disarm and disorientate the instinctual attack response, allowing you to respond to their frantic a/s/l requests with a sharp blow to the throat.

But, in the end, a cardboard box is only made of paper. If you misuse it, allow the enemy to attack it, or even just get it wet, it'll fall to pieces in your grasp and be useless. As one who lives on the battlefield, it is your destiny to be in the box, so don't disappoint. Take care of your box, and it'll take care of you.

Sir, I salute you.

you can't think outside the box

Have you learned nothing?  Never think (or for that matter, act) outside of the box.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: September 05, 2015, 05:35:13 am »

That reminded me of Raiden talking over Codec about how Snake taught him about boxes. Ah, good times.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: September 05, 2015, 05:41:56 am »

In peace walker, you even had Box Tanks.
I repeat.
Box Tanks.
Alan help.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: September 05, 2015, 09:56:10 am »

New voice actor, correct?
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: September 05, 2015, 10:12:00 am »

I can safely say at this point that I don't like Sutherland's performance. For one thing, it barely exists. For a game series that has historically been all WORDS WORDS WORDS, Big Boss has basically become a silent protagonist. For example, he has literally six words in the whole prologue.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 124