Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Fort Ideas  (Read 2961 times)

Lord Aldrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fort Ideas
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2011, 02:46:22 pm »

could try set up a community fort. the randomness of other people usualy make for wild fortress designs.
i dont get what you mean by this? could you explain?

Technically you're talking about a succession fort. In which players take turns playing for either one in-game year, or one real-world week, then upload the save for the next person. All the while you post the story of what is going on in the forums, here:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?board=14.0

Hilarity ensues.

A community fort is similar, but only one person plays the fort / tells the story. Community members ask to be "dwarfed" and are put in as nicknamed dwarfs. Often, they'll write and post background stories for their dwarfs.

joeybowling

• Bay Watcher
  • KoboldKing
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2011, 04:49:02 pm »

that sound really really awesome
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 04:50:40 pm by joeybowling »
Slaying elves since the dawn of time

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2011, 05:35:46 pm »

Megadorf Military fort: All dorfs of a specific gender who are healthy enough to be useful combat must be in the military. The other gender and crippled have to work. Those too crippled to work get executed. Those who refuse to work are executed. Those who make an exceptionally shitty artifact are executed.

You can have excepts to the crippled rule if the dorf in question is particularly high status, legendary in a skill or more or have great accomplishments.

joeybowling

• Bay Watcher
  • KoboldKing
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2011, 05:44:05 pm »

Megadorf Military fort: All dorfs of a specific gender who are healthy enough to be useful combat must be in the military. The other gender and crippled have to work. Those too crippled to work get executed. Those who refuse to work are executed. Those who make an exceptionally shitty artifact are executed.

You can have excepts to the crippled rule if the dorf in question is particularly high status, legendary in a skill or more or have great accomplishments.
i dont belive in killing my dwarf unless they are really being jerks because all dwarf's are useful when building above ground              also one dwarf made a really snazzy chest engraved in it was a picture of itself

Komus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2011, 08:55:09 am »

Because charcoal is a pain in the backside, and a fully developed fort usually means a lack of wood and a thriving metal industry. Also, when you get a few sieges in quick succession, it's far easier just to wipe a few out with a magma corridor and save yourself some time. That's me anyway. I'm more into water than magma myself.
Maybe it's just a question of play-style, then, because about the only things for which metal is absolutely vital are weapons, ammunition and armour, and I've got more wood than I know what to do with thanks to my extensive wholesale clothing business.
That's one reason I suggested a no-magma challenge, in fact. It forces you to make use of industries that get neglected when you can churn out silver serrated discs almost as easily as you can rock mugs.
my industry normaly is cloth making and im testing out tortis shells and crock boots 

Yeah, cloth is the absolute last industry I set up ::)

joeybowling

• Bay Watcher
  • KoboldKing
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2011, 06:47:46 pm »

if you want to set it up for cheeps i just take it all from the elf's and then dye and make it into coats or sumthin
Pages: 1 2 [3]