Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 676 677 [678] 679 680 ... 711

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1330714 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #10155 on: October 25, 2021, 07:55:12 am »

Beat the Capra Demon and his dogs. It was the second try in total. The first was the "walk into the room and immediately die because I don't know what's going on" attempt from yesterday.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10156 on: October 25, 2021, 10:55:50 am »

Beat the Capra Demon and his dogs. It was the second try in total. The first was the "walk into the room and immediately die because I don't know what's going on" attempt from yesterday.

That’s amazing dude. Capra can make the toughest of us veterans quiver in fear. I remember grinding dozens of attempts on him back when i was a kid.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10157 on: October 25, 2021, 12:41:56 pm »

I think I've recommended it before but the Ancient Stone Armor can make Capra Demon a walk in the park, due to the ridiculously high defense and poise making his dogs a non-issue. Just have to be able to wear it and still move around. Anyway, seconding that good job, Akura.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10158 on: October 25, 2021, 07:16:36 pm »

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10159 on: October 26, 2021, 02:38:42 am »

Eh, fair enough. It's been a long time since I've played it, but with the Master Key Capra Demon can be put off for a long while so I usually already had it by the time I felt like dealing with him.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10160 on: October 26, 2021, 03:39:32 am »

Capra is optional even without the master key, if you know the right way to go around. ;)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10161 on: October 26, 2021, 04:25:26 am »

Honestly, that fight didn't feel that hard. Once you get around the initial dog attack and get some room to dodge, it's not that bad.

Also did kill the Gaping Dragon in one shot with almost no prep work; had Solaire(who had all but soloed Kirk beforehand) but he didn't even last half the fight. But then, Gaping Dragon is actually very easy once you realize

Grabbed its tail first thing, too.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10162 on: November 02, 2021, 10:43:12 pm »

Went after a mysterious (pink) Rathian, which ambushed us in midair and started the battle right from landing.  This would have been bad enough given how it's more powerful and apparently more capable than the regular Rathian I was geared for (mostly low-level Legi armor with some HR Pukei and Rathian armor to pick up poison immunity), but my first clue that we weren't alone in the area was when I took a flying leap with my hunting horn and accidentally landed on a Legiana which was also charging at said Rathian from offscreen, and got between me and her.  Cue three-way battle as the Rathian, Legiana, and I all vied with and against each other.  They both fled in the same direction down the cliffs and I followed, at which point a Tzitzi-Ya-Ku joined the battle by flashbanging all of us in a single blow, then took a flying leap into the fray (thankfully at the Rathian).  One absolutely dizzying battle commenced as I chased the Rathian through that skirmish and several others all across the map, got carted two times out of the maximum of three allowed, until I finally managed to accidentally slay it when I meant to capture it.  Still, since it was a hunt mission, it counted as a victory.  Under the circumstances, I'm fine chalking that up as the closest to a win I could actually get under that kind of situation with my sheer lack of ability.

In retrospect, though, I probably should have used one of those eight dung bombs I was carrying around for precisely this kind of situation.  It was nice letting those three keep each other busy while I was running around chugging mega potions, though.  I think the only thing that could have made the party even worse would have been if everyone's favorite B-52, Bazelgeuse, joined in as well by bombing the entire arena.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 10:47:10 pm by Culise »

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10163 on: November 04, 2021, 12:02:30 pm »

I just won a large scale battle, by killing 4 units.

I was sieging Jericho as Vespasian, and all the rebel Jews were defending the bridge. So I just had skirmished with them over the bridge, while a bunch of riders and a marksman snuck around the back and assassinated the rebel boss.

The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10164 on: November 09, 2021, 06:18:27 pm »

Tracked down a wolf that was responsible for at least three of my deaths and who was camping way too close to my home, and killed it by throwing dozens of rocks at him. Also killed two of his buddies that way, from far enough away that they didn't even aggro. I turned most of their meat into pemmican and am feasting on the rest. All while waiting for my anvil mold to finish firing since I found at least enough tin from a mining excursion to make at least a bronze anvil(not even bothering with a copper anvil).

EDIT: Couldn't find a way to depressurize the compartments around the reactor. Even after removing the door controls, they still automatically open and close. I tried to do something clever; have both the inner compartment and the outer compartments pressurized(and thus doors open), then zap a hole in the wall between them. This... didn't work. However, just as the atmosphere stopped blowing out, I get a notification: "Processed: Door. $1096 credits." Somehow, one of the doors exploded off and blasted into the processor. The only lost-salvage penalty was $123 for a bit of aluminum(probably the bit I cut open). For comparison, that's less than the loose change one would find in their couch.

EDIT: First time playing the game through the end of Year 2. Got all 4 candles lit on Grandpa's evaluation.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 05:54:11 pm by Akura »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10165 on: November 23, 2021, 09:49:02 pm »

Completely out of estus and around half health, but determined not to have to rest and respawn all the enemies in the whole area, I went down the one last side branch I hadn't gotten all the loot from, guarded by a gargoyle which I'd previously fled from. Turns out, there were two gargoyles suddenly aggroed on me, which I really couldn't deal with without any healing, so I just tried to run past them and miraculously didn't die, dropping down to an earlier area. The two gargoyles followed my down, but couldn't follow me through the window into the main building.

There weren't any items on this side path, but sometimes killing groups of tough enemies will drop some loot, so I decided to try cheesing these two by looping back around to where you're "supposed" to fight them, a ledge which they now cannot get back up to. Through a combination of repeated plunging attacks and arrows, I eventually cheesed the fight.

And for my hard won effort I didn't get anything but the normal amount of souls.

I did it!
but Huh. It's a pointless...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10166 on: November 25, 2021, 08:17:14 pm »

There's several things deeply unfair about a party of level 30+ troll monks. Look out, it's a troll! Run!

oh wait

it accelerates faster than a sports car, can teleport, and attacks seven times a turn averaging about a hundred damage per hit

also there's five of them and their barbarian friend and their pet air elemental

whoops

Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10167 on: November 26, 2021, 08:31:56 am »

It was a very long hunt, as apparantly the starter weapons and ammos aren't exactly good for anything big.

But in near to half a hour following tracks, shooting then following the tracks and blood again  until i could shoot at the beast again, i finally did it.
Took so long maybe because the animal was incredibly resilient (or my starter ammo wasn't really piercing deep enough) as it took several shots.

My first Elk in Call of the Wild.

Thank you Elk for your giving, your meat will probably virtual-feed me for a long time :) (that Elk hunt reminded me a lot of my UnrealWorld hunting session, wounding the preys and taking lots of time following them to get another shot until success)

Don't be so sad, later that night while sneaking around i found that another elk was happy making his mating calls, he had less competition ;)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 09:24:12 am by Robsoie »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10168 on: December 06, 2021, 12:27:51 am »

Only took two first floor deaths to knock off the rust and follow up with a five floor normal difficulty win. Redshift still got it!

e: four days and about 11 runs and redshift has perfected terminus on normal, whee

redshift best mech, only mech I can win with lol

time to turn up the difficulty!

e2: ... win with legitimately. Steam cheevos says I've won with four other mechs but I'm pretty sure that's from when I was modding everything I played with with the redshift effect :P
« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 08:29:32 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10169 on: December 10, 2021, 08:50:44 pm »

After all this time of owning the game, and playing plenty of skirmish, never have I actually finished the story campaign. Until today, when I finished the UEF campaign.

Goddamn, what a slog. Took the three attempts. First attempt, I died when the scripted nuclear barrage that occurs as the battle enters the second phase completely bypassed the two anti-nukes(which had full ammo) and sniped my ACU and his new girlfriend(and the superweapon I was supposed to be protecting). Said anti-nukes were also about 50ft away.

Second attempt, I barely survive the first Cybran assault, which consists of dozens of shielded assault bots and four Monkeylords. I was able to take those out mostly because my battleships could hit them at max range. However, when the superweapon is ~40% charged, another wave like that drops. That one, that one just walked over everything. Instead of trying to salvage that fight, I started over.

Third attempt, I intentionally held off completing the first objective until I could build a defensive wall. Although a few section fell to random Cybran air raids, and provided a lot of effective fire at bringing down the Monkeylords. I very nearly stopped the Cybrans from capturing the superweapon's control building, but I think the game bullshits in more engineers to force its capture. Plausible, since the mission doesn't continue until you retake it. Taking advantage of that, I built a new strongpoint, consisting of a T3 shield, several Triads(you don't get T3 land turrets), enough Flayers to prevent the shields from being overwhelmed by suicidal bombers, and a Fatboy. The Fatboy is actually pretty effective in this mission, because although it lacks the direct-damage capability of the Monkeylord, it can spread a lot of damage around.

By sheer luck, this new strongpoint was just outside the next nuclear barrage, which is good because I forgot to build an anti-nuke launcher. When the second Cybran assault arrived,  these guns, plus fire from two fleets on my flanks, in between dealing with both the Aeon and Cybran navies, brought that assault to a quick end. The rest of the mission was a cakewalk after that.

EDIT: Finished all three campaigns now, doing the Cybran second, and Aeon last. The final mission for the Aeon wasn't that hard. I only had to save-scum once because of how hard the Cybrans roll in during the second phase. I was able to prepare for that by building a heavy defensive line consisting of multiple T2 turrets and artillery guns, backed by a delayed-production(due to unit cap) of dozens of T3 bots and artillery tanks. The gun-wall and the first wave dealt with the Cybran attack and my navy cheesed their base.

The final part I thought I would have a problem with - a massive naval attack on my base. But then I saw the enemy commander on the edge of his base, so I sent those dozens of assault troops and artillery directly at him. Mission, and campaign, done.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 06:35:32 pm by Akura »
Pages: 1 ... 676 677 [678] 679 680 ... 711