Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Fort Ideas  (Read 2972 times)

joeybowling

• Bay Watcher
  • KoboldKing
    • View Profile
Fort Ideas
« on: May 14, 2011, 12:23:17 pm »

so i have been playing for quite some time and im starting to get fort block (kinda like writers block) cant for the life of me think of any good fort ideas. Post your idea and i will try to make it
Slaying elves since the dawn of time

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Fort Ideas
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 12:26:39 pm »

Get Fortress Overseer (search for it in the modding forums).  It takes a memory patch, which is very easy to plug in, and once you get it running it will very easily inspire you by simple virtue of being active.  Megaconstructions will create themselves as you tinker with the visual aspects and find yourself building bigger and more impressive, for the sheer joy of watching the thing in 3D.

So, for that, anything above-ground and large will work.  Towers, massive walls, pipeworks, lattice shaped forts with no central point, anything that "looks" cool.  Then zoom down to ground level and look up at it from a dwarf's eye view.

joeybowling

• Bay Watcher
  • KoboldKing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 12:28:44 pm »

Get Fortress Overseer (search for it in the modding forums).  It takes a memory patch, which is very easy to plug in, and once you get it running it will very easily inspire you by simple virtue of being active.  Megaconstructions will create themselves as you tinker with the visual aspects and find yourself building bigger and more impressive, for the sheer joy of watching the thing in 3D.

So, for that, anything above-ground and large will work.  Towers, massive walls, pipeworks, lattice shaped forts with no central point, anything that "looks" cool.  Then zoom down to ground level and look up at it from a dwarf's eye view.

i allways enjoyed building above ground towers...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 12:33:19 pm »

Start with something you're not entirely used to.  Water is always fun.  Fluid logic can be killer (literally!).  Decorative forts with more flourish than function are plenty fun.  Something distinctly dwarven, like constructing a giant barrel from nether cap (because it's cold to the touch) and filling it with magma, or a giant battle axe with an adamantine edge, with dwarves living inside it!  Or somewhat more basic ideas, like build your entire fort 5 levels off the ground, supported by thick struts, and putting every block of fortress another 5 levels above the last one, creating a wedding-cake look.  Build bridges that look like bridges, with proper arches and under-support.  Or go the distance and obsidian cast a new mountain for yourself in the middle of the plains.  Dwarves are mountain men, and if there is no mountain, we will MAKE a mountain!

joeybowling

• Bay Watcher
  • KoboldKing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 12:35:47 pm »

ya i dont mess around with liquids that often mostly because pump stacks are a pain... so i never tried obby casting

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 12:40:48 pm »

It's great fun!  I suggest that every player should spend some time on a shallow world (easier to pump magma) with a river and invasions off, and just mess around with liquids for a few years.  Build a drowning chamber, a mist generator, obsidian caster, swimming pool, battleground where your soldiers can face carp on their home field, aquarium, etc.  Use of water will reinvent your fortress defenses, as you start to use drowning chambers to augment your soldier defense, and use water to push creatures into a pit full of spikes, and get rid of pesky nobles via magma encasing their bedroom...

joeybowling

• Bay Watcher
  • KoboldKing
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 12:42:44 pm »

i got a nice brook in this haunted forest i may try to build a nice water fall

joeybowling

• Bay Watcher
  • KoboldKing
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 12:48:08 pm »

heres the current building plan. First im going to build a bunch of house's 2 lvls above ground start my crocodile/ tortoise farm. then im going to build a snazzy water fall in the middle of it

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 12:49:38 pm »

Bonus points if you manage to wall in and flood the area under the houses, to make a swamp.

joeybowling

• Bay Watcher
  • KoboldKing
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 12:51:08 pm »

i must have points!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 01:42:02 pm »

Dwarf points if you make a magma swamp and mod the crocs/tortoises to be magma breathable.

joeybowling

• Bay Watcher
  • KoboldKing
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 02:31:28 pm »

Dwarf points if you make a magma swamp and mod the crocs/tortoises to be magma breathable.
  no i get that lava is great in all but no

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 03:55:02 pm »

While building is great, forts that experiment with game aspects can be so rewarding!  Explore ice, build a fort that uses a gauntlet of ice traps, as soon as one pathway is sealed by one trap going off, reroute to another hall of doom, towers out of ice are practically a necessity, bonus points for automatic reset system (would require magma).  Or explore the caverns, breed exotic caverns life into jabber and reacher armies, harvest plump helmet men and train antmen gladiators.  Capture and weaponize forgotten beasts. Just trying for something ridiculous and failing generally makes for an awesome fort
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 04:51:39 pm »

If you're looking for a whole new set of challenges, how about trying to build a fort that uses absolutely no magma for anything?
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

joeybowling

• Bay Watcher
  • KoboldKing
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2011, 04:58:38 pm »

If you're looking for a whole new set of challenges, how about trying to build a fort that uses absolutely no magma for anything?
  i rarely use magma and when i do use it its simply for smelting

Or explore the caverns, breed exotic caverns life into jabber and reacher armies, harvest plump helmet men and train antmen gladiators.  Capture and weaponize forgotten beasts.
that is something i normaly like to mess around with
Pages: [1] 2 3