Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1196626 times)

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1590 on: July 22, 2011, 04:06:37 pm »

Are we going to have ghost towns/ruins?
I am a Goober.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #1591 on: July 22, 2011, 05:23:00 pm »

Are we going to have ghost towns/ruins?

Famines are going to leave buildings empty and Toady mentioned buildings with missing roofs and other signs of ruination (not caused by bugs) I dont know for sure if entire towns are going to be ruined but it seems to be possible because of deaths caused by famines/attacks. There are going to be haunted buildings too.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: July 22, 2011, 06:09:58 pm »

Woah, when did this happen?

...his computer desk, a framed picture of his part Manx, part Maine Coon cat, Scamps...

Well, that explains a lot. Maine Coons = giant, insane. Manx = insane, insane.
Huh another interview, this one goes into quite a bit of detai-  Holy crap is that the New York frikkin Times!?  Wow.  I don't think you can get much bigger than that.  Mentions DF being Put into the Museum of Modern Art too.  Wow.  Congrats, I think you guys finally made it.

I might have to find a way to get a copy of that issue and frame the page.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 06:11:35 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: July 22, 2011, 07:53:27 pm »

And this solves the question if games can be Art. If atleast DF wouldnt be art in some way why would the renown Museum of Modern exhibit it?

4 quick questions:

Will we be able to see other adventurers in the sewers fighting for theyr lives/looting stuff?
Will the maps have say some small markers for important people/the places where important people hang out normaly?
Can a (nonplayer) adventurer be tasked to kill a werebeast if he did himself the killings (thus if he is said werebeast)?
Would you notice if someone did some guerilla gardening around your house?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 08:11:27 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: July 22, 2011, 07:57:49 pm »

If atleast DF wouldnt be art in some way why would the renown Museum of Modern exhibit it?

I don't know...

I mean I believe videogames are art (mind you not all videogames are art) but I wouldn't use the museum of modern art as a very good judge unless you litterally believe that EVERYTHING is high art

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: July 22, 2011, 08:07:51 pm »

Well it's part of a larger exhibit too, not by itself.   And remember that Toady doesn't really consider DF to be art itself.   And he doesn't really seem to like the word "Art" in general, since it has too varied a meaning among different people to be a useful word in a discussion about it. (Or at least that's the jist I got about toady's response to such things in the past)

But DF being there does indicate a significant influence on the world of some kind.  It can't be easy to get a spot inside a major museum like that.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: July 22, 2011, 08:19:22 pm »

Presumably that is because making the fortress not be self sufficient without the ability to survive from Caravans would be counter productive.

Losing is fun, no?

After the Big Rock Candy Wasteland that was 40d, I wouldn't mind a few releases where the resource mechanics prevented ever achieving self-sufficiency, and all fortresses were doomed.

Because all fortresses are doomed. Either the fortress falls, or you eventually get bored with it and stop playing. It's not necessarily bad for the mechanics to ensure that all fortresses fall before they get boring.

But the point is, we haven't reached 1.0 yet. We're still in alpha testing. Until Toady has everything confirmed as working the way he wants it to, I doubt we're going to see a game mode with all the intended difficulty.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: July 22, 2011, 08:23:05 pm »

df isn't art, it's an art-creator

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: July 22, 2011, 10:49:49 pm »

I'm surprised that constructed walls cannot be engraved. Countless ancient civ's could clearly build stone walls, smooth them(even to the point where a wall looked like a singular peice of stone) and set engravers to work on decorating the surface. I also like an above suggestion that engraved walls should also be able to be taken back to a smoothed surface for engraving something else.

Building natural rock and hiding the area behind it, apart from satifying the OCD inflicted among us, seems like an odd proposal to me. How does one build natural rock formations(apart from pouring magma and water in there) and then forget what was behind it?

"The Hobbit" pointed out that dwarves could even make a door that appeared to be a natural wall until it was opened. And it may not be possible for any other race, but Dwarves being the masters of stone they are could probably do such a feat even in dwarf fortress. Granted though the walls should still appear as constructed walls to the dwarves that built it and therefore should appear as "Disguised Stone Wall" when looked at in fortress mode. As for hiding the stuff behind it, that is more of a aesthetic thing and it would be nice to make sure that goblins don't ruin the look of your fort for the people who care.

I like the idea of being able to have the dwarves disguise constructed walls and floors (and possibly doors and hatches) to look natural. And such features would be cool to have in Adventure Mode, imagine being in a dwarven fortress and walking past a room because the door looks like the rest of the walls (note: this could also maybe be used in fortress mode against sieges to make sure certain rooms remain hidden from invaders) then eventually you notice the wall isn't a wall at all. Added to this the disguised objects can have quality levels to determine how well they are hidden (a masterfully disguised door could be practically unnoticeable, where a decent disguised door could be easy to notice).

Granted, I think there is little chance anything like this would happen soon, but I wanted to point out there could be a use for disguised stuff other than aesthetics.

We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: July 22, 2011, 11:46:35 pm »

Hmmm I think I have a question but I am not sure I can tell it right.

Toady right now the world only wobbles it mostly stays in place with very little actually affecting the balance as a whole, especially since by the very fabric of a game no one can really make large strides, but nothing really shifts, changes, rises, falls, put at risk, or really created even with everything your putting in now. What do you think needs to be in place before that kind of narrative can occur?

I guess I am not being fair.

Hmmm... I should probably scan that if it is good enough as a Toady Talks question... Though my gut says "It begs a discussion, thus it is anathema to Fortress Talks".

Also yes I know I based that off my semi-rant on the suggestion forum.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 11:55:01 pm by Neonivek »

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: July 22, 2011, 11:57:03 pm »

Richard Garfield, who created the hit card game Magic: The Gathering, once attended a Dwarf Fortress fan meet in Seattle to introduce himself to Tarn. “I told him there’s nothing out there quite like it,” Garfield recalled. He suggested ways of broadening the game’s appeal, but “that stuff didn’t matter to Tarn. The charm of it is that he’s making exactly the game he wants to make.”

i didn't knew that... how awesome

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: July 23, 2011, 01:17:17 am »

Heh, while its alot easier to recognize just how utterly awesome Toady and ThreeToe are when you join the DF community, its alot harder to find out just how powerful and famous DF is from this perspective. A continous stream of companies and developers are impressed by just how absurdly complex and awesome DF is. When you realize you regulary communicate with a guy who impresses people like Richard Garfield who made the world's most popular and played CCG, playing the game he's been making for several years and is basicaly his life's work and helping it blossom, well, its quite an experience.

But then this feeling is thrown aside by the fact the next release is going to give you massive catacombs, markets, complex cities and necromancy to play with, and start devising ways to weaponize dwarven zombies against elven merchants and their mules. Because you're a Dwarf Fortress player.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: July 23, 2011, 01:47:15 pm »

Anyone else as interested in how insane the next lets plays are going to be when dealing with this next version? It could become VERY messy...

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: July 23, 2011, 07:48:17 pm »

Anyone else as interested in how insane the next lets plays are going to be when dealing with this next version? It could become VERY messy...

Is there even that much new stuff for Fortress Mode yet? We have occasional attacks by necromancers and werebeasts, and ... ? Basic tracking of goods and resources between sites?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: July 23, 2011, 10:41:23 pm »

We're also getting werewolf and vampire dwarves, I believe. And one of the problems with that is if all your dwarves get infected, you lose.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 298