Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Most common ore? Probably tetrahedrite.  (Read 6949 times)

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
Re: Most common ore? Probably tetrahedrite.
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 11:38:25 am »

I've not checked to see if you can make them, but silver shields would be great for bashing, no?
Indeed!
... but they only exist as artifacts.  ::)
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2011, 11:52:53 am »

SO MUCH GALENA.
Lead is only good for chains and minor crafts. Silver, for war hammers and maces.
TOO MUCH GODDAMN LEAD. Too much even for lead goblets and barrels for export. The mountainhome may start suspecting something. And the humans. And the elves.
Lead large pots and lead barrels are the way to go, my friend. :)
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 11:54:38 am »

Tetrahedrite is a great ore. It has a lot of uses. If you get flux and iron as well on same map though your very lucky.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2011, 12:01:50 pm »

SO MUCH GALENA.
Lead is only good for chains and minor crafts. Silver, for war hammers and maces.
TOO MUCH GODDAMN LEAD. Too much even for lead goblets and barrels for export. The mountainhome may start suspecting something. And the humans. And the elves.
Seeing how much of a bad luck I have with finding magma, making wooden barrels is a bit more straightforward. However, I've made lead large pots and barrels regularly already. Oh, and lead bins, though they are subject to the same criticisms.  :)
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2011, 12:05:52 pm »

Gaaaaalena.

Lead bins are the most commonly forged item in my fortress.  :P
Seconded.
SO MUCH GALENA.

If you mod in lead bolts, they'd make excellent training ammo. They hardly ever scratch anything vaguely armoured.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2011, 12:19:32 pm »

Well it is the only ore found in all stone layers, so no surprise.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2011, 12:41:04 pm »

SO MUCH GALENA.
Seeing how much of a bad luck I have with finding magma, making wooden barrels is a bit more straightforward. However, I've made lead large pots and barrels regularly already. Oh, and lead bins, though they are subject to the same criticisms.  :)
Rock pots obsolete wooden barrels. Except when you want to build a dyer's shop.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2011, 12:48:20 pm »

Rock pots obsolete wooden barrels. Except when you want to build a dyer's shop.
Don't forget that you still need barrels for Dwarves Syrup (to make roasts from)
Soaplent green is goblins!

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2011, 01:06:07 pm »

Tetrahedrite, galena, and native gold seem to be the top 3 ores that I run into.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2011, 02:27:52 pm »

I've not checked to see if you can make them, but silver shields would be great for bashing, no?

They would be if they existed.

Silver crossbows are great, but can only come from human trading and generally do not come in good quality levels. Copper ones, however...

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2011, 02:32:15 pm »

Gaaaaalena.

Seconded.
SO MUCH GALENA.
Galena: I don't even smelt the stuff - it goes from ore straight to electrum bars. Frikkin' galena, man, makin' me have thousands of bars of electrum just from mining out a few z-levels.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2011, 02:34:48 pm »

I believe I have yet to embark on a map that didn't have tetrahedrite, except when I turned mineral scarcity up all the way, and ended up embarking in an area with NO METAL AT ALL. Just ten layers of limestone with a few moss opals scattered around.

My current embark has a decent amount of tetrahedrite, but more than that, sphalerite. It's everywhere! I've actually started dumping it to make room in my stone stockpiles for magnetite and limonite (making a couple of steel statues, need like 1000 steel bars total, haven't actually counted my blueprints). I haven't made any wood bins; all my wood now turns into either charcoal for steel or pearlash for clear glass. All my bins are either zinc or lead.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2011, 02:36:33 pm »

My current 31.25 fort has 20k Galena (lead, 0.5 silver), 17k Garniterite (nickel, magma safe), 7k copper, 5.5k tetrahedrite (copper, 0.2 silver), 2k funobtanium  8) tough, only 50 processed so far due to lack of good strand extractors, 1.6k silver, 1k hematite, some gold and aluminum. Flux, no coal, and magma. So tertahedrite is frequent, but not necessary the most frequent.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2011, 02:42:37 pm »

Gaaaaalena.

Seconded.
SO MUCH GALENA.
One of my most recent forts had no metal ores other than galena (possibly some useless "rare" ores as well, but nothing else weaponable).
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

Byttingen

• Bay Watcher
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2011, 02:44:20 pm »

I'd have to agree with tetrahedrite. Since switching over from an older version with tons and tons of metal everywhere, I've only ever really found tetrahedrite for my smiths. Not that I'm complaining; fewer veins of metal is a positive change imo. Makes me consider what I'm doing before I do it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3