Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 291

Author Topic: Elona  (Read 567058 times)

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elona
« Reply #3165 on: June 15, 2013, 04:57:51 pm »

I got 161 speed, 20 more than zeome according to the wiki.
I guess I'll try again now that I have two random "get-beaten-wanna-be-your-friend" pets along.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: June 15, 2013, 05:16:06 pm »

Considering a new spellcaster character. I'm between a fairy or a lich. Class would be wizard either way. Opinions?
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: June 15, 2013, 05:19:18 pm »

Depending on your economic situation, invest in one or more magic shops to 100+ and check in every so often for the potions of potential. 30k+ for one i think, depends on your negotiation.
If you can't afford that, the visiting guild trainer is probably the best way.
Before you invest, though, I'd suggest getting the Investing skill unless you are flowing in hundreds of thousands of cash. Investing is really expensive. It was amazing to me how cheaper investing was after getting the skill.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: June 15, 2013, 05:22:56 pm »

I'd go with Fairy. They do have the massive issue of finding equipment they can use; but they start with 50 more speed than Liches. Their innate DV bonus should make dealing with starting enemies much easier and they have tons of great resists. They're also pretty good with ranged weaponry so you have a backup in case you out of magic stock.

Note that as a Fairy AND a Wizard you're still going to have a ton of problems at the beginning no matter what you do.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 05:24:37 pm by Blaze »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: June 15, 2013, 05:24:27 pm »

Considering a new spellcaster character. I'm between a fairy or a lich. Class would be wizard either way. Opinions?

Everyone plays a fairy, so break the mold and play a lich.  Besides, you can equip items that are 1.1 stones.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: June 15, 2013, 06:17:45 pm »

Everyone plays a fairy, so break the mold and play a lich.  Besides, you can equip items that are 1.1 stones.
I'll have to 2nd this, nothing is more frustrating then trying to gather books in the puppy dungeon and dying in one hit from a public performer...3rd option is elea, they have an innate bonus to magic control...its actually enough to make using magic burst almost viable.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: June 15, 2013, 07:27:55 pm »

Fairies benefit tremedously from taking the ascetic feats... but that is 5 feats to only partially fix their hp problems.

I prefer elea for a wiz char vs the lich, if I don't want to use a fairy. Elea have a racial bonus that halves their overcast damage in addition to what they get from the magic capacity skill. It can be a life saver later on when mobs use some of those devastating mana burst skills on you, or hit you with weapons that drain mp like Zeome does. And elea also get more resistance to etherwind too.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: June 16, 2013, 03:00:12 am »

Does the the strength of the enemy matter for defensive skill gains(evasion, armor, etc) or do I get as much from being surrounded by putits as from dragons?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: June 16, 2013, 03:40:09 am »

I'll add a + for Elea as a wizard, i'm currently running one and it worked very well after some grinding.
Especially in Elona+ that improved the magic usage so you can finally deal some rather amazing damage after training a lot with an offensive spell.

I never had much success in Elona (not the + version i mean) with wizards before Elona+, i always found their spell training was too slow in term of offensive power to follow up the monsters increase in power, i had much better results with melee characters
But in Elona+ wizards are rather fun now.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: June 16, 2013, 03:53:33 am »

Note that fairies get fairly large boosts to their offense power when using magic spells, at least those that match their resists in E+.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: June 16, 2013, 04:27:55 am »

Does the the strength of the enemy matter for defensive skill gains(evasion, armor, etc) or do I get as much from being surrounded by putits as from dragons?
Well, Still don't know if strength matters, but one mitra beats 8 putits in gain speed.

And yes, Fairy is probably the strongest option as long as you survive puppy cave, But you pick what you want. I'm an Eulderna mage/all kinds of skills.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: June 16, 2013, 04:38:11 am »

The difficulty is that there's so much randomness involved in some of the gains (reading book by example giving different result when reloading and reading again the same) that it's hard to know if the monster strength have a strong or minor influence.
The only sure thing is that the XP gained is still more important.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: June 16, 2013, 04:50:31 am »

The only sure thing is that the XP gained is still more important.
I was just assuming that you gained Y xp for every 0.001 skill point or vice verse. Say that at 1.000 skill, one point would translate into 100 xp while at 10.000 skill it would be 1000xp or something.
Note that the numbers is just hypothetical.

syllogism

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: June 16, 2013, 05:01:53 am »

I haven't been able to notice any boost to spell damage from matching resistance. While the testing hasn't been entirely methodological and I didn't rule out the possibility of the boost being capped at a very low value (say, anything higher than one or two bars gives no benefit), I'm fairly confident that it's not working or does not work at least with ice ball. I tried changing both the base resistance and the effective one. I suppose it's possible that the boost is VERY small, say a flat +dmg that doesn't get multiplied, which would explain why my end game character isn't noticing a difference.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 05:03:47 am by syllogism »

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: June 16, 2013, 06:15:05 am »

Food can be enchanted now?  :o
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 291