Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Fort Ideas  (Read 2962 times)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fort Ideas
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2011, 05:02:31 pm »

Make a giant wooden ship supported at least 1 z-level above the ground. Flood the map with water. It's simple enough, and would look awesome in a visualizer.
Bonus: Pump the water through the ship, including some risk of flooding the ship.
Megabonus: Figure out a way to reenact the Titanic's sinking, with a metal ship.

A sea of magma is also acceptable.

If you're looking for a whole new set of challenges, how about trying to build a fort that uses absolutely no magma for anything?
While this is slightly challenging for an advanced fort, it's not really an idea so much as something you do if you can't handle the magma. I, currently, have not bothered to fully figure out pumping and have left magma mostly alone; I'm working on it, though. Most of my forts have been semi-successful, but I destroy them before any potential can be reached.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2011, 05:15:36 pm »

Make a giant wooden ship supported at least 1 z-level above the ground. Flood the map with water. It's simple enough, and would look awesome in a visualizer.
Bonus: Pump the water through the ship, including some risk of flooding the ship.
Megabonus: Figure out a way to reenact the Titanic's sinking, with a metal ship.

Ultrabonus: make all of this on a freezing arctic ocean, and build the iceberg as well.

A fort idea ? Well, make a true dwarven fortress where every single dwarf bears iron (or steel) arms and armor, trained to at least Proficient military skill and possibly has a badass name. No more random deaths of some stupid civilian getting out and getting slaughtered by gobbos.

However, this will bring exceedingly large amounts of fun should you ever get a tantrum spiral. BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD !
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 05:22:59 pm by Naryar »

joeybowling

• Bay Watcher
  • KoboldKing
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2011, 05:36:37 pm »

43 baby crocks and i have no idea where to store them
Slaying elves since the dawn of time

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2011, 09:00:57 pm »

I want to make a super-soldier at some point - fully adamantine legendary armor and weapon, with legendary, embroidered emerald under-clothing. Legendary in all miner fighting skills in addition to the major ones (because you know they'll drop their weapon at some point). Then send them to fight demons and take a spot over in hell.

As for ideas for the actual fort, there are tons out there. What do we have access to? Expand lakes via ice-creation until you can make an entire entrance into a dwarf-made internal waterfall. Build giant temples for whoever your dwarves worship, including gold, lakes, gem windows, magma pools, glass, and so forth. Make a tower to store coffins, make it large enough to hold hundreds upon hundreds of dwarves. Happily slaughter (or leave to the sieges) all new migrants for years until it's filled up. Etc.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

joeybowling

• Bay Watcher
  • KoboldKing
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2011, 09:43:45 pm »

there's something i thought was super awesome every winter some of the river freezes and it over flows and creates a small lake tell the warm seasons roll in then the carp get onto land and die and im all like SCREW YOU CARP YEARS OF OPERATION REVENGED!

Seanp888

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy *shrug*
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2011, 09:56:43 pm »

Ah ha i just had an idea for my next fort, I'm gonna pick a spot with the most water i can possibly get , Aka next to an ocean , and then make the whole city suspended above said body of water !
\  I don't imagine them marching out there in a column and facing the enemy in a phalanx and using traditional footwork and precise blows to disable their target.  I figure they chug six beers, strap up and roll out with the intention of making something vomit.\

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2011, 10:20:44 pm »

While this is slightly challenging for an advanced fort, it's not really an idea so much as something you do if you can't handle the magma. I, currently, have not bothered to fully figure out pumping and have left magma mostly alone; I'm working on it, though. Most of my forts have been semi-successful, but I destroy them before any potential can be reached.

True, but a lot of players seem to be rather dependent on it. I'm sure I don't know why, the last time I even went near it the entire surface ended up on fire.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Komus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2011, 05:17:22 am »

Because charcoal is a pain in the backside, and a fully developed fort usually means a lack of wood and a thriving metal industry. Also, when you get a few sieges in quick succession, it's far easier just to wipe a few out with a magma corridor and save yourself some time. That's me anyway. I'm more into water than magma myself.

So you're going with houses on struts, crocs, I liiike! I think this officially makes your dwarves a tribe...

How about a big stepped pyramid in the middle of the village, with some plumbing, a mausoleum underneath naturally, maybe a nice glass point at the top?

Definately need to weaponize those crocs - magma corridors are easy, but how about a corridor that FILLS WITH WAR CROCS. To collect them back up, you'll need several chambers with cage traps and a restrained goblin.

Hope this gives you some ideas :)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2011, 05:29:37 am »

My camels are now [TRAINABLE_WAR] Fun will be had.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2011, 10:47:00 am »

Because charcoal is a pain in the backside, and a fully developed fort usually means a lack of wood and a thriving metal industry. Also, when you get a few sieges in quick succession, it's far easier just to wipe a few out with a magma corridor and save yourself some time. That's me anyway. I'm more into water than magma myself.
Maybe it's just a question of play-style, then, because about the only things for which metal is absolutely vital are weapons, ammunition and armour, and I've got more wood than I know what to do with thanks to my extensive wholesale clothing business.
That's one reason I suggested a no-magma challenge, in fact. It forces you to make use of industries that get neglected when you can churn out silver serrated discs almost as easily as you can rock mugs.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2011, 10:51:30 am »

All military fort. Everyone must be armed and armoured in the best available, no matter how irrational it seems.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

joeybowling

• Bay Watcher
  • KoboldKing
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2011, 12:12:55 pm »

Maybe it's just a question of play-style, then, because about the only things for which metal is absolutely vital are weapons, ammunition and armour, and I've got more wood than I know what to do with thanks to my extensive wholesale clothing business.
That's one reason I suggested a no-magma challenge, in fact. It forces you to make use of industries that get neglected when you can churn out silver serrated discs almost as easily as you can rock mugs.
my industry normaly is cloth making and im testing out tortis shells and crock boots   

So you're going with houses on struts, crocs, I liiike! I think this officially makes your dwarves a tribe...

How about a big stepped pyramid in the middle of the village, with some plumbing, a mausoleum underneath naturally, maybe a nice glass point at the top?

Definately need to weaponize those crocs - magma corridors are easy, but how about a corridor that FILLS WITH WAR CROCS. To collect them back up, you'll need several chambers with cage traps and a restrained goblin.

Hope this gives you some ideas :)
i do plan to weaponize the strongest crocks im going to make a pressure plate release them from the celing and onto my enimes also a lever in case i need them released faster or if the monster wont activate the plate

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2011, 02:03:32 pm »

Here are my ideas for Fencedsword.

I'm building my first magma stack, over a hundred levels of it, with my population cap set to ten. I only have eleven civilians to do the work so it's taking a while. I have six dwarves in the military, and so far four axedwarves have been trained up to legendary shield users and returned back to civilian duties. I plan on doing this for all member of the fort, and equipping them in encrusted steel and adamantine armour. Once the pump stack is done I'll fool around with magma traps and build a glass spire sweeping up from buttresses emerging from the walls of the gorge surrounding the waterfall.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2011, 02:15:54 pm »

could try set up a community fort. the randomness of other people usualy make for wild fortress designs.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

joeybowling

• Bay Watcher
  • KoboldKing
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2011, 02:36:38 pm »

could try set up a community fort. the randomness of other people usualy make for wild fortress designs.
i dont get what you mean by this? could you explain?
Pages: 1 [2] 3