Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would you most like to see next from LFR?

More tech tree!
- 36 (26.1%)
More ritual tree!
- 8 (5.8%)
More lore!
- 12 (8.7%)
More mythical weapons/armor!
- 22 (15.9%)
Plagues!
- 28 (20.3%)
More secrets!
- 21 (15.2%)
More mechanical constructs!
- 11 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 240

Author Topic: *=*=* Legends of Forlorn Realms (LFR 2012) v0.21a *=*=* [DF 0.34.11]  (Read 397512 times)

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
Re: *=*=*=* Legends of Forlorn Realms - an expansion mod *=*=*=* v0.13b
« Reply #480 on: July 26, 2011, 12:45:23 am »

Plants? Plants for the blood god? Blasphemy! Elf worshipping heretic! Lynch him!

Look at whose talking, you should be lynched! Your talking about another person giving plants to the blood god! Everyone knows plants have blood in them, and you still want to lynch him?!
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: July 26, 2011, 12:50:44 am »

The "shelter" rituals are to a different subset of gods.  Armok's influence will likely fall under "power," which will become more specialized as the tree progresses.  There are going to be substantial risks to building a temple directly dedicated to an old god (the new gods tend not to be very happy about that), but also substantial rewards.  The altar has minimal consequences because it is pantheistic - in later tiers, this will not always be the case.

A temple to one power will invoke the blessings of that power or the wrath of others.  Sacrificing a great deal to Visthel will incur her blessings, but also the jealousy of the other gods.  Expect to see the retribution and influences of gods not limited to their respective temples and rituals.  If a priest of Visthel comes running to the hospital, bleeding from every orifice, you can be sure that Armok had a hand in it.  Oops, I leaked a name.  Silly me.

I have some very FUN plans for this in tier two and beyond that I am not currently willing to reveal.  Unfortunately, many of them - both positive and negative - involve the currently unreleased features of the next version of DF, so I can't do much more than framework at this point.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 12:59:18 am by narhiril »

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: July 26, 2011, 01:41:09 am »

Plants? Plants for the blood god? Blasphemy! Elf worshipping heretic! Lynch him!

Look at whose talking, you should be lynched! Your talking about another person giving plants to the blood god! Everyone knows plants have blood in them, and you still want to lynch him?!

The common definition of blood is usually not the life fluids found within plants, good sir.

Anyway, is it even possible to make reactions that take edible meats (and organs), and nothing else?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 02:50:58 am by Pan »

Carn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: July 26, 2011, 02:30:51 am »

Nar, everything you've said about the ritual tech tree sounds fantastic. That is all.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: July 26, 2011, 09:18:16 am »

Just had a voidwalker siege show up with a bunch of war spec ops pigeons. Might want to fix that.

Also, I melted some masterful ethereal spheres I got from a Savant alchemist. He tantrumed, punched a brewer, and got lashed to death by the voidshard whip wielding fortress guard.

Has anyone gotten hadrine yet? I've gotten a few woven meshes, enough for 11 pieces of hadrine equipment. Should I make helmets or chestplates?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 09:31:23 am by Pan »

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: July 26, 2011, 11:28:52 am »

Just had a voidwalker siege show up with a bunch of war spec ops pigeons. Might want to fix that.

Also, I melted some masterful ethereal spheres I got from a Savant alchemist. He tantrumed, punched a brewer, and got lashed to death by the voidshard whip wielding fortress guard.

Has anyone gotten hadrine yet? I've gotten a few woven meshes, enough for 11 pieces of hadrine equipment. Should I make helmets or chestplates?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Voidwalkers are Gary Motherfucking Oak.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: July 26, 2011, 12:31:54 pm »

In response to the image, the voidwalkers weren't exactly riding them. The pigeons just sat at the edge of the map when I opened the ballista salvo corridor to let the voidwalkers in. It was a slaughter, and I only had a broken swordsdwarf nose to show for it.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: July 26, 2011, 02:34:16 pm »

In response to the image, the voidwalkers weren't exactly riding them. The pigeons just sat at the edge of the map when I opened the ballista salvo corridor to let the voidwalkers in. It was a slaughter, and I only had a broken swordsdwarf nose to show for it.

How I can't wait for moddable siege engines... (WAY down the road).

Anyways, that pigeon thing is a side effect of giving them a trainable token (since they show up in very common biomes).  Consider yourself lucky they didn't bring an animal that can actually kill you.  Think of it as a (failed) test of the voidwalkers' new "homing pigeon defense array."  Not all technologies work out in the end.

This problem seems to originate from the melt reaction (which is hardcoded).  For some reason, melt reactions cause negative thoughts in the creators, but custom reactions do not - this was a major concern when I was testing slabs of accreditation, which turned out, thankfully, to be unfounded.  I will probably introduce a special reaction to the smelter to specifically consume ethereal spheres and produce ethereal bars - this should give the same result without the tantrum effect since the object is "used" rather than "destroyed" by the internal definitions.  This is something I can easily tack on to the next version.

And if your military is wearing anything less than d-steel, make helms.  Helms save more lives.  If you've got other high quality metals, though, chest plates have some excellent coverage.  Putting both together is like creating a little mountain of metal that is only truly vulnerable at its extremities. 

Also, in case you were wondering, it's impossible for me to create usable hadrine gloves due to the way DF handles left/right glove assignments (this cannot be replicated in a custom reaction right now).  I could theoretically create boots and greaves, but they might come much later.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 02:39:29 pm by narhiril »

Carn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: July 26, 2011, 04:40:59 pm »

Just wondering if anyone else has been playing the second witcher game, and gotten to the siege of the dwarf fortress....

Human defender: "The enemy will overwhelm us!"

Dwarf: "Bloody hell they will, this is a DWARVEN fortress!"

It's so beautiful. I shed a tear.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: July 26, 2011, 04:44:06 pm »

Spec ops pigeons.  No less ridiculous than spec ops clowns.

And @ Carn, no, unfortunately, but Assassins of Kings is one of the things I have been meaning to buy for a while (I fell in love with the first one when it came out).  That alone sounds like reason enough to buy it.

In other news, I am working on "enhanced" material templates for legendary creatures.  So far, I've only finished the bone, but it's working just fine - material properties and values seem to be working fine.  Also, I finally got around to annihilating that minor bug with "world bearer's shell" being listed in the stones menu.  Land movers should now be an order of magnitude more durable, and most large creatures (including leviathans, wyverns, etc) will have stronger and more valuable bones.  Since dragons are in a file I have already modified, I will be back-adjusting them as well.  The manual will include sufficiently detailed (and brief) compatibility instructions for this change, if anyone is actively using this mod with other mods that modify that file.

Improved leather is in the works for this update as well - I will likely be able to do this quickly by just tacking it on to the new material template I am using for legendary creatures.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 06:19:35 pm by narhiril »

Carn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: July 26, 2011, 06:05:16 pm »

Spec ops pigeons.  No less ridiculous than spec ops clowns.

And @ Carn, no, unfortunately, but Assassins of Kings is one of the things I have been meaning to buy for a while (I fell in love with the first one when it came out).  That alone sounds like reason enough to buy it.

I loved the first, got the second during the steam summer sale event. The devs have already put out a balance patch and an optimization patch, and the game is fantastic. I do wish they hadn't added all the pre-order stuff to any new game, because it makes finding new items boring for the first part of the game (since the pre order stuff is so good) but I suppose it can be modded out (or just dropped/sold)

Carn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: July 26, 2011, 06:07:21 pm »

In other news, I am working on "enhanced" material templates for legendary creatures.  So far, I've only finished the bone, but it's working just fine - material properties and values seem to be working fine.

I must have posted just as you were editing to add this, I missed it the first time. This sounds promising! Tons of potential here. I'm excited. Thanks!

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: July 26, 2011, 06:20:13 pm »

In other news, I am working on "enhanced" material templates for legendary creatures.  So far, I've only finished the bone, but it's working just fine - material properties and values seem to be working fine.

I must have posted just as you were editing to add this, I missed it the first time. This sounds promising! Tons of potential here. I'm excited. Thanks!

Yeah, sorry, I edit a lot >.>

There's a bit more now.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: July 26, 2011, 08:05:37 pm »

Just wondering if anyone else has been playing the second witcher game, and gotten to the siege of the dwarf fortress....

Human defender: "The enemy will overwhelm us!"

Dwarf: "Bloody hell they will, this is a DWARVEN fortress!"

It's so beautiful. I shed a tear.

You just single-handedly sold the game to me.  I've had The Witcher on my steam account for about a year, but haven't gotten around to playing it and didn't have it as a high priority.  It's now next on my list.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: July 26, 2011, 08:23:25 pm »

(failed) test of the voidwalkers' new "homing pigeon defense array."

You have a very active imaginary life, narhiril.  :P

But to make the voidwalkers even harder - maybe their sieges could be done in stealth? That would up the difficulty a lot. The reason I can kill voidwalkers all the time is that they need to path through lots of marksdwarves, and that's because I can see they have no energy projecting voidwalkers in their ranks. If their sieges are stealthed, it would significantly up the difficulty, since I would hesitate to send marksdwarves to their doom. (It's their cloaking technology)

I always sort of imagine voidwalkers sort of like the Protoss. It's the flash of yellow when they die that does it. (protoss zealots teleport away in a flash when they are heavily injured - 0 hit points.) Also, your graphical representation of them are all grey, no mouths, and shining eyes.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 240