Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Slaughtergorges- Terrifying Glacier Succession Fort (overseers wanted!)  (Read 15237 times)

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Slaughtergorges- Terrifying Glacier Succession Fort (24 hour turns)
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2011, 10:40:59 pm »

The floors constructed by the food stockpiles were mine, I'm afraid. I had intended to deconstruct them, but time and the fact that I played my turn while mostly asleep ruined my plans.

You seem to have had the fortress well in hand, though. Slaughtergorges appears to be thriving.

JohnnyDigs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2011, 04:51:55 pm »

Its currently Vandersleld's turn. I'll go another turn since no one is in line. Btw, why am I in a coffin?

Vandersleld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2011, 06:23:22 pm »

I'll pick up the save and get started in a little bit.

Wait, IS there a save?

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2011, 08:45:24 pm »

I didn't realize the times were GMT. Oops. Almost done, then I'll post the save.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2011, 03:41:05 am »

The Save

2nd Granite, Year 7
-----------------------
Seven years. Seven years I been in this hellhole of a Fortress called Slaughtergorges. My name’s Gatleos, and ’m one of the sole survivors o’ the nearly botched initial colonization o’ this thrice-damned glacier. I always chalked the King’s insistence on colonizin’ the most inhospitable, Deler-forsaken undead wastelands to severe Dwarven xenophobia, but ‘e’s got no excuse this time. ‘E’s sent us a plump helmet’s throw away from a Dark Goblin Fortress an’ in the middle of a derelict glacier! I don’ think we got much time ‘fore the undead horrors below an’ above tear us apart, so I’m keepin’ this journal along with my engravin’s to tell any who may listen o’ the sad tale of Slaughtergorges. Lest they fall to the same fate.

3rd Granite, Year 7
-------------------------
Today, I had a pleasant chat with me good friend Varnish! It seems he’s helpin’ organize some kind of union for us masons. ‘Bout time! ‘E had me sign some sort o’ petition or somesuch. Nice guy, Varny.

5th Granite, Year 7
That double-crossin’, beardless Arelkosak! That was no petition; it was a form for the transfer o’ the position of expedition leader! That macaque Varnish tricked me!

…Well, looks like I‘m the new leader o’ this Fortress. Time to get to work.

8th Granite, Year 7
Great. First week on the job, an’ we got a mooder already…

18th Granite, Year 7
--------------------------
Y’know, there’s a lot of things you notice that you never did before, bein’ expedition leader. For instance, the catapult range upstairs.

I always wondered what that banging sound was…

22nd Granite, Year 7
There are perks, too. As expedition leader, I can finally get that lazy bookkeeper off his hairy ass and into some real work. He’s now doin’ double duty as the city broker.

‘E’s still a pain in the ass, though.

24th Granite, Year 7
Well, that thresher finally finished ‘is project! Let’s see what ‘e made!

A ring…?

*sigh*

26th Granite, Year 7
Aye, not sure why I’m bringin’ this up, but the water from the well tastes like dead cat.

4th Slate, Year 7
---------------------
Great, migrants. It’s a vicious cycle, don’t ya see?! It’s the obviously brain-damaged Dwarves that come here of their own will that inevitably screw us over and make this place hell!

21st Slate, Year 7
---------------------
Hmm, an Elven caravan just arrived.

But the dungeon isn’t quite done!

So, here’s the thing… the military needed some training, and I was a bit bored at the time…

But we got some new pets out of the deal!

15th Hematite, Year 7
----------------------------
Sweet Sankis, I’d heard stories about Neca Ocithelo the Glass Beast, but it’s more terrifying than I could possibly have imagined! It’s been screechin’ at the haulers from across the magma pipe all day. In other news, we have undead… magma crabs. Huh.

27th Hematite, Year 7
The housing project an’ extended trap corridor are coming along nicely, though I keep catchin’ the mechanics slackin’ off at the booze stockpile…

Oh, an’ the spearmaster is startin’ to freak me out.

15th Galena, Year 7
Aye, seems we’ve got another mooder on our hands. Weaponsmith this time. Hopefully we can get some legendary weapons in here, those ice wolfs have been a pain recently.

18th Galena, Year 7
Snatcher! Looks like the Goblins’re getting restless again. Time to prepare the militia.

22nd Galena, Year 7
Ambush, I knew it!

Good thing I coated the entrance hall with traps. Ha ha!

In other news…

Ha! Finally, a useful artifact! The elite marksdwarves upstairs’re gonna love this!

16th Sandstone, Year 7
Some o’ my best work, I must say.

Apparently we had some ‘uman traders. Funny, I didn’t even see ‘em until they disappeared into the caverns. Strange creatures, those ‘umans.

Noooooooo! It would’ve made a fine war animal…

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In related news, the fortress is nearin’ 200 Dwarves! Never thought I’d see the day, but we’ve become one o’ the biggest settlements in the northern continents!

12th Timber, Year 7
It’s nearin’ winter, though you could n’ae tell by lookin’ outside. The caravan’ll be here soon, and—

NO URIST FOR THE LAST TIME WE DON’T HAVE BRASS

Ah, speak o’ Armok. ‘Tis the caravan! Things’re lookin’ up—

Ah, nuts.

3rd Moonstone, Year 7
We have… a bit of a bloodbath on our hands. A few o’ the Goblin prisoners escaped during transport to the trade depot, an’ the military engaged in close-quarters combat in the dungeon. Seems to be fine now, though. Damned thieves…

6th Moonstone, Year 7
NO YOU IDIOTS, GET BACK INSIDE!

Multiple Goblin ambushes… dozens o’ Dwarves ran outside… slaughter…

I’ve ordered a Fortress-wide lockdown. No one leaves until those Goblins’re gone! Phew…

19th Moonstone, Year 7
Urist finally had a conversation with the liaison, and came back with good news!

And who was appointed baron? Why, none other than my lover, SirAaronIII! That makes me the future consort!

23rd Moonstone, Year 7
Armok save us, the haulers and stonecrafters have gone insane and’re trashing the fortress! Tantrums are spreadin’ like wildfire!

Oh, uh… ah no…

CHAOOOOOOOOSSS

Wait, someone had a mood?!

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHH

29th Moonstone, Year 7
So much… miasma… blood… everywhere…

25th Opal, Year 7
-----------------------
Bodies… piles of dead bodies… mutilated children…

27th Opal, Year 7
-----------------------
Most of my friends… they’re dead…

Meh, I didn’t really like that guy anyway.

12th Obsidian, Year 7
-----------------------
…………..

12th Obsidian, Year 7
-----------------------
All… All burn…

Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2011, 03:10:03 pm »

18th Granite, Year 7
Y’know, there’s a lot of things you notice that you never did before, bein’ expedition leader. For instance, the catapult range upstairs.

I always wondered what that banging sound was…
I figured I'd kill two birds with one stone. Or rather, obliterate some of our surplus stone while simultaneously training a few siege operators.

Quote from: Gatleos
26th Granite, Year 7
Aye, not sure why I’m bringin’ this up, but the water from the well tastes like dead cat.
I've no idea how that happened. I know exactly when it happened, just no idea how.

15th Hematite, Year 7
Sweet Sankis, I’d heard stories about Neca Ocithelo the Glass Beast, but it’s more terrifying than I could possibly have imagined! It’s been screechin’ at the haulers from across the magma pipe all day. In other news, we have undead… magma crabs. Huh.
I wonder ... I've heard that flying creatures can't path to you if there isn't access by foot. As long as we don't build any floors to the other side of the magma pool....

Noooooooo! It would’ve made a fine war animal…

Grazers, at least tame ones, will starve if caged, as will your own dwarves if no one brings them food.

Oh, right... the fortress guard is also the medical team. Don't ask. >_>

Also, JohnnyDigs died towards the end of my turn, thanks to a freak mining accident and a lack of plaster and soap.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 03:28:27 pm by wlerin »
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2011, 06:46:13 pm »

0_0

You know, I thought of just sealing the whole fortress inside Urist McMean's Manor and collapsing it into the cavern as soon as migrants arrived. That might still be a good option.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Vandersleld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2011, 10:31:15 pm »

Right, getting the save. Is it alright if I deliver it tomorrow at the scheduled time?

Also, what the heck happened here?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 01:35:21 am by Vandersleld »

Vandersleld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2011, 10:22:38 pm »

BEHOLD THE SAVE: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4452

Due to time limitations and doing a few more things IRL than I had planned on, I didn't go through all that much fortress-time. Ah well; I like to think that I accomplished a little bit. Enjoy!

Journal of Vandersleld, Former Beekeeper:

8 Granite
   I was huddled under my workbench for the third month in a row, contemplating making yet another run through the seething chaos and angst in our halls, when Gatleos, our fine and normally quite composed fortress overseer, leaped through the door and crashed into a stack of loose hives in the corner. Without bothering to stand, or even to remove the bloodied sock lodged in her abdomen, she declared in a firm and slightly maddened voice:
   "Vandersleld Ducimathel, you are now overseer of this madhouse. Enjoy."
   And then she collapsed. The stress of management, compounded by the recent insanity, must have finally taken its toll on our once-stoic former overseer.
   As my first act as overseer, I dared to peek around the doorframe. It seemed like the random acts of violence had calmed down since I'd last been out of the shop, vaulting over corpses, keg in one hand and weaponized thong in the other. Other than the sobbing dwarf at the end of the hall and the disemboweled cavy spread across the floor, it was almost back to normal.
   I ventured into the fortress proper for a rough count of the living. Of the nearly 200 dwarves living in Koshigam just a few months ago, under 90 remained living. Of those, perhaps 20 were mental and emotional wrecks, staggering about nude and trying to eat their own legs; 30 others were in a state of deep depression, disturbed by the loss of so many dear friends, or laying incapacitated in the hospital. The 40 relatively content and sane survivors were soon put to work making coffins for the hundred bodies strewn through our halls. There was no time to make headstones for all the dead, so a scribbled note on each casket would have to suffice for identification until everything was cleaned up.

9 Granite
   Stukos the Unconscious Hammerdwarf, a once proud member of our militia now relegated to a cot in the hospital, is throwing a tantrum. While unconscious. How could one dwarf be so unhappy as to lash out in violence while asleep? I sought out the chief medical dwarf to see to the silently raging hammerdwarf, only to find that he had been slain in the violence. I appointed Sodel Oddomazuz, a recent arrival skilled in diagnosing, to triage our many wounded.

11 Granite
   Excavation of the expanded tomb complex has been finally completed, only mildly delayed by the complete mental breakdown of one of the miners.

22 Granite
   Mayor Urist McMean intercepted me as I was attempting to resuscitate the managerial system, demanding a brass door in his bedroom. I was about to chide him for making such an absurd demand at a time such as this, but I noticed a slight twitch in his bloodshot eyes, and the tensing muscles in his forearms, so I quietly added his request to the work orders. Perhaps a wonderful door to nowhere in particular would do him a spot of good...

24 Granite
   It is simply too much for me. Our esteemed baron, upset that the furniture upended in his quarters by an insane engraver had not been replaced, has flown into a fit of rage. Anticipating some "disorderly conduct" on his part, I appointed myself Captain of the Guard, located a suitable Stick of Face-Wrecking, and prepared to dish out some justice.

26 Granite
   "I AM THE LAW!!!" -whack whack whack-

2 Slate
   A strange bloated six-legged coati composed of diorite has found its way into the walled-off, "safe" section of the caverns. Having finally familiarized myself with the fortress lever system, I ordered the caverns sealed, content to let the beast have at the few starving goats wandering about the cavern.
   However, two vexing things then occurred:
      1. I noticed that Mayor McMean, pissed as ever despite his wonderful new pointless brass door, had managed to lock himself in the sealed cavern, and was under hot pursuit by both the foul diorite coati and an angry peasant.
      2. The caven was in fact NOT sealed, allowing the beast to chase McMean into our very non-secure basement.
   I ordered the military into action, hoping that the beast was not of the sort that turned both blade and blow. As Zefron, resident ghostly engineer, looked on mopingly yet somehow gleefully, our military proved its worth by stabbing the beast until it was very dead.

6 Slate
   Sir Aaron III has gone stark raving mad. I would go wreck his face, but evidently insane babbling while nude is not a punishable offence under dwarven law.
   Due to a recent spate of melancholy and dehydration, the living now number approximately 80.

16 Slate
   A group of migrants, also known as gullible chumps, have arrived at our gates, despite (or perhaps because of) the recent violence and death. In a fit of inspiration, I ordered the construction of a self-sufficient vault, where these healthy, happy, friendless new arrivals may ensure against the extinction of our outpost.
   Furthermore, one of the bonecarvers, who may or may not have been the perpetually and violently angry bonecarver, was siezed by unknown forces, which drove him into the workshop, where he began to loudly demand a strange variety of items, none of which we currently have. I do not forsee this ending well.

26 Slate
   A zombie roc, perhaps seeking to avenge its long-dead cousins, has appeared on the horizon. Wary of its rotting talons, I ordered the militia to confront it in open battle, where it immediately exploded into a cloud of foul-smelling feathers.

8 Felsite
   Life proceeds uneventfully. The recently-arrived elven caravan perhaps symbolizes our outpost's recovery. Most of our insane criminals are now dead, not exclusively by my hand. Content that things have stabilized somewhat, I now turn over the reins of reigning to another. Perhaps they will do something great, building off the strong foundation of Vandersleld, Wielder of the Beat-Stick.

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2011, 10:35:41 pm »

Those 40 survivors are probably all the recent immigrants.

Also, add me in slot 13, unless someone else wants to have a second (or first) turn before me.
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2011, 12:38:19 am »

Still alive!

Or did I die to the forgotten beast?

JohnnyDigs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2011, 01:53:01 pm »

Damn been busy the last two days. Anyways downloading the save now. Be back in 24 hours.

Vandersleld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2011, 01:55:13 pm »

48 hours later...

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2011, 04:57:24 pm »

lol.

It's still a major holiday in the U.S.

Personally, I'm all for giving people a break today.

JohnnyDigs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2011, 04:38:11 pm »

72 hours later.....ya sorry about that. I intended to take an extra day to do the things I wanted to do but then yesterday was a holiday and my wifi spots were closed, so it ended up taken 3 days  :-X

What do you guys think of doing 3 day turns instead?

THE SAVE: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4473
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Journal of Datan Tombodors:

21st of Felsite, Late Spring-
"Come to Slaughtergorges," my cousin Olin told me. "Don't mind the name, its meant to scare our enemies away. Here the booze and roasts are free and plentiful! The non stop parties keep the cold away!"

Well here I am Olin, in Slaughtergorges, just arrived this spring. I even organized a large group of migrants to come here, but you are dead and this place is a disaster. The halls and dining room are littered with rotting corpses and many of the old dwarves (the ones who have lived here the longest) have gone insane or are deeply depressed. What happened here?

23rd of Felsite-
Oh god, there are dead spirits haunting us. I saw one cross my path as I was going to the dining hall. It came out one wall and went straight through the other. This place is cursed! Avuz, mountainly father and lord of all gods, protect me from this madness!

1st of Hemtatite, Early Summer-
The current overseer, Vadersleld,is stepping down so she can focus on her duties as captain of the guard. Since I led the most recent migration wave, she has appointed me as the new overseer. She told me to build a jail if possible and then went off to beat the snuff out of all the dwarves spewing incoherent ramblings out of their mouths.

I ordered everyone to start hauling coffins and corpses to the graveyard. I don't know why everyone went mad in the first place, but the rotting miasma will drive the rest of us insane if we don't do something about it.

2nd of Hematite-
I've given titles to many of the dwarves in the fort, so its easier to remember everyones job here. Our three medical dwarves have been given the title "Dr" and have no other tasks besides attending to the many wounded that lie in the hospital.

I disbanded all the old squads and made six new smaller ones. Two axe squads, two spear squads, one hammer squad, and one markdwarves squad. Except for the markdwarves all squads consist of three members. Everyone in the militia has the been given the title "Defender". 

Four other dwarves have been given the title "Farmer". They are in charge of growing plants, cooking, brewing drinks, and only hauling food. Four more have been given the title "Smith". They are in charge of operating the furnaces and making weapons and armor.   

3rd of Hematite-
Sir AaronIII, the baron has died of thirst today. The bonecarver that was demanding shells at the craftsdwarf shop has gone insane. He has taken Sir AaronIII's place in the dining hall and is crawling around the floor, babbling. Why are we all going mad here?

12th of Hematite-
The original crypt is full. The miners are currently digging a new one a few floors above the old. More dwarves keep dropping dead or going insane. Its mostly the old residents.

The captain of the guard, Vandersleld, wants us to build a new hall away from the old to segregate us new migrants from all the old residents. She says all of the old ones were messed up dwarves in the first place and deserve to rot.  I don't believe her. My cousin Olin was a fine dwarf before he came to this place. He would never associate with insane dwarves. Something must have happened to them to cause them to behave like this. I need to figure out what that was unless the same fate befalls the rest of us.

25th of Hematite-
The burials continue. Stinking blizzard men keep interrupting our corpse gathering on the surface.

12th of Malachite, Mid Summer-
Some migrants arrived despite the danger. I sent the two axedwarf squads to meet them. We counted eight migrants in all. Also I think we have finished burying all the corpses in the new catacombs. Slaughtergorges' tombs hold about a hundred bodies...time to engrave slabs for all of them...

14th of Malachite-
Oh no, a beast from the caverns has come! It flew in straight through a hole in the roof and is now inside the fort!
There were about one to two dozen dogs in that area. They all charged and brought the giant crab down.
When the spearmaster Goden arrived on the scene, she found a writhing mess of crabmeat and dogs piled on top of it. She found the crabs head and puts it out of its misery with a kick to the skull. To think I was worried...

1st of Galena, Late Summer-
Things seem to have calmed down. We have enough beds for all one hundred of us but they're all crammed in the dormitory. I'm having the miners dig out some rooms.

Also I'm trying to find out what caused the great madness that led to all these deaths. Gatleos says after a goblin siege killed many dwarves, the rest went mad; as if possesed by demons. Friends started killing friends, mothers strangled their own children, and many animals were mutilated. For some reason, the madness affected mostly those that had been here the longest, like Sir AaronIII. Others like our mayor Urist Mcmean II, Gatleos, Varnish, and most of the soldiers seemed troubled but still sane...for now.

I fear that this entire fort is cursed. The dirt from which we grow our crops, the water we drink, and the air we breathe is tainted. The longer a dwarf stays here the more susceptible he becomes to madness. I must build a temple to Avuz, the mountain god. His presence will surely banish the taint of evil from our fort!

12th Galena-
Goblins were spotted on the surface. They were trying to ambush us but gave their positions away when they ran into some zombie goats. I ordered all dwarves to stay inside. The goblins killed a couple kittens caught outside and then charged at the fort. Half were caught in the cage traps the others were butchered by our axedwarves.

21st of Galena-
Several things happened all at once today. First another ambush by the goblins came but they too were butchered by the militia.
Then Smith Unib, acting as if possessed, claimed a magma forge. He is running around the fort causing a ruckus and gathering supplies. Vandersleld wants to beat his face in but since I don't see Unib doing anything violent yet, I hold our captain of the guard back.
Lastly, a very large human caravan has arrived.

1st of Limestone, Early Autumn-
Trading with the human caravan goes well. They brought plenty of wood and some cages which we'll need to put all these puppies and kittens in. I can't eat in the dining hall without finding hairs in my meal because of all these strays running about. Also, Unib has begun a mysterious construction.

6th of Limestone-
Unib has completed his project, an iron buckler. It gave the first couple of dwarves that had a look at it seizures. I had one of our militia captains take it away.

17th of Limestone-
I have decided to construct a temple to Avuz, the mountain god. The miners have begun digging, but they foolishly removed the ramps leading out of the construction area. Now to get out they must complete the temple before they die of dehydration. Good, maybe they'll dig faster.

9th of Sandstone, Mid Autumn-
Seven more migrants have arrived despite the danger. The human traders have left happy with all their new mugs.

12th of Sandstone-
I knew it was a good idea to make soap. Many dwarves are washing all the blood spatters off themselves at the well.

19th of Sandstone-
The temple to Avuz Crestedgem the Diamond Beak is complete. It took several days and luckily none of the miners died before that.

The temple itself is underground but the roof is in the shape of a mountain and held up by stone pillars below. In the middle of the temple lies the altar of sacrifice. Avuz only accepts the blood of one type of animal. One of these animals is currently on its way to be sacrificed at the temple.
May Avuz take the blood of the sacrificed and cleanse the fortress of its evil taint.

20th of Sandstone-
I can feel Avus' presence. All the ghostly haunts are now vanished. There are no more tantruming or miserable dwarves. Everyone is either content or happy now. But the tainted feeling is still there. Its like a feeling of impending doom. More must be done but I don't know how else to proceed. I will wait for Avuz to give me a sign.

25th of Sandstone-
I keep having the same dream. I see a humongous statue of a dwarf. It is mostly made from Marble except his beard is a magnificent golden color. It also looks as if it is wearing iron boots and silver gauntlets. Its eyes are made of Rose Gold. In one hand it holds a gigantic mug made of Rock Salt. On the other hand it holds a gigantic pick made of Adamantine.

The statue is standing at the gates of Slaughtergorges. It can be seen from miles away in the distance. The titans and beasts atop the Bloody Wall mountains, the goblins atop their tower, and the blizzard men from the Mucous Frost; all can see the statue and they become enraged at its glory.

They all gather into a vile force of darkness and descend on the statue. But as they get closer a storm of a blizzard falls on them. It is too thick to see what happens, but when it finally settles the entire glacier is covered in blood. The statue is still there, striking a triumphant pose. I must build it!

26th of Sandstone-
I held a meeting with our mayor, Urist Mcmean II, about building the gigantic statue. He seemed to like the idea when I showed him my designs.
But he cringed at each mention of the metals I wanted to use to make it. Finally, when I mentioned the gigantic adamantine pick he fell out of his chair! He said I was insane for even thinking of touching the adamantine. Urist believes the gate to hell is in that vein. He's been listening to too many superstitious stories if you ask me..

As for the other metals, Urist approved, but the problem is we don't have a large enough supply of them. I would have to wait years for the caravans to bring what I needed. In the meantime he said I was allowed to make the statue out of similar colored stones. When we get enough supplies of the metals we can coat the statue with them as if we were putting armor or clothing on it. A fine idea.

As I left his office to begin construction, Urist yelled to me again, not to think of even touching the adamantine. Superstitious dwarf. Has he no faith in our lord Avuz the god of all mountains?

2nd of Timber, Late Autumn-
I can't believe it. There's a ghost wandering the halls! It attacked Vandersleld's daughter and ripped her arm off!

5th of Timber-
Gatleos engraved a slab for the dwarf the ghost used to be. We took it to Avus' temple to be blessed then placed it in front of the coffin. The ghost was put to rest.

8th of Timber-
The goblins have returned! They brought one squad of hammermen, two squads of swordsmen, one squad of bowmen, and a bunch of trolls and blizzard men. I barely even started on the legs of the statue arfgh. Everyone get inside now!

Our entire militia consists of 20 dwarves. They outnumber us three to one. I ordered the lever to the gate pulled but no dwarf is willing to take the job with the lever so close to the gate itself. They're already at our doorstep!
One brave herbalist made a run for the lever and pulled it closing the gate. But not before one of the goblins took a shot at him and ripped open his tigh. He limped all the way down to the hospital.
Now only the long alternate entrance is open. It is narrow which should favor us. It also has murder holes which allows our markdwarves to shoot down on the invaders safely from above. Our militia will meet the goblins there.

11th of Timber-
The trolls ran into our cage traps and the goblins were reluctant to charge in. The blizzard men they brought were distracted by zombie yaks so the goblins are simply waiting for the Blizzard Men to catch up.

13th of Timber-
For some reason half the goblin horde decided it had done enough waiting and charged the cage traps. Many of their Bowmen were caught and the Swordsmen charged into to the fort.

The militia did battle with the goblins in the corridor and routed them. The markdwarves played no part as they could not see anything from the badly built murder holes up top. I ordered them to come down so they can take part in the next battle.

16th of Timber-
The blizzard men attacked this time. They too were routed but they managed to mangle a hammerdwarf before going down. The rest of the goblin horde continues to wait outside.

23rd of Timber-
The militia is tired of waiting so I order them to take back the gate. They charge out and slaughter the remaining horde. A few goblins tried to flee but the militia shows no mercy and hunts them down. The siege is over!

27th of Timber-
Id, a metal crafter has gone insane. He has taken over a magma smelter and works furiously while muttering strange words to himself.

1st of Moonstone, Winter-
It is winter on the calendar. Where was the dwarven caravan all of autumn?? It never came.

10th of Moonstone-
Vandersleld, our captain of the guard and high master beekeeper, has actually found some bees in this frozen wasteland! She will tend to the bees when not throwing criminals in jail.

12th of Moonstone-
I neglected to clean up the dead goblin corpses in the hallways. Now they're stinking up the entire fort ugh.

15th of Moonstone-
Id has finally completed his project.
A steel picollo with an image of that seizure inducing shield.

17th of Moonstone-
There are more ghosts wandering the halls! Tobul was just walking to the dining room when a ghostly haunt came at her from the shadows, ripped open her chest and tore out her heart! She tried to get to the hospital but died as soon as she reached it.
This place is still haunted! I must pray to Avuz to banish the dead spirits.

5th of Obsidian, Late Winter-
We found two more ghosts in the fort. These were of the more annoying howling type and wouldn't let us sleep until we performed the proper exorcism needed to banish them.

12th of Obsidian-
Another vile force of darkness has arrived! These bastards keep interrupting our building project. We barely finished the legs and part of the torso. Everyone get down from the statue and get inside...again!

13th of Obsidian-
Everyone is inside. They outnumber us three to one again, but we still have our cage traps which were recently reloaded. The main drawbridge has been closed so they will be forced to take the side tunnels where the militia will battle them again.

18th of Obsidian-
Half of the horde was captured in the cage traps and the other half simply waits outside the gate. I'm ordering another counterattack.

20th of Obsidian-
The siege is over. The goblins were slaughtered but our militia suffered several wounds and one death.

11th of Granite, Early Spring-
Work continues on the statue. The arms are a bit trickier than I first thought but I will find a way to build them. Also another dwarf was possessed and started collecting items. She piled several items on a clothiers workshop including several steel bars and gems. I noticed she had also gathered the rose gold blocks I had made for the eyes to the statue. I took them away from her but she continued her work regardless and made a masterful dress.

16th of Slate, Mid Spring-
Dammit why are children so slow at building constructions?? Everyone is working too slow. I think if I ration out he booze supply they will work faster! Yes they must work faster.

20th of Slate-
Yes more migrants have arrived! More labor! Get hauling stone! The statue must be completed!

3rd of Felsite, Late Spring-
Gatleos has finally finished engraving a slab (or two) of every single dwarf that has died in this fort. We noe have to figure out which coffins to put each slab in front of. That's going to be a real pain. I'll hold it off until the statue is complete.

19th of Felsite-
An elven caravan has arrived. Oh, I hope they don't get ambushed on the way here....

23rd of Felsite-
The bastard goblins killed all the elven merchants before we could drive them out. At least they brought us a ton of wood before being killed. I'll have everyone gather and haul it inside.

25th of Felsite-
Construction on the statue is coming along nicely. The head is almost done just two more floors to go. One for its forehead the other for his hair. The base of the rock salt mug is built. All we need to do is keep increasing the size of the walls on the mug. But it can only be done by one dwarf at a time so it will take a while. As for the adamantine pick, we don't have any blue colored stones...but we have adamantine though. I know its down by the magma sea, I can sense it...

28th of Felsite-
To hell with Urist Mcmean! We have plenty of adamantine. I'm ordering the miners to start digging.

1st of Hematite-
The heathens! Those traitors! The mayor Mcmean stopped the miners from digging. He brought them to the dining hall and asked them who had ordered them to mine near the adamantine vein. They all pointed at me! He stripped me of my title as overseer saying I was to mad to lead. Me insane? I'm trying to save us from going mad! The fort is cursed! Avuz wants us to build a adamantine pick! If we don't build it we will lose his favor.

I haven't even finished constructing the statue. Without that adamantine pick, the statue won't look as threatening as it should. It will look like....wait, what does it look like? I can't really tell what it looks like from the base of its feet. Maybe I should take a hike on the bloody walls and have a good look at it from those mountains. I hope I didn't mess it up...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 07:01:21 pm by JohnnyDigs »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9