Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 68

Author Topic: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG  (Read 178926 times)

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
Re: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG
« Reply #450 on: December 11, 2016, 05:45:20 pm »

You can eat your shoes.
You can't wear your sandwich.

Checkmate.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: December 16, 2016, 08:42:31 am »

Welp: I now have a crew of 2 Skeletons, 3 Keth (or whatever they're called, the Hivers), a ridiculously good engineer, An awesome farmer, an awesome laborer, a doctor, a scientist, and a bunch of randoms.

14 members in all, everyone's got great weapons, my main char is decked out in stealth-bonus gear, so I can sneak like a maniac.

I barely wear armor on my main. He's a stealth-master 5000 ;) Glass cannon, to be sure.

Looted a ruined library I found in the Swamp NW of Shark, south of Squin, itself south of The Hub, brought back a ton of loot to my now massively undersized shack full of uncomfortable humanoids, and once I figure out where I can actually build, I'm making my own settlement. :)
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: December 16, 2016, 02:27:24 pm »

Noice. Be sure to use that sneak to Stealth KO some Mine Guards and put them on the cages they are supposed to be guarding.
It might take a few quick loads to do perfectly, but on the next day the remaining guards will treat them like prisoners and put them to work. When fighting happens, a lot of confusion goes on.

I bumped into this a few months ago, so I'm not sure if it still works, but it's a nice 'easter egg-like' feature.  :P
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: December 16, 2016, 02:40:23 pm »

Has the non-Steam version updated yet? Last I knew the only non-Steam version available was from before the new world (before stealth was a thing even).
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #454 on: December 16, 2016, 02:45:06 pm »

I was really interested in this and took a look at the wiki... Is this correct?

Weapon classes:
    Blunt (Class)
    Hacker (Class)
    Heavy Weapons (Class)
    Katana (Class)
    Sabre (Class)

This is like having a driving skill with the following classes:
Truck (Class)
Fast Ones (Class)
Large Trucks (Class)
2016 Ferrari California (Class)
Fords (Class)

It's not a game-breaker, it's just seriously disconcerting.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: December 16, 2016, 02:56:18 pm »

There are a variety of different kinds of katanas. On the other hand how weapons are classified always seemed weird to me, but I can't really think of something much better.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #456 on: December 16, 2016, 03:37:50 pm »

Truck (Class)
Fast Ones (Class)
Large Trucks (Class)
Fiat Multipla (Class)
Fords (Class)
FTFY
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: December 16, 2016, 03:57:54 pm »

Weapon classes:
    Blunt (Class)
    Hacker (Class)
    Heavy Weapons (Class)
    Katana (Class)
    Sabre (Class)

This is like having a driving skill with the following classes:
Truck (Class)
Fast Ones (Class)
Large Trucks (Class)
2016 Ferrari California (Class)
Fords (Class)

It's not a game-breaker, it's just seriously disconcerting.

So basically, weapon damage is divided into blunt damage and cutting damage. Cutting damage causes bleed and is governed by your dexterity, while blunt damage is governed by your strength. The heavier a weapon is, the more blunt damage it will do, the lighter it is the faster you'll swing but less blunt damage. Blunt weapon class mainly is concerned with the use of metal clubs, doing minimal bleeding damage so is good for capturing humanoids, additionally most armour have lower blunt protection values and is usually better at hitting through armour. Hackers are basically extended cleaving focused swords, so have an equal ratio of cut to blunt damage. Heavy weapons are concerned with extremely heavy 2 handed weapons such as planks (literally a flat giant sword that beats people to death more than cuts) or fragment axes (gigantic rectangular sword with serrated edge). They are almost entirely concerned with blunt damage, but due to this they are difficult to wield and often require your character to have good melee attack and strength stats to use effectively. Katanas are literally just katanas, lightest weapons in the game, almost entirely focused on cutting damage and having a very high attack speed. Sabres are just swords with an enlarged, curved cutting edge, still focused on cutting damage but are slightly heavier than katanas so have blunt damage as well.

Should note that the wiki is outdated largely and more updated info can be found on their forums and steam general discussions. For example, now there are new weapon types for every category, as well as unarmed combat.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: December 16, 2016, 06:36:17 pm »

Weapon classes:
    Blunt (Class)
    Hacker (Class)
    Heavy Weapons (Class)
    Katana (Class)
    Sabre (Class)
Cheedow's description pretty much sums it up. The world focuses primarily on katanas being the base weapon, with most other weapons being variations on it. In reality, katanas are basically just two-handed sabers. It kinda makes sense to use something like a katana in a world where typically armor is relatively light and people don't carry around shields, since sabers/katanas are very good at cutting unarmored people. 'Sabers' in this game aren't like sabers in real life. The most common type of saber "horse chopper's" name should give you an idea of what they're like.

So you have katanas/wakizashis on the "dexterity" side of the spectrum, and planks/fragment axes being the 'strength' side of the spectrum, with sabers and hackers being in-between. "Blunt", as far as I know (it's a new addition since I last played), basically encompasses clubs about the size of a katana. There's also things like polearms and martial arts, but they're more specialized.

So I started playing again yesterday and I am quite impressed by the new world map. A decent amount of variety instead of just deserts all over. There's actually some shrublands and even a nice river basin that would be perfect for farming in. My main complaint with the new map is that there aren't a whole lot of good, flat areas to build in that aren't already occupied or barren of resources, from what I've encountered. I ended up setting up a base on a plateu of sorts to the east of the Hub overlooking a river. There's a bridge over a small chasm that seems to be bugged and placed incorrectly, so if you find that it's the plateu above that with the iron veins. Also it's annoying how all of the stone I'm finding is located on steep terrain that won't allow stone quarry to be placed.

Anyone who wants to consider building a base should seriously considering hiring a medic for 6000 cats. They come with ~25 science skill which will allow them to prospect a very large area at a time. If you're frustrated that prospecting is only giving you about 100 square meters of info then that's your problem.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 06:39:52 pm by OzyTheSage »

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: December 17, 2016, 02:33:44 am »

Also let's not forget, Kenshi is going for a very distinct vibe with their world, a very "sci-fi meets post-apocalypse as envisioned by six-string samurai crossed with mad max" type deal and the weapon and armor design reflects that quite well.

I believe they call it Sword-punk.

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: December 17, 2016, 06:38:46 am »

That wiki also isn't up to date, there are polearms which include things like staffs and sword on a sticks.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #461 on: December 17, 2016, 07:11:08 am »

In reality, katanas are basically just two-handed sabers.
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: December 17, 2016, 09:45:29 am »

In reality, katanas are basically just two-handed sabers.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Not sure if serious

E: I was mostly referring to how the blades are shaped, not any of the hilt features like crossguards and knuckle guards or the materials used to make them. Speaking of materials, I suppose that's another point in favor of using katanas because of the lower quality steel they were made with since higher quality steel was harder to come by, much like in the game (though probably not as extreme). AFAIK the only part of the katana's blade that was high-quality steel was the cutting edge. You wouldn't want to bend a katana like you could a western sword.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 10:00:44 am by OzyTheSage »

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #463 on: December 17, 2016, 09:52:26 am »

Don't you dare compare the glorious bajillion-folded perfection that is sabre to shitty Japanese katana pig iron crap.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: December 17, 2016, 10:01:27 am »

Ok I got you now =p

Also, turns out that different plants grow better in different biomes (who would have thought?) so while the spot I settled is nice for making wheat and metalworks, it's terrible when it comes to growing cotton.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 68