Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Sometimes I think I'm the only one who...  (Read 3750 times)

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
Re: Sometimes I think I'm the only one who...
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2011, 03:34:26 am »

I don't view myself as very smart, especially in comparison to the others here. I'm also not very skilled in math, nor would I say that I have a deep affection for it, so I'm sometimes surprised by how giddy I get at some of the stuff.

Calculus pretty much blows my mind, especially the idea of dividing something into an infinite amount of pieces, or series, or limits. I'm not very good at it, and I only know the very very basics of it all, but I love the idea. Things like center of mass expressed via integrals makes my face melt because it's like a completely new view on what's really happening on something I thought I understood.

Any simple visual diagrams proving the Pythagorean Theorem makes me feel funny.

When I first learned about Euler's Identity, I flipped out.

Learning about the relationship between Maxwell's equations and the speed of light blew my mind too.

I'm sometimes bummed out when people don't react as much as I'd like about the stuff, but I'm a poor describer.

Otherwise, some other things:

Crazy drumming makes me hop around in my seat like a child. Maybe "crazy drumming" isn't the right wording, but just any drumming I enjoy. I really get into it. I broke the armrest on my car because I was smashing on it, copying the drum fill that leads into the chorus of Toto's Africa. But I think my alienation about this stems more from the widely differing tastes in my friends' and my music, so there's rarely ever a time where I'll show my friends some fun drumming and they go, "Wow! Yeah, that was awesome!"

I'm also a pacer-thinker. People often tell me that I should sit, but I always explain that I have to walk.

I get my kicks naming my hard drive partitions after fictional paradises. Also, when simulating network topographies, I like to name the devices in a manner so that it resembles a family tree of some famous people or some fictional character.  Everyone else is unamused.

I like rain and distant thunder sounds. I live at a pretty high elevation, so drainage isn't much of a worry for me. RainyMood isn't the same. It also helps I'm more of an indoor person anyway, so rain gives me a wonderful excuse to do what I normally do.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2011, 06:25:02 am »

Sometimes... sometimes I get the feeling I am the only person in the world who likes making lightning waves with their blankets when they are bored at night. Static spark cascades on dry winter nights are one of my life's best little pleasures, it it upsets me that I've never met anyone who appreciates it.

Used to do that as a kid. Helpled that I had knitted woolen blankets and hairy legs.

One of my little idiosyncracies is a tendency to pace when I'm on the phone for a long time. I used to walk in circles around the kitchen table when on the phone, because it was just long enough for the cord to reach from the wall (we had a wall-mounted rotary phone in the kitchen). Nowadays, I'll just walk back and forth down the hallway while talking on the cell.

I suppose a related thing is that I hate telephones. Abhor them. I would rather drive 20 minutes and ask someone a question in person than call them on the phone and ask. Part of it is that I'm just never comfortable with interpersonal communication in general, but doubly so when it's just voice for some reason. In my ideal world, all communication would take place through email/chat and I'd never actually have to interact with another living human unless I chose to do so. It's somewhat different where friends are involved, but even then I dislike long phone conversations.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2011, 06:29:53 am »

I walk around a lot.  I'll get up to throw a drink away when there's still like a quarter of it left just so I can walk around.  I'll finish the drink in the kitchen and then throw it away.

Another weird thing I do that I've never heard of anyone else doing:  I get these chains of self-propagating thoughts/memories.  I'll think of something.  Later, I'll remember thinking of that thing, and as such think of that thing.  Even later, I'll remember remembering thinking of that thing.  So on, so forth, for two weeks or so until this chain has six or seven links.  Past that I stop adding new links and eventually I'll forget it altogether.
Shoes...

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2011, 07:05:30 am »

I have a tendency to pace around when contemplating. A lot. My family frequently becomes quite annoyed because of this.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2011, 07:06:26 am »

I think I'm the only one around who appreciates water the way I do. I've got a delicate taste for water, and while there's something to be said for the tangy taste of mineral water, there's nothing like the neutral taste of water that's been standing for a few hours to take out the chlorine. At one point I kept multiple glasses of water out so I could drink them all in succession, but it raised a lot of comments, so I gave up on that. I still leave water standing for a while at times.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2011, 07:40:17 am »

I think I'm the only one around who appreciates water the way I do. I've got a delicate taste for water, and while there's something to be said for the tangy taste of mineral water, there's nothing like the neutral taste of water that's been standing for a few hours to take out the chlorine. At one point I kept multiple glasses of water out so I could drink them all in succession, but it raised a lot of comments, so I gave up on that. I still leave water standing for a while at times.
Trust me, you're not.

I love water.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2011, 07:58:20 am »

I should probably love water more, but I take it for granted, thanks to my super-awesome Melbourne tapwater. I have no idea how anyone sells bottled water around here, it's ridiculous.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2011, 08:00:50 am »

I should probably love water more, but I take it for granted, thanks to my super-awesome Melbourne tapwater.

Huh. I guess you like the taste of orphan tears. [/really,reallybadjokethatstartedinanotherthread]
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2011, 08:39:54 am »

Sometimes... sometimes I get the feeling I am the only person in the world who likes making lightning waves with their blankets when they are bored at night. Static spark cascades on dry winter nights are one of my life's best little pleasures, it it upsets me that I've never met anyone who appreciates it.

What?

You can do this?!

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2011, 08:41:48 am »

Lightning waves with blankets!?

I LOVE THAT SHIT!

I do it when I'm bored.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2011, 08:48:53 am »

Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm a freak, a rebel, a hooligan. I'm going against the grain, I'm fighting the system, I'm defiant to authority. How do I do all these things?

I eat while standing!

I just find it way more comfortable to stand next to my table while eating off my plate.

"Dude, Josh, why you standing? Sit down."

"MY stomach gets upset if I eat sitting down thankyouverymuch!"

And while that's actually a half-truth, I must come to terms that I'm the only one that indulges in this worldly pleasure.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2011, 09:10:31 am »

No one seems to like long periods of total silence but me. I've gone days without speaking a single word, usually without intent to do so, but it seems like everyone else goes stir-crazy if they have to sit in silence for ten minutes, as if they have to constantly hear the sound of their own voice.

You're not alone. Especially frustrating if you're trying to read.

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2011, 12:41:41 pm »

Nobody else seems to appreciate Porcupine Tree to the level they deserve. The ones who do (who I only meet at concerts) all seem to be weirdos. The same is true of Sacred Harp music; the only people I meet who love it as much or more than I do are definitely weirdos, with very few exceptions.
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2011, 12:55:24 pm »

I have a friend who really likes porcupine tree, and he's not much of a weirdo.

The only thing I use silverware to eat is ice cream.  Nothing else I eat requires silverware.  Despite this, my hands are always hella clean.
Shoes...

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2011, 01:35:45 pm »

Like many people here, I too walk around a lot. Especially in the evenings/nights I walk back and forth in my room thinking something. When I was younger, I used also run back and forth in my room and think  :)

EDIT: And I also walk around these small circles pretty much everywhere I am standing.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 01:38:54 pm by anzki4 »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5