Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Slaughtergorges- Terrifying Glacier Succession Fort (overseers wanted!)  (Read 15232 times)

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Slaughtergorges- Terrifying Glacier Succession Fort (24 hour turns)
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2011, 11:17:34 pm »

I'm starting the Succession!

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2011, 12:01:10 am »

Journal of Urist McMean Jr.

Spring

1st Granite, year 5.
"Don't worry," he said, "I've got us signed onto a fortress crew! We'll be the founders! Nobles!"

Well, Dad, I'm sure that turned out great for you, hasn't it?

Now we're trapped in a stupid cavern made of salt, it snows all year, and there's two zombie rocs knocking on our door!

Meanwhile, I can't even sleep in my own bed, because there's rocks everywhere!

No one seems to be starving to death, at least there's that. First order of business: Clean up!

7th Granite

I built a larger pasture for our animals. There's still an ungodly number of rocks left.

Looks like no one bothered to build bins, and our fortress is now overflowing with salty mugs.

To use up more stone, I've commissioned for more furniture to be built.

11th Granite

Breakthrough! I've ordered the newly constructed pasture to become a stone stockpile. Out of sight, out of mind.

21st Granite

Rovod is acting awfully secretive. He's grabbed a hold of some wood and marble and commandeered a crafter's workshop

Oh, it's just a mug. Great.

5th Slate

With the arrival of migrants, I've finally had the chance to take a look outside. I've managed to account for one of the missing dogs. It's been fighting a Blizzard Man. It's winning.

Also, there's a nest! I'm not sure how Zombie Rocs managed to procreate, but I plan on catching that roc hatchling once it hatches.

9th Slate

The migrants are trapped behind the zombie rocs. I think our armed military can take down two blind zombie rocs. To arms!

13th Slate

Rocs weren't even an issue. We also killed the Blizzard man. Population up to 76 now. We're going to need beds soon. I've started setting up the cage trap around the nest.

5th Felsite

Roc trap is set.

19th Felsite

Elves!

25th Felsite

Took everything from the elves, offloaded some of our salty mugs. We still have far too much salty mugs.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 04:15:47 am by blah28722 »

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2011, 01:34:45 am »

Summer

23rd Hematite

You know, as the mayor, I think that I deserve to have a better office.

Seeing as how I'm the mayor, I agree with myself and ordered the building of a mayoral office.

27th Hematite

One of the dwarves went and built this nice waste of precious iron. At least our dwarven battering rams can charge into battle wearing something valuable now.

7th Malachite

Migrants!

15th Galena

Humans!

Goblins! It's a siege too!

Thankfully, they're being preoccupied by the skeletal yaks that have been hanging around the fort. We're letting the humans in now.

21st Galena

We've routed the goblin invaders. Unfortunately, Ustuth and Ral sustained serious injuries during the fight.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 02:20:23 am by blah28722 »

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2011, 01:35:18 am »

Can it even hatch, now that the parents are dead?
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2011, 02:46:23 am »

Autumn and Winter

16th Sandstone

After an uneventful month, migrants have arrived!

18th Timber

Another uneventful month. Merchants are here! I requested mostly food next year, with some metal.

3rd Obsidian

One of the dwarves made a warhammer today. I was told it was of an exceptional quality. Meh.

14th Obsidian

We're under siege! Looks like two squads, this time.

19th Obsidian

A group of blizzard men are accompanying the goblins! Our scouts have reported three squads. One squad of lashers led by a pikemaster, a squad of macegoblins led by a hammerlord, and the group of blizzard men.

24th Obsidian

Despite unlikely odds, we've won the battle!

Commander Ustuth led the charge, a single dwarf against thirty enemies.

As Ustuth's initial battle frenzy ends, more dwarves charge in to help.

Dumat, one of our newer recruits, is picked off by the Hammerlord. He did not survive.

We ended up losing three dwarves:

Dumat Zonbab, Axedwarf
Erith Desisobok, Speardwarf
Zefon Odkishmonom, Baby and child of Iden Lulorkulet, who also suffered heavy injuries.

The soldiers are being brought back for treatment as we speak.

28th Obsidian,

Apparently, I'm being relieved of my administrative duties. I guess there are other dwarves who are more qualified for the job. After all, I couldn't even defend the fortress from crippling stone surplus, two zombie rocs, and two goblin sieges.

Oh wait, I did.

You know what, I don't even care. I'm still the mayor. I'll have fun living in my mayoral mansion while whomever takes my place fails epically.

P.S.

The fort is doing fine. We have no shortage of foodstuffs. Our military is stretched a bit thin after the last battle, so we may need more recruits.

The floating arena built as part of my stone clean-up project is still entirely unused. I don't particularly care what you do with it.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 04:12:30 am by blah28722 »

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2011, 11:19:42 am »

Autumn and Winter
One of the dwarves made a warhammer today. I was told it was of an exceptional quality. Meh.

Decent. It's better than a steel warhammer, anyway. Not quite as good as copper or silver.
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

JohnnyDigs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2011, 04:59:57 pm »

Blah did you post any pics? I can't see them. Whats the hammer made of?

By the way wlerin, it is currently your turn.

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2011, 06:12:17 pm »

Whoa, how did that happen. Carp.

edit: 1) Blah posted a lot of pics. Can you access photobucket? That's where he hosted them.
2) I could have sworn there were several people in line before me when I checked this morning.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 06:20:27 pm by wlerin »

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2011, 06:52:58 pm »

Oi.

This is going to require some actual effort.

---

I've maybe 5 hours total, less if things tomorrow morning take longer than expected.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 07:12:52 pm by wlerin »

JohnnyDigs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2011, 08:03:40 pm »

1) Blah posted a lot of pics. Can you access photobucket? That's where he hosted them.

I can access photobucket. Are Blah's pics gone or I just can't see them?

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2011, 08:17:13 pm »

1) Blah posted a lot of pics. Can you access photobucket? That's where he hosted them.

I can access photobucket. Are Blah's pics gone or I just can't see them?
They take up about 9/10ths of this page. Not sure why you can't see them.

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2011, 09:30:43 pm »

Player's Observations:

There's only one cavern layer? Or did we just get really "lucky" and bypass the first two?

Nice to see we have multiple lines of defense. Oh wait...

Also, the two farm plots are exactly 4 tiles x 4 tiles. Great for fertilizer.

Workshop area is a nice touch though. Not very mood-safe, but well organized, good stockpile control.

Looks like I'm going to assemble a medical team (the chief medical dwarf has 0 surgery, bone doctor, or suturing experience D: ) and a marksdwarf squad. And maybe work a little on some of the other details. (Like, say, expanding the food industry and sealing some of these wide-open roofs.)

I've got to find an avatar or this isn't going to work.

-----

Sometime Later:

Maybe I shouldn't have opened up the caverns...

FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU-

A preview of what is to come:

« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 10:32:42 pm by wlerin »

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2011, 06:14:05 pm »

Well... that was actually rather anticlimactic. Save is archived, I'm uploading now. I'll post a short summary with key screenshots right now, and come back later to flesh it out (when I'm more awake and have a better network connection).

The Save
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 06:23:38 pm by wlerin »

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2011, 07:25:02 pm »

Note: All dates are invented. My records weren't that accurate.

From the Journal of Chief Medical Dwarf Khoreas Ottosmeng, Slaughtergorges, 1st Granite, Year 6

We have managed to carve out a stable, thriving community despite the harsh surroundings, and no thanks to our neighbours. Last year saw one goblin ambush after another. Add that to the bands of blizzard men, ice wolves, and undead roaming this glacier, and the magnitude of our success becomes apparent.

I'm not certain I can keep up with the injuries though... it takes enough of my attention diagnosing and dressing each incoming dwarf without also having to suture and set, nevermind performing surgery.

3rd Granite, Year 6
While talking in the dining hall yesterday, I learned that Urist McMean II has left off building the arena. In fact, it seems that our mayor has given up directing anything at all, and instead spends his time lounging about his new domicile and making ludicrous demands. A few of the fellows suggested I take the position.

I declined, of course. I'm not exactly the mayor type. Still, it wouldn't hurt to suggest a few things next time I'm in the dining hall. Half the fortress is usually lounging there, eating or drinking or playing halatafl, and meanwhile Urist's half finished absurdity leaves us wide open to the caverns.

Oh, also, most of our livestock is starving. And we have two farm plots.

Oh right, I was going to make this brief.

11th Granite, Year 6
Excavation of the new fields is proceeding apace. Since the old well will be drained in this process, a new well is being constructed beside the fields.

12th Granite, Year 6
Praise the miners! While excavating the new well, they channelled directly into the magma sea. Thankfully no one was hurt (or incinerated) and the errant channel was floored over. I've heard rumours that a mythical metal was also sighted inside the sea, but they are certainly unfounded.

14th Granite, Year 6
Wondrous news! Here, in this frozen wasteland, two of my fellow dwarves have found love. Rakust Nitemrakust and Mafol Erushtitthal have been wed!

19th Granite
Urist McMean's "Management of Surplus Stone Project" is being dismantled as we speak. Not the arena. I mean the constructed floors he had built all over the main walkways, which are now impeding the expansion of our living spaces. Everyone joined in.

We shall tread upon the raw stone.

21st Granite
Apparently there is a magma pool nearby. It was spotted during the well incident. The miners are now working on new magma foundry.

23rd Granite

One of the miners reported seeing an enormous, terrifying humanoid form on the other side of the magma pool. He claims it was made of crystal glass, and had a wingspan 100 feet wide. Yes, wingspan. It was flying. Worse still, the air about it shimmered, like it was full of minute crystalline dust.

I've heard rumours of terrible, forgotten things living far below the ground. I fear we have stumbled on one at last.

... We are doomed.

25th Granite
Or not.

After hovering ominously on the far side of the magma pool, the forgotten thing turned around and wandered into an unexplored section of the caverns. We are safe. For now. I've "suggested" we redouble the effort to seal off part of the cavern, so we can farm and pasture our animals in relative safety.

Mid-Spring
Elves! I've never seen an elf before. Heard plenty about them of course, horrible things, most likely just to scare the children.

They aren't much to look at.

JohnnyDigs took a break from mining to deal with them. Afterwards he handed me a clay tablet with a list of what he had purchased. He muttered something about "never doing that again". Not sure if he meant trading with the elves or making an exhaustive list.

Clay tablet found with the journal.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Late Spring
Goblins! Another ambush! Quickly, raise the drawbridge! We can deal with them once the cavern is secure.

Later Spring
Of course, the bridge was never actually raised. Most were captured in traps and then the last two ran off. Heh. I guess I was worried about nothing.

Still, 2 layers of traps and one bridge is not sufficient. I'll have to see if we can expand these defenses somehow.

25th Felsite
The fields have been hollowed out, and the lakes are now draining into them. Soon we will have enough pasture for all our varied livestock, and room for additional farms. All secured against invasion.

5th Hematite
Ice Wolves came out of nowhere. They've cornered one of our masons and are preventing us from retrieving the bodies and equipment from the last major ambush. The military is being recalcitrant.

7th Hematite
The mason died. The soldiers have finally arrived on the scene though, so no other lives should be claimed.

The elves have set off on their journey. Hmm. They're travelling through the caves. I hope they know what they are doing. We need their wood.

20th Hematite
Rakust Nitemrakust took on the aspect of the fey this morning. He has claimed a craftsdwarf's workshop and now is screaming for various items, among them silk cloth, which we have none of. Also bones... hmm. I thought we had more bones...

28th Hematite
Migrants. Six of them.

An engineer
A miner (He will come in handy)
A mechanic
A thresher (be nice if we had something to thresh. No one thought to bring rock nuts.)
A bowyer
And a... a presser. Whoopdidoo. Hauling duty, now!

----

I'll have to finish this later. Sincere apologies. :(
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9