Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would you most like to see next from LFR?

More tech tree!
- 36 (26.1%)
More ritual tree!
- 8 (5.8%)
More lore!
- 12 (8.7%)
More mythical weapons/armor!
- 22 (15.9%)
Plagues!
- 28 (20.3%)
More secrets!
- 21 (15.2%)
More mechanical constructs!
- 11 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 240

Author Topic: *=*=* Legends of Forlorn Realms (LFR 2012) v0.21a *=*=* [DF 0.34.11]  (Read 397404 times)

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
Re: *=*=*=* Legends of Forlorn Realms - an expansion mod *=*=*=* v0.13b
« Reply #330 on: July 06, 2011, 10:44:00 pm »

May I have the raws? I can't really wait for the next version  :P

DFFD Download

Will not work without material_template_narhiril.txt (part of LFR v0.13a-b).  Drag them into your raws and fire up the arena or a new world.  Note that these are an alpha version of a feature for v0.14a.  They do not yet include a graphic and have not been thoroughly tested.  That being said, they should at least return a clean errorlog.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 10:53:46 pm by narhiril »

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 06, 2011, 11:14:33 pm »

*touches fingertips together*

Aahh, excellent.

EDIT: I've been testing them out, and other than the putrid zingers (who make the enemies nauseous and unconscious, then fly kicks them in the head till death), the others do very little damage. Also, their actually pretty OK in a fight against, say, an alligator, and two of them are locked in a tussle with one. Might wanna reduce their melee prowess a little, and they really can kick...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 04:19:32 am by Pan »

Carn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 07, 2011, 05:19:59 am »

Think of a koosh ball with legs.  I haven't quite decided what to call them yet, though.

I am so very excited about unleashing koosh ball death upon the bloodthirsty hordes.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 07, 2011, 05:38:42 am »

Although, at the moment, the putrids and flashbangs are the only ones that can kill. Putrids made test subject aatxes 1 nauseous and dizzy. However, unconsciousness follows swiftly, and the subject one was unable to awaken for a long period of time - a coma.

Test subject 2 aatxes was presented with a flashbang zinger. He figured it out and hurled the bomb against a far away wall, where it detonated harmlessly. I encased him in obsidian for being a smartass.

Test subject 3 aatxes was presented with a flashbang zinger. He attacked it, and the white light paralyzed him, and he suffocated shortly afterwards.

The other tests are mostly the zingers detonating and the subject being unharmed. Looks like flashbangs and putrids are the only ones that work.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 07, 2011, 02:20:26 pm »

Is there a way to have paralysis prevent movement without causing death?
I get the feeling that most zingers are meant to disable or hinder enemies without killing them outright, including the flashbang zinger...
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 07, 2011, 08:08:59 pm »

These are the kind of results I was hoping for, trying to pin down what works and what needs a tweak or two.

The paralysis associated with flashbangs is only supposed to last a few ticks (in real time, less than a second).  If this is causing death by suffocation, something is wrong with it and I'll need to find some alternatives.

I will remove the drowsiness effect (comas) from putrids.

The problem with frigid and pyrophorics seems to be related to exposure time, which is very short.  The only way I can think to counter this is by removing their own heatdam and colddam points and giving them superheated or supercooled liquids as blood.  Note that this will likely make these two castes very, very, very dangerous.

I do not know why the fragmented ones aren't working, but this may be related to some problems I've had with inhaled syndromes.  For some reason, being caught in a cloud of a gas with an inhaled syndrome is not always enough to transfer the syndrome, and I'm not entirely sure why (again, likely a problem with exposure time).  I'll comb through the raws later and see what I can do for the three non-temperature related effects.  The ice and fire might need a bit more creativity.

UPDATE: fragemented ones are working (causing a huge mess), but lack the significant punch intended.  These will be revised to have a more pronounced effect.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 08:16:44 pm by narhiril »

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 07, 2011, 10:19:42 pm »

Well, either way, I found the ice and fire guys a little less realistic than the others. I mean, fragmentation and putrids are possible in insects in real life, such as how some ants can literally explode to defend their nest, and lots of animals give very putrid smells. Even flashbangs can more or less be explained by how they have some sort of chemical reaction in them that activates on death. But a creature that freezes enemies or burns enemies on death is a little less explainable. And from what your planning, you might really just be overpowering them with the whole dangerous blood thing. In any case, I'll be removing the ice and fire zingers from any of my future downloads, no offense intended or meant.

By the way, request to add the mod in the Community Mods and utilities list.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 08, 2011, 07:03:08 am »

Well, either way, I found the ice and fire guys a little less realistic than the others. I mean, fragmentation and putrids are possible in insects in real life, such as how some ants can literally explode to defend their nest, and lots of animals give very putrid smells. Even flashbangs can more or less be explained by how they have some sort of chemical reaction in them that activates on death. But a creature that freezes enemies or burns enemies on death is a little less explainable. And from what your planning, you might really just be overpowering them with the whole dangerous blood thing. In any case, I'll be removing the ice and fire zingers from any of my future downloads, no offense intended or meant.

I know bombardier beetles can burn their enemies, but freezing is a bit harder to explain.  Even an endothermic chemical reaction would be difficult to justify.  More importantly than justification, however, are technical aspects.  I can't seem to get frigid ones to ever do damage, no matter how cold I make them.  Even with temperatures below absolute zero (which shouldn't even be possible), they aren't damaging anything other than items.  I have concluded that this is probably due to insulating tissue layers and extremely brief exposure time.  Results have been a little better with pyrophorics when I dialed the temperature up, but burns are inconsistent and tend to be on the extremeties.

The results suggest that giving them the axe might be the better solution, at least for now.  I'd rather not introduce another technical headache if I can avoid it.  Putrids and flashbangs are working properly now.  Fragmenteds are a little on the weak side, but they are at least causing some pretty heavy bleeding, and I can revisit these if need be.  I'll post up a revised alpha version later today.

This would be most welcome.  :)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 07:04:55 am by narhiril »

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 08, 2011, 07:06:53 am »

I got freezing damage to work with the Cailleach by having them frequently secrete a gas that was at a fixed temperature of 5000. It caused every test human I made that got near her to contract frostbite.

Should you ever decide to give frigid zingers another try, maybe have them bleed a gas with a fixed temp =<5000, but not be immune to its effects?
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Teach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: July 08, 2011, 03:05:10 pm »

But dragons, immortals, and eldritch abominations crawling from the dredges of the earth are realistic? ;)  What about the alchemy labs and their functions, or giant animated statues of bronze?  You'd have to remove a fair bit of content from the raws to make this game realistic.   I'm just teasin though, I'm sure you've thought of this before (or heard of it) since it's a very common refutation that you often see used in arguments pertaining to realism in literature, movies, and games.   

Teach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: July 08, 2011, 06:36:12 pm »

Wow, Dorf ingenuity at its finest.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What should I do with this?  Wait for Voidwalkers to bring me ammo?

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: July 09, 2011, 12:57:25 am »

But dragons, immortals, and eldritch abominations crawling from the dredges of the earth are realistic? ;)  What about the alchemy labs and their functions, or giant animated statues of bronze?  You'd have to remove a fair bit of content from the raws to make this game realistic.   I'm just teasin though, I'm sure you've thought of this before (or heard of it) since it's a very common refutation that you often see used in arguments pertaining to realism in literature, movies, and games.

Yeah, I know   :D But since this is wildlife, not magically animated objects... But anyway, yeah, magic is a very convenient thing to have to explain lots of things that seem impossible.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: July 09, 2011, 09:32:10 am »

Very nice job so far, I just wish I had more time to play this.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: July 09, 2011, 12:10:08 pm »

Wow, Dorf ingenuity at its finest.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What should I do with this?  Wait for Voidwalkers to bring me ammo?

Won't be easy. Good luck.

And yeah, that's an awesome artifact.

Merijeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 09, 2011, 12:39:03 pm »

So...ummm...a certain special pigeon. He's interrupting me. Should I kill it? Would that be a good thing or a bad thing?

Also, I'm noticing my badly-equipped soldiery is throwing people around a lot. Is it because they're wrestlers, which I never use? Or is something special going on?
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 240