Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Modify Kobolds and Goblins for Carnivore Civilization support  (Read 3124 times)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
Re: Modify Kobolds and Goblins for Carnivore Civilization support
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2011, 09:45:00 am »

I think it's pretty obvious that goblins herd trolls, and live off troll-milk.
For they would be your masters.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2011, 10:22:47 am »

I thought the [CARNIVORE] tag made them carnivores? O.o

[BONECARN] implies [CARNIVORE]

BONECARN        Creature 'eats' bones. Eating bones makes their happiness go up, but can cause death (suffocation)Verify. Implies CARNIVORE.

[BONECARN] means they eat bones, it implies they are carnivores because they would have to eat the meat before eating the bones. It won't make them carnivores though.

You don't understand what "implies" means, do you?

im·ply/imˈplī/
Verb: Strongly suggest the truth or existence of (something not expressly stated).

"Implies" is the connective in propositional calculus which has the meaning "if A is true, then B is also true."

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2011, 11:39:43 am »

"Implies" is the connective in propositional calculus which has the meaning "if A is true, then B is also true."

This, also.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2011, 03:17:41 pm »

This, also.

Yes, which means he was right, it WAS in fact implication.

Kattaroten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2011, 03:59:15 am »

I agree with the slave-sprawl-that-has-goblin-overlords idea because that would also explain why all the other species hate goblins with a passion. Other then the kidnapping I mean...
Dwarf Fortress: You have a team of hundreds working for four years to make a game where you save the world again. We have one guy for four years make a near-infinite world generator, write the physics,generate histories,form detailed descriptions of every human, elf, dwarf, and goblin generated, caverns, and huge randomly generated monsters made out of who knows what. You. guys. suck.

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2011, 03:50:03 pm »

I agree that goblins not eating or drinking is kinda silly. Tolkien's Orcs ate bread, after all. I think the key would be to make goblins rely on slave labor for farming or herding, as well as eating slain enemies. This would encourage them to aggressively pursue conflicts with their neighbors to support this sort of lifestyle. As the game is now, assimilated races are treated much the same way as the goblins themselves. There needs to be a bit more expansion on how slavery works in the game, but slaving, man-eating goblins just seems a bit more intimidating then goblins that don't need to eat or drink and just fight because they want to, and is a bit more believable, in my opinion.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2011, 05:51:10 pm »

the only bad thing is how to stop them all dieing in the first few years of world gen, as hunters do now.
and it does give then a reson to do all that kidnapping.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2011, 10:00:35 pm »

This, also.

Yes, which means he was right, it WAS in fact implication.

Yay just what we need, more people derailing a thread for their egos >.>

Last I checked, DF tags aren't calculus. I don't even think they're mathematical. If I had to make a wild guess, I believe they fall under the English category as they're being used in an English context to relay a message to masses. I still stand by my choice of 'inferred'. I also stand by my wife's choice of 'replaced', even though that's logic based and not English based.

Then again, logic does probably fit this scenario better :/
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2011, 11:15:49 pm »

Toady says that herding goblins don't seem scary enough.
Tell that to medieval Europeans whose settlements were raided by vikings. They thought of themselves as herders--so much that they kept cattle and pigs in Greenland despite their advese effects on wildlife. (Although ignorance may have helped that last part). Plus...trolls, giant cave crocs, and all the other wonderful cave beasties that are found in caverns that gobbos ride to siege your fort.

I'm pretty sure that they weren't really herders, herders were generally nomadic and loved primarily off the the product of their animals and not plants.

Goblins that eat their enemies and their own dead would be rather cool. In fact, I think that the RAWs for gobbos has eating enemies as acceptable.

Also, can everyone stop arguing over semantics?
This isn't the Grammar Gestapo HQ or the SturmSpellers Boot Camp, it's the DF Suggestions forum.

It also isn't a place to argue what certain RAW tags betoken, connote, denote, designate, entail, evidence, give a hint,   hint, import, include, insinuate, intend, intimate, involve, mention,   point to, presuppose, refer, signify, suggest or imply.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2011, 08:36:08 am »

The point is, kobolds are carnivores that eat bones.

BONE + CARNivore.
Pages: 1 2 [3]