Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 124

Author Topic: Metal... GEAR?  (Read 130785 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Metal... GEAR?
« Reply #345 on: August 09, 2015, 08:11:53 am »

In Ground Zeroes if a guy reports suspicious activity and never checks in afterward they'll send people to check it out.
Shoes...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: August 09, 2015, 09:33:02 am »

Holding the button doesn't kill them, it only knocks them out, except in MGS3 where holding it firmly will slit their throat with your knife.
I killed SO MANY scientists before I learned that those buttons are analog. I'd had my ps2 a couple of years yet had no idea. It was otherwise a nearly nonlethal run.
I didnt reload. The river was hilarious.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: August 09, 2015, 09:43:05 am »

Y'all are spoiled, I remember the days of MGS1's innovative "five chokes knockout, six chokes neck snap" system.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: August 09, 2015, 09:52:52 am »

Huh, my necrosis reply was surprisingly on topic.
Haven't caught up just yet, but I hope someone has mentioned the Last Days Of Foxhound webcomic. It took dumb 1d characters like Raven and made me care about them. Minimalist art though which didn't bother me, the style gets better too.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: August 10, 2015, 04:26:57 pm »

Emulating Subsistence is fun.
Emulating Subsistence with a keyboard, however, is not fun.
And because literally every button on the controller does something, except during cutscenes, I keep forgetting how to choke people out.
But it's still a good game.
Black lives matter.

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: August 11, 2015, 12:05:52 am »

Emulating Subsistence with keyboard and mouse is indeed terrible. Even the PC version of Substance (MGS2) is terrifying on keyboard and mouse.
EDIT: Does your emulator have a 'weak' button? It's supposed to emulate pressing the buttons weakly if you hold it + press a button, so you don't keep slitting throats. At least, the PC version of MGS2 came with that function, dunno if emulators do that.
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: August 11, 2015, 12:09:26 am »

I personally can't imagine even trying classic MGS with anything other than DualShock. Frankly, while I like the keyboard controls for GZ well enough I'm strongly considering picking up a DualShock 3/4 or clone thereof to try and play Phantom Pain with.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: August 11, 2015, 12:12:08 am »

MGS1 controls were plenty simple for kb&m, but 2? Dear lord! And yeah, the GZ port is a damn masterpiece. Who knows, companies might start putting effort into their ports now! :P
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #353 on: August 11, 2015, 12:44:54 am »

Playing MGS2 without pressure-sensitive buttons on the Xbox 360 was a nightmare; you have to click the sticks to raise and lower your gun. The Vamp fight on EE becomes an absolute chore because of this. It also makes the combat VR missions uncompletable, which makes me extremely salty.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: August 11, 2015, 12:48:34 am »

And yeah, the GZ port is a damn masterpiece.
It's like my more-powerful-than-a-PS4 rig can actually run something better than a PS4 can. It's so refreshing.

Not only that, but Phantom Pain got pretty much everything that was requested for the PC port but 120 FPS support, because it wasn't designed for that and apparently makes Fox Engine have a a very bad day.
No Gods, No Masters.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: August 11, 2015, 02:03:39 am »

I personally can't imagine even trying classic MGS with anything other than DualShock. Frankly, while I like the keyboard controls for GZ well enough I'm strongly considering picking up a DualShock 3/4 or clone thereof to try and play Phantom Pain with.
Just don't get one with square analog sticks. God help you if you get one with square sticks.

Who thought this was a good idea?

You know, I would rather play MGS3 on the PS2 than an emulator. Luckily I have a PS2, and am awaiting MGS3 in the mail as we speak. Along with a wired 360 controller for other emulator shenanigans and 1,000 index cards (unrelated).

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: August 11, 2015, 02:26:15 am »

Presumably the same people who thought that no vibration and the Share button were good ideas. What the fuck Sony. You invent perfection and then you just destroy it.
No Gods, No Masters.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: August 11, 2015, 02:37:20 am »

The no vibration thing was supposedly because of some issue they had with getting the rights to have vibration in their controller on launch day (I assume you're talking PS3). The share button though? The fuck? At least there's a track pad that acts as a big button to compensate, but I can imagine people accidentally hitting that share button again and again when they mean to hit 'select'. Speaking of that, playing Ground Zeroes the pause button is Select, so what would it be on the PS4?

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: August 11, 2015, 03:43:57 am »

Just don't get one with square analog sticks. God help you if you get one with square sticks.

You know, I would rather play MGS3 on the PS2 than an emulator. Luckily I have a PS2, and am awaiting MGS3 in the mail as we speak. Along with a wired 360 controller for other emulator shenanigans and 1,000 index cards (unrelated).
AAAAAAAAAUGH
THE HORROR
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: August 11, 2015, 12:57:15 pm »

I have that exact same controller in front of me right now. Same brand, same model, everything. I guess it's time to start looking for a new one.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 124