Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Sometimes I think I'm the only one who...  (Read 3745 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sometimes I think I'm the only one who...
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2011, 01:37:34 pm »

Does better on exams if I've slept half as much as I usually do and didn't eat at all.

I don't know why.  I don't even do it intentionally.  But it seems to work.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2011, 02:02:31 pm »

Yay!  :D Take it that it went well then?

I once did that during a Hell Week when I'd been up for 3 days straight working on 3 large papers simultaneously. Was so sleep-deprived that I went to make coffee, looked for a sugar packet and grabbed a soy sauce packet instead. My brain said, "Huh...they put the sugar and the coffee together in the same packet. That's clever." The shock of realizing my mistake helped wake me up a bit more, and I wound up drinking it anyways. Finished that paper, got an early breakfast, then went to my final in Late Roman History. Wrote an excruciatingly long essay on the role of the limatanei (border guards) in the fall of the Empire which filled up three blue books, and drowsed off at least twice while writing. I normally never double-check my work at the end, because I'm constantly error-checking as I write. In this instance, I thought it prudent given my condition. I was rather appalled to find that at some point I had begun spelling "Roman" as "Roamin".   :-[

That semester wound up being my best GPA  :D

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2011, 02:07:46 pm »

I have a friend who really likes porcupine tree, and he's not much of a weirdo.

Yeah, but we're posting on an internet forum about an ASCII game about dwarves where layers of fat and flesh are modelled. "Not much of a weirdo" is kinda relative.
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2011, 02:09:13 pm »

Yay!  :D Take it that it went well then?

Yeah, pretty well.  As I've said in a couple other threads, not perfectly, but well enough--especially because everyone was confused on a certain part of the test and I am one hell of a lot better at memorizing dates and names than most math students.

So my memory basically saved me on some parts, while my effort saved me on others.

All in all, with the curve, I suspect I'll get a very good grade in the course.

As for the exam tomorrow... well, everyone is going to fail, so I'm not really worried >_>
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2011, 02:12:49 pm »

Want to keep me occupied for a while? Hand me a bunch of spectra (any type, though it helps if I've seen them before) and ask me to match them to the right substances. For some reason I seem to be one of the few people who likes fiddling around with them...

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2011, 02:15:57 pm »

Sometimes I think I'm the only member of my age group (18, 19, 20) that appreciates U2. Of course, I'm wrong, my sisters both appreciate them, too, but not to the same extent.

When i'm thinking, I tend to breathe VERY loud, and I don't notice until my younger sister stars mocking me even louder.

I also have a hard time enjoying console games, apart from the wii, because I can't get the hang of the controllers. that may, of course, be because I never had any such console 'till I was 17.

I also feel like I'm the only one i know who enjoys the subtle art and beauty of creating languages and writing systems.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2011, 02:23:50 pm »

I also feel like I'm the only one i know who enjoys the subtle art and beauty of creating languages and writing systems.

I have just lately began to make up my own writing systems, in boring classes, by simply making alphabet using some random symbols.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2011, 02:30:05 pm »

Sometimes I think I'm the only one who enjoys reading. I realise this isn't the case but it is amongst a fair few people I am forced to associate with. They look at me as if I'm a freak for spending my time reading rather than watching TV.

Nobody else appreciates seasoned verbal debate anymore. I can hardly find anybody who won't cry when they have to discuss something with me.
This too.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 02:32:40 pm by Vattic »
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2011, 02:31:52 pm »

Somebody tried to do a conlang thread in Creative Projects, but it got derailed by somebody who didn't understand the point and it died.  :(

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2011, 02:39:20 pm »

at some point I had begun spelling "Roman" as "Roamin".   :-[
And limitanei as limatanei?

Nazi Grammaticus Opugnamur.

Re: the thread
Myself, I like to pretend that I know stuff.
On a second thought, this is hardly unique.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2011, 06:16:11 pm »

I have lucid dreams fairly often. They can be pretty bizarre too.
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2011, 07:28:06 pm »

I often suspect that I'm the only person in the world who thinks (of myself, i.e. this person Vector) that

a. I am not very smart or talented
b. I am lazy
c. I am not very nice
d. I am going nowhere in life

And then I start suspecting that they don't believe it, either, and are just performing niceness in order to be kind and optimize personal goodness-ratings.

Then I hear the voice of Rosewood in my head, saying: "Vector, that's irrational and weird.  People aren't that interested in performing niceness, when they aren't getting anything out of it."

And then we argue for a while... and in the end, I just go with the "people are being as honest as they can be based on what I've shown them," solution.  It seems at least partially equitable.

*sigh*

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2011, 08:14:41 pm »

We get many things that are intangible from being nice.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2011, 08:30:28 pm »

I too am a silence appreciator. I can't be silent, since school, though.

Also, I KNOW I'm the only one in my class who has as good of a grasp on math as I do. Were Vector magically brought back to my grade, she'd probably understand it better than me, but meh. It feels weird to have to be the one to help the ones who have trouble getting it get it.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2011, 08:50:06 pm »

Were Vector magically brought back to my grade, she'd probably understand it better than me, but meh.

This Vector, yes, but this Vector has been hard won from the claws of indolence and really, really boring high school math teachers.

So be pleased with your success =)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5