Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Modify Kobolds and Goblins for Carnivore Civilization support  (Read 3123 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Modify Kobolds and Goblins for Carnivore Civilization support
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2011, 11:20:48 am »

Toady says that herding goblins don't seem scary enough.
Tell that to medieval Europeans whose settlements were raided by vikings. They thought of themselves as herders--so much that they kept cattle and pigs in Greenland despite their advese effects on wildlife. (Although ignorance may have helped that last part). Plus...trolls, giant cave crocs, and all the other wonderful cave beasties that are found in caverns that gobbos ride to siege your fort.

Actually, I see them being on the Golden Horde/Dothraki diet: They drink the milk and blood of their mounts, as well as the occasional bit of mystery jerky.

This is pretty much what I was thinking.

Mmmm, Jabberer milk.... *droolgargle*
Although, I have to admit, this sounds scarier.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2011, 12:05:23 pm »

I think in large part it depends on what one herds. Herding cape buffalo, for instance, would be terrifying for everyone involved.
For they would be your masters.

Lord Zack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2011, 12:41:12 pm »

Isn't this what slaves are for? If Toady doesn't want the goblins herding then the goblins should delegate this duty to slaves. Furthermore, the slaves themselves could supplement the livestock... Goblin civs might have a "sprawl" of villages inhabited by slave laborers watched over by goblin overseers with the slaves tending herds of livestock in grazing fields surrounding the village, surrounding they're dark towers.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2011, 01:03:43 pm »

Goblins herd wolves and worgs. They eat mystery meat. They drink the blood of their victims.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Crioca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2011, 04:49:12 pm »

Toady says that herding goblins don't seem scary enough.
Tell that to medieval Europeans whose settlements were raided by vikings. They thought of themselves as herders--so much that they kept cattle and pigs in Greenland despite their advese effects on wildlife. (Although ignorance may have helped that last part). Plus...trolls, giant cave crocs, and all the other wonderful cave beasties that are found in caverns that gobbos ride to siege your fort.
Yes that was pretty much what I thought, but if he's set on the "no agriculture" thing, why not just have them feed their populations entirely through raiding?

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2011, 04:57:54 pm »

Because they can't raid enough.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Dynastia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2011, 05:14:33 pm »

Okay, so they can't eat because all their food sources are "not scary enough"?

Simple ; give them large litters with a very short gestation period, and let them eat their own babies. After that, they could herd fluffywamblers in the magical gum-drop rainbow forest, and farm butterscotch pudding, and they'd still be utterly terrifying.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2011, 05:32:34 pm »

Goblins are plants.  Use your heads, people.
Shoes...

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2011, 05:36:48 pm »

I thought the [CARNIVORE] tag made them carnivores? O.o

[BONECARN] implies [CARNIVORE]

BONECARN        Creature 'eats' bones. Eating bones makes their happiness go up, but can cause death (suffocation)Verify. Implies CARNIVORE.

harborpirate

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels eat: job item lost or destroyed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2011, 12:39:52 pm »

Have them eat new cavern stuff that grows only in magical areas. Why are gobbos so desperate to break into your fortress? To get into the caverns for food.

Having them eat nothing (without ever going back to fix it) would be lame.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2011, 12:57:47 pm »

The way I understand DF goblins currently, they're an aggressive and territorial civilization, so they're probably agriculturally based, and eat plump helmets mostly, same as dwarves. They probably don't know how to farm much of anything else. Likely, they'd have a snivelling goblin underclass and captured slaves do the farming. That would seem the more likely fate for kidnapped dwarf children, than learning to fight your own kind.

If goblins are spirits, they probably shouldn't build fortresses, but hatch out of the deep underground at various intervals. If they're wandering raiders/ herders (and really this could be an option for goblin, human, and possibly elf civs; DF elves are almost Scythians already) they shouldn't build fortresses either.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2011, 03:56:42 pm »

BONECARN        Creature 'eats' bones. Eating bones makes their happiness go up, but can cause death (suffocation)Verify. Implies CARNIVORE.

[BONECARN] means they eat bones, it implies they are carnivores because they would have to eat the meat before eating the bones. It won't make them carnivores though.

"Urist Mchammer the Undulated Slayer of Green has slain Gobbo Mcrancher the Epic Herder of Cows with Pummellots the Silver Warhammer of Smashing."

I believe this is what Toady is trying to prevent, Urist Mchammer doesn't get a metal for killing a rancher. He doesn't even get a thank you. He can get his metal and thanks when he kills Bloodyhoof the Dwarf-eating Antelope.

Lord Zack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2011, 04:00:34 pm »

Urist Mchammer might get a medal for slaying a brutal goblin slavelord who gets his food from the labors of his slaves and even sometimes eats the slaves, however.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2011, 04:40:08 pm »

[BONECARN] means they eat bones, it implies they are carnivores because they would have to eat the meat before eating the bones. It won't make them carnivores though.

You don't understand what "implies" means, do you?

im·ply/imˈplī/
Verb: Strongly suggest the truth or existence of (something not expressly stated).

Example:
FIREIMMUNE_SUPER        The creature is immune to DRAGONFIREBREATH. Implies FIREIMMUNE.

Find any way to create a creature that has [FIREIMMUNE_SUPER] yet is vulnerable to normal fire (i.e. not [FIREIMMUNE]).

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2011, 04:57:35 pm »

Magma.

Quote from: Dictionary
–verb  (used  with  object),  -plied,  -ply·ing.
to indicate or suggest without being explicitly stated: His words implied a lack of faith.
(of words) to signify or mean.
to involve as a necessary circumstance: Speech implies a speaker.

So unnecessary bashing from poor word choices in a wiki aside O.o I believe the proper word choice would be "Infer" not "Imply". You're also derailing this thread. Stop that!

Here's a list of other word choices to avoid future arguments:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I give on the killing of the goblin slavelord, but it would be much cooler if he was a goblin slavelord of humans. Or dwarves, makes it more ethical if you kill a goblin who has dwarven slaves. This might make it even harder for civilizations to survive if goblins are enslaving and eating them though, they already have a hard enough time as it is.

Edit:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 05:17:23 pm by tolkafox »
Pages: 1 [2] 3