Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 68

Author Topic: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG  (Read 178838 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG
« Reply #765 on: February 26, 2019, 07:57:11 pm »

But only if you nab them outside of a raid?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: February 26, 2019, 08:51:52 pm »

So everyone on turrets with 1 person running around the enemies seem to be one of the earliest defense strategies. Also I seem to be stuck with almost endless groups of starving bandits charging at my base.

Spoiler: that is a lot of blood (click to show/hide)
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: February 26, 2019, 10:45:17 pm »

But only if you nab them outside of a raid?

No, you can grab raid survivors, but you may have to save and load to reset their AI package.  Sometimes if you focus on another area for a while then come back it works too, but not as reliably as saving and loading.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 11:02:36 pm by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: March 08, 2019, 03:17:29 pm »

For some reason one of my guys is showing a red eye when in stealth mode due to my allies "seeing" me... Everyone else is blue, but he is red and there are green arrows pointing to my allies. Anyone know what's up with this?

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out, it was because they were disguised. Apparently it's a way to infinitely train stealth while traveling.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 03:20:38 pm by Micro102 »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: March 12, 2019, 06:37:39 pm »

I had one game where I decided to call Hobbs a wacko.  That character died.
Then I played as another character.  He died too.
Then I played as a family.  The Hub was completely vacant.  Rest of the world seems fine, but the Hub was completely vacant.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: March 12, 2019, 10:49:15 pm »

so, quick question, would you guys generally say you enjoy playing this more or less than MnB? I get that it's super subjective, but there's a huge overlap here and I would like some opinions before I go for either game

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #771 on: March 12, 2019, 10:56:19 pm »

I'd say there's not much overlap in the gameplay between the two, so that's gonna be a hard comparison.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: March 13, 2019, 12:23:00 am »

so, quick question, would you guys generally say you enjoy playing this more or less than MnB? I get that it's super subjective, but there's a huge overlap here and I would like some opinions before I go for either game

You mean Mount and Blade, right? I know I've played a hell of a lot more MnB than I even see myself ever playing Kenshi, and I love Kenshi. It's just that with MnB it gets a lot more personal. You go from a peasant to a mercenary, to a lord, to a king. You can kill hundreds on the battlefield single-handedly. And hundreds of troops is obviously more fun to have fighting than the dozens that Kenshi offers. With the mods MnB has that have been refined over and over (I recommend Prophesy of Pendor) you simply have more than Kenshi does. Heck, Kenshi doesn't even feel like a finished game. More troops, more equipment, more enemies, more leveling up, more diplomacy, etc. The things Kenshi does have over MnB are the ability to build bases and the map. A nice large map with lots of features and cool terrain, perfect for exploring. As for the base building, it's fun to make a base and get an industry going, but everything is fiddly and requires a ton of micromanagement. Hordes of enemies will spawn and break down your gate over and over and over again. It's a pain in the ass to find a spot with everything you need and that is dependable (as in they put all the cool terrain around the towns and ruins). Like I said earlier it just feels unfinished.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 12:53:53 am by Micro102 »

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: March 13, 2019, 12:37:26 am »

In short: I prefer Kenshi but it's due to its genre being my favorite or very-close-second favorite genre of games. But I love and am fascinated by MnB.

To go to unnecessary lengths to clarify:
'Enjoyment' will really depend on who you ask, and when. To me, it depends on what kind of game I want to play at the moment - MnB is a lot more about being in the heat of battle, doing strategy/tactics and keeping your food and money in the green, and beating some silly nobles up.
Kenshi is about surviving every single weird s*** the developers thought would be fun to throw at the players. And its also about doing whatever you want. I don't find much enjoyment in a game like MnB to just hang around a town trying to troll people, meanwhile in Kenshi I could probably lose two hours in each location trying to find weird shit to do while probably dying or getting maimed infinite times in the process.
The only true overlap I can see is that, in both games, the game is not about you. If you want it to be about you, you gotta put in the effort. Otherwise the game and its world has more to do than to care about the player.
In that way, I feel it's also similar to DF and Space Rangers. All those games are included in my favorite games list..but I wouldn't be able to say which one I enjoy more.
DF of course praise ARMOK long live THE TOAD the only reason I don't play DF more is because I fear forgetting about REAL LIFE They are all different, and what I feel like playing is also different every few days.

Some critical differences that makes me choose between one or the other comes from MnB abstracting a lot of stuff into text screens or simply teleporting/fast-forwarding, whereas everything actually happen in real-time in Kenshi. Camping, eating, getting tortured, being a slave, etc. This is done because it's not the focus of the MnB and all that. And in MnB you directly control your character, of course.
MnB characters in your parties also have their personalities and values, something that (at least in my experience) don't really happen in Kenshi . It's all up to you to roleplay. Even though unique companions may have unique lines they utter when going into certain places, every character can and is pretty much a bot once you assign jobs to them. It's very cool to be able to go out with your "exploration squad" and leave your 'civilians' automatically taking care of your town, but if you're into DF-style / colony sim games, eventually it feels a little void and sad since they don't have any needs, personalities or socialization. At least after they got the need for food, it doesn't 100% feel like they are just robots. Then again, in MnB you also don't get to see them interacting with each other, going to eat or etc, but since the game 'fast-forwards' during camping, town visits and so on, your mind probably fills that gap consciously (roleplay) or uncounsciouly.

Anyways, to me it boils down on whether I want to get personal (as mentioned by Micro102 above), macro and abstract, or impersonal, micro-y and specific.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 12:41:19 am by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: March 13, 2019, 05:59:21 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 01:12:49 pm by dragdeler »
let

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: March 13, 2019, 07:07:29 am »

I assume you don't mean the original Mount and Blade but Mount and Blade: Warband (which is basicaly the original plus more).

MnB is the better game for me. It's gameplay/combat is just a lot more engaging and the initial challenge in a new run (which is my favorite part in both games so far) is almost as hard but more enjoyable than Kenshi's . If we also look at the modding scene MnB's is definitely the more mature one, with a ton of mods that add new mechanics that can extend the gameplay for hundreds of hours. I've been playing MnB for more than 7 years, as things are I doubt I'll do the same with Kenshi.

So what does Kenshi have for itself?

The most obvious is base building, something that MnB sorely lacked. Yes there are some mods that expand on this but afaik none really got it going and it was always a bugged feature. Another big plus for me is the exploration part, Kenshi's world is just far more fascinating to walk through than MnB's. In terms of lore both are just as empty :P

My personal favorite is that in Kenshi you can focus on a smaller squad and "get personal". Let me reiterate that. It's viable to play with a small squad be it a one man or a 10 man squad. You can't do that in MnB, not in a meaningfull way.

In conclusion both games are about you controlling a bunch of people in a world that doesn't revolve around you. However each one focuses on different things, find what you like more and choose that.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: March 13, 2019, 10:05:00 am »

I don't think they're on the same level, personally. Kenshi is about micromanagement and "autonomous" AI. M&B is about splattering dudes in real time from horseback. Both games have their bullshit escalation. In Kenshi you'll get hordes of guys better than you attacking any base you build constantly, until you've sunk the requisite 20 hours of building and training in. M&B will do the same thing, except the bullshit starts right around 20 hours when you think you're pretty good, and then it starts hitting you with 100+ sized armies of heavy armor and cavalry and you realize you have a serious grind ahead of you to stay competitive.

I will say though that, unlike M&B, failure is part of growth in Kenshi which makes it easier to deal with. In M&B when you get fucked over, you just get captured and carted around for a while until you escape, and it's back to square one except for your stats and fame and shit. Kenshi.....you're supposed to get beat up early on, a lot. It's the fastest way to grow. So comparing farming arena fights for a couple hours versus actually going out and getting stuff done, I think Kenshi is the better game in that regard.

But they're both good and for me scratch two completely different itches.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #777 on: March 13, 2019, 01:49:10 pm »

M&B warband is rather bland and boring imho without mods, but it has some AMAZING mods for it. And it has multiplayer matches which are fun. Well that's not entirely true - Viking Conquest dlc is pretty epic, but it started as a mod so...

Kenshi has more world to explore and more interesting lore imho. And even without mods you can cause a lot of change in the world - like wiping out cities or replacing the slaving factions with groups who disallow slavery. Quite a lot is possible with modding, but it's much more limited than M&B modding. Kenshi may never have the modding scene that M&B has due to that.

Purely the base game, I've played Kenshi way more. Throw in mods and my M&B playtime far surpasses Kenshi.

They're totally different games though. It's akin to comparing a FPS to a RTS.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: March 15, 2019, 12:10:23 am »

Honestly you'll probably enjoy both games, however Mount & Blade is done with its current development (however bannerlords will be coming up "soon"). Kenshin still has some development left.  So for that reason alone I'd suggest buying Mount & Blade now, getting a lot of enjoyment out of that game for 6 months or a year, then buying kenshi when it is more polished.

I often think about kenshi:
Sunk 200 hours into this game, and only 10% of that time was spent waiting for the game to load!

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: March 16, 2019, 06:00:56 am »

I recruited Beep for the first time.

Beep: "Money? What's money?"
Also Beep: " Now I need some treasures and some beautiful female human ladies"

His dialogues are both hilarious and terrifying in what they imply. Did he lie to get himself recruited? Has he met any non female human ladies?

He is definitely in character with his outfit :D
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 68