Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 711

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1330497 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #960 on: December 06, 2012, 12:31:09 pm »

Played as China. After being bottled up for a relatively stable period of time, Montezuma did his usual Montezuma thing and attacked me in the name of more heads for his bloody altars. Given that his army consisted almost entirely of Jaguar Warriors while I had a number of Horsemen meant that it didn't go well for him. Then I developed the Cho-Ko-Nu, and it was ON. In a startlingly short period of time, the dragon banner of Zhongguo flew over the cities of Tenuoqiditelan (Tenochitlan), Telateluo (Tlateloco) and Teaodiwakan (Teotihuacan).

Montezuma was a dick, and he had started the war, so none of the other Great Powers were particularly miffed. I had not intended to embark on the warrior's path, instead following a strategy of improving my cities and lands. In time, the nearby city-state of Hanoi came to call me friend, as did Quebec, both of them on the American border, nearest my new lands. On the other side of my empire, India, Arabia and Siam shared a cramped space uneasily.

To my north, the isolated city-state of Capetown held rich sources of badly-needed iron. My army being flush with units from the late war, I decided to make this one quick burst of aggression before returning to the path of peaceful development. However, once Capetown fell to my forces, the Great Powers all denounced me. Whatever, I shrugged. It's not war.

Then America declared war on Quebec, and even sought a meeting with me to rub my face in it. I dared not oppose them openly, but I did not wish to see my ally fall to this naked aggression. I selected three of my finest companies of knights, changed their livery to that of the Quebcois, and dispatched them in haste. They arrived just in time to turn the tide. Faced with the sobering prospect of a long and bloody war, the Americans grudgingly agreed to peace.

Pleased with my skill as a diplomat, I continued on in the path of peace, but beset by wary neighbors on both sides, I did not neglect my defenses.

Then came the dagger in the back. The Americans declared war again, and one turn later so did ALL the remaining Great Powers. I had been denounced by all the world and made into a pariah state, forced to fight a two-front war. Only then did I discover that my enemies to the west had also not pursued the warrior's path. When my forces bestrode the walls of Mecca, they found it defended by mere peasants wielding stone axes. Mecca fell, and within I found why this city was known as the Jewel of the World. No less than ten of the world's great wonders were contained within its walls.

From there, I extinguished the hopes of the Arabs and the Indians. The Americans sued for peace and offered reparations and tribute. This freed my forces up to quench the vast Siamese Empire and finaly return for the death blow against the American Empire. When my men returned to the American borders, some 500 years after the Great Treaty had been signed, they were a modern army of battle-hardened infantry and artillery, while the Americans had barely discovered gunpowder. With the fall of Washington, all the world knelt before the Dragon Banner.

tl;dr Wound up getting DoW'd by every major power at once. Crushed all of them for a Domination victory. Had so much gold towards the end that I was allying with every city-state just for shit and giggles.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: December 06, 2012, 09:05:18 pm »

I mistakenly chose to randomly gen a role for my latest adventurer Frak.

...Frak the lawful female human samurai is doing quite well, with some of the best gear I've found yet. She's got gloves of power and a cloak of invisibility from the same shop, as well as a "large shield" I have yet to identify. It isn't cursed though, and she's got an AC of -2 already, which I assume is decent for only being four floors down.

Also, I may have found a magic lamp down in the first floor of the gnomish mines. No guarantees, but I know it's a lamp, and it isn't cursed. All I need to do now is bless it and rub it to check, and I could have a wish to keep on hand for whatever it is I need it for.

Now let's hope I don't die from some gnome with a wand of death or from tripping over a cockatrice or anything like that.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 09:07:19 pm by Mr Space Cat »
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: December 06, 2012, 11:20:01 pm »

Spoiler: Snipped for length (click to show/hide)
[/spoiler]

We defeated Egypt, then pumped all our remaining money into learning techs and building things. We won a time victory. Hooray!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: December 07, 2012, 12:52:49 am »

L4D, Single Player Campaign

Hunter pounced AT me. I blocked him with melee. Feelsgoodman. That is all.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Smashness

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:SLEEP:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: December 07, 2012, 05:15:53 pm »

There's nothing quite like whistling from behind a corner to get the attention of a guard and stabbing him in the throat as he comes to investigate.

I was hunting for moose (meese?) in a frozen tundra, and I managed to kill one. I stuck in it my backpack like any normal person, and rounded a fortress to find entrance. On the north wall, I was attacked by a flying sea monster, which I simply outran. On the south wall, I was beset by two polar bears. I threw the dead moose at the bear in front of me, and dodged it. Now all I need is to find the entrance to this stupid fort.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 06:34:43 pm by Smashness »

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: December 08, 2012, 12:30:42 am »

Within a short span of time I one-shotted a ferocious hydra, several stout stone giants and a horde of battle hardened orc warriors. Being an ogre with the highest base damage weapon rocks.

I was hunting for moose (meese?) in a frozen tundra, and I managed to kill one. I stuck in it my backpack like any normal person, and rounded a fortress to find entrance. On the north wall, I was attacked by a flying sea monster, which I simply outran. On the south wall, I was beset by two polar bears. I threw the dead moose at the bear in front of me, and dodged it. Now all I need is to find the entrance to this stupid fort.

Moose is the correct plural form. Funny story.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #966 on: December 08, 2012, 02:17:25 am »

CounterStrike Global Offensive in arms race mode.

It just isn't fair. I pretty much destroy the competition 9 out of 10 games. People are asking, how the hell can he have 14 kills in the first minute of a match? They curse my name.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: December 08, 2012, 09:51:47 pm »

There's nothing quite like whistling from behind a corner to get the attention of a guard and stabbing him in the throat as he comes to investigate.

Funny, almost that exact smae situation happened to me in Assassins Creed III, except the fortress was the entrance to the tribe, I was aboput 17, there was only one bear, and it was the end of the mission so my hud vanished and it ate me.

I was laughing about how you could still hear the bear in the background after the mission (I think fatty was getting nommed by one?), all the way until it pounced me like a cougar and bit out my throat. Then I was laughing for a entirely different reason.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: December 12, 2012, 10:49:24 pm »

I cleansed New Sorpigal of the Goblin Scourge rather handily, after purging the vermin from the Abandoned Temple, rescuing what's-his-face's daughter, and retrieving the Candelabra for the Baa-cultist guy. Goblinwatch was definitely not a challenge, even when I accidentally hit the wrong button and got teleported deep into the bowels of it, surrounded by goblins and rats and blood-sucking... Things. I butchered them all, looted ALL THE GOODIES, and made my way out of that wretched place. I had 20,000 gold to burn, and burn it I did. Expert in Swords and Bows, for three characters. Level eight. Bunch of neat new items to wear.
And I decided to do something foolish. I decided to travel to New Haven. On foot. Without a carriage.

You have to go through the Mire of the Damned to get to New Haven.

Let's just say, I'm in New Haven with a party of weak, injured, GLORIOUSLY BADASS Adventurers, with broken armor, little money, and depleted potion reserves. But I'm in New Haven.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: December 13, 2012, 12:01:20 pm »

Got embroiled in a war of liberation against a diabolical empire as one of the three major power, and just got dragged into another with a major power by my tiny ally, when Shakturi appeared right in my home system. Didn't care too much at first, and that attitude -thankfully- didn't last long. An emergency fleet-wide recall was initiated moments later, and an epic battle erupted around the Shakturi - and as obviously, my - homeworld. Things were bleak, with the main fleet still half a galaxy away and the loss rate above 5:1.

But I have a Devastator Moon.

I blew them up. And my reputation plunged all the way from Noble to Dubious, turning what was essentially the entire galaxy - including said ally who dragged me into the previous war, and my supposedly best ally who barely balanced out at "pleased" by reputation only - against me.

Nevermind the fact that I just saved them all.

Other losses include some ~15 Capital ships and about 4x smaller ones, a few defense platforms, a spaceport along with the scientist in it, a global energy research +100% colony, and one of my three restricted resource colony at the other end of the universe both conquered by said major power. I call this a Pyrrhic victory.

I wonder what will come next.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 12:41:16 pm by JWNoctis »
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #970 on: December 14, 2012, 12:30:36 am »

I got netflix to work within Windows Media Center on windows 7 64bit. You bastard.

I can now use my fancy pc remote.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: December 14, 2012, 12:40:37 am »

26-11-12 Darius, SR.

:)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: December 14, 2012, 12:59:50 am »

Lobstermen. See, it turns out, if you SHOOT THE EVERLOVING CHRIST OUT OF THEM, they will pass out, and that's close enough to win. Also, I tazed one. In hand to hand. It clawed my guy first, and he somehow survived despite wearing what amounts to coveralls. That guy got a huge promotion.

He's fucking with us.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: December 14, 2012, 07:26:14 am »

I got netflix to work within Windows Media Center on windows 7 64bit. You bastard.

Well, as a Canadian, I figured out how to get my netflix to run off the American website. So, Many, Movies! It's so beautiful!

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: December 14, 2012, 10:39:49 am »

Well, as a Canadian, I figured out how to get my netflix to run off the American website. So, Many, Movies! It's so beautiful!

Well, as a poor person, I figured out my netflix hasn't been paid for and did my homework instead. Productivity!
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 711