Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: Breakfastcudgels (a game of random death)  (Read 24301 times)

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breakfastcudgels (a game of random death)
« Reply #90 on: June 20, 2011, 11:51:50 pm »

1 Moonstone
Winter is upon us, so it is time to please Igoth with a new sacrifice.  The assumption chamber has been cleaned and completed.  The chamber will flood with water, then be coated with magma, causing the sacrifice to immediately become one with the mountain in front of a crowd of worshipers.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

15 Moonstone
I bowed down in front of the sacred lever and prayed to Igoth.  Like billybobfred, she connected me to the elemental plane of random numbers, and the number forty was burned into my mind.

16 Moonstone
Yet another artifact

18 Moonstone
I located the great book of units in the bookkeeper's office, where the name of every large creature at Breakfastcudgels is written down.  I counted forty names from the top.  Our sacrifice is to be our duchess, Erush Tuloncatten.

23 Moonstone
I ordered Erush to pull the sacred lever, locked the door, and invited the dwarves down to observe.

From here on out, the journal is almost illegible.  It appears that the chamber failed three times: first due to water pressure not moving through stairs, then by the dutchess finding a way to swim out through the water feed, and then through the duchess finding a second flaw in the feed.  After the third attempt, the machine was broken beyond repair.  It was clear that Igoth had rejected Duchess Tuloncatten.  It appears that the overseer had a nervous breakdown over the event, perhaps due to the curse of Igoth, or perhaps due to his own personal failure.  Either way, he would have to step down from his position.

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 21, 2011, 12:08:39 am »

Am I dead?!

Nope.  You're pretty grizzled though.

Did those chains get made yet?

I think that they have been made but not yet built

So is it four days until my turn then?  ::)

It's your turn.

Map: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-10521-breakfastcudgels

Save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4546

The chamber failed, as most batman-esque over-elaborate deathtraps are wont to do.  I began building a wall around the fortress to help prevent goblin attacks.  I initially used alunite for the walls and cinnibar for the towers, but I eventually realized that any self-respecting doom fortress is made of ice and obsidian.

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 21, 2011, 04:48:35 am »

Nice downloading now  :D also on an unrelated note here's a photoshop I did for some random thread
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

futility

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2011, 04:49:58 am »

We now have a randomness to aspire to.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 21, 2011, 08:30:52 am »

Do we need more overseers?

I can take another turn. I like this fort.

Did those chains get made yet?

I think that they have been made but not yet built
All right.

Ashton, I left [N]otes near my prison-under-construction, can you finish it?
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

futility

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 21, 2011, 09:54:46 am »

Yeah it may come to doubling up on the years if nobody new signs up.

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 21, 2011, 10:07:41 am »

Ashton, I left [N]otes near my prison-under-construction, can you finish it?

I was wondering what the random empty rooms were for  - I might change "Prisoners receive raw plump helmets and plain dwavern wine" too "Prisoners receive raw plump helmets and water, also if a pressure plate gets randomly triggerd somewhere they might fall 1-2 Z-levels"  :D :P Aww dammit some of the jail overlaps the dining hall ah shucks, I'll just make a few "unlucky prison cells" then
EDIT: also sign me up again
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 05:43:29 pm by ashton1993 »
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

Elderont

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 21, 2011, 10:22:17 am »

- Here fellows, gather around. I’m about to tell you a story from the first years of Breakfastcudgels. Much you will learn from the origins of our good luck. – So said the Militia Commander.

At first, very few came to listen. But as he kept on telling his tale, the dwarves started to pay attention.

It was a cold winter night. I was outside, looking at the land. You see, being outside at that time wasn’t very safe, as we were under the rule of dhokarena52, the first overseer, and the Gate House was not built yet. Still, there I was, looking at the moon and its reflex on the ice of a nearby pool of water.

I walked in circles for a bit, so my toes wouldn’t freeze. Without realizing, I was wondering in a snow covered thin ice layer. My heart jumped as I heard a “crack”. I was going to either drown or turn into a neat ice cube. Probably both.

Most of you would guess the gods spoke to me and let me live so I could spread their glory in our fort. That's not true, I didn't believe in that crap. I ran and jumped to safe ground as the ice layer became the small lake it once was. I had luck.

And so spring came and I was appointed overseer. I built some stuff, dig some more and the year went by. Yet, I felt something was missing. I looked at the lake it almost killed me and knew it had to play a grand part in our fortress. As I was bound by law to sacrifice someone, I realized the gods indeed told me how they should die. They should perish by the cold water hand that couldn’t close its fist upon my chest.

I ordered the lake walled and a ceiling built. When the ice was thick enough, Minkot and Goden were put inside and I myself sealed them off by placing the last brick. So far, our tradition stands, and we are victorious in every siege! Our soldiers die as heroes! And the beasts who try to overcome us perish by the strike of our blessed axes!

I used not to believe in the gods, but now I SEE THEM!

I SEE THEM IN EVERY BLOODY ONE OF YOU!

YOU CARRY THEIR BLESSINGS!

DWARFS OF BREAKFASTCUDGELS, STRIKE THE EARTH!

AND STRIKE IT HARD!

It was a night of feast. And a promise for glory.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 10:32:35 am by Elderont »

Conan

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm running out of stone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 21, 2011, 10:30:33 am »

I SEE THEM IN EVERY BLOOD ONE OF YOU!
I love how dwarven grammar works.

Elderont

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 21, 2011, 10:33:48 am »

Ooops!

Btw, sign me up for turn 10.

Conan

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm running out of stone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 21, 2011, 01:15:03 pm »

Also sign me up. I need some experience at killing dorfs. So far, every dorf death I've had are due to a pathing error or an ambush.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 21, 2011, 02:44:37 pm »

Also sign me up. I need some experience at killing dorfs. So far, every dorf death I've had are due to a pathing error or an ambush.

Didn't you freeze one in an aquifier too?  ;D
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 21, 2011, 03:34:10 pm »

I'm in! How big is the embark? 4x4 embark, my desktop should be able to handle that.
DF without DT isn't DF, it's a keyboard-based exercise in masochism.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 21, 2011, 03:51:40 pm »

Sign me up for overseer duty as well, but can someone update the list?
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

futility

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 21, 2011, 04:11:36 pm »

Updated!  I put the new ppl in line first and added the second rounds afterward.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13