Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 291

Author Topic: Elona  (Read 567089 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elona
« Reply #2550 on: March 30, 2013, 10:27:14 pm »

Well, noone ever said that the etherwind disease was supposed to have a silver lining... like mutations.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: March 31, 2013, 01:08:21 am »

If I recall correctly (different versions, elona vs elona plus, do your own research) the trick to ether disease is that it works on a "last in last out" basis. If you drink a potion of cure corruption it will always remove the most recent disease effect. So...if you get a bad effect, cure it. If you get a good effect, no problem. So, with proper care, over time ether disease becomes a very beneficial thing in which you simply accumulate good effects.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: March 31, 2013, 04:45:19 pm »

Is there a way to make the graphics packs work with elona+? I've put the files in the graphics folder but I cannot use them on character creation.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: March 31, 2013, 04:53:19 pm »

http://elona.squares.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5308

See last post. Pretty sure that's how I got a graphics pack to work.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: March 31, 2013, 05:22:09 pm »

That worked, thanks.

Time to play a pianist again.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: April 01, 2013, 01:30:11 pm »

So, with proper care, over time ether disease becomes a very beneficial thing in which you simply accumulate good effects.
Yeah, I suggest the symptom which makes you grow feathers. You get +18 speed, -20% weight and the penalty is you can't wear cloaks. If I had a cloak that gave me those effects I would wear it anyway. Combined with speed rings and the symptom which turns your foot into hooves you can have insanely high speed. I currently have 164 speed myself without the hooves thing.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: April 01, 2013, 02:03:04 pm »

I like me Ether-Free... well, it's not that I hate all ether symptoms but that I just hate the ones that they always give me first. The feathers and hooves ones aren't that bad (though hooves take away seven league boots).
Yeah, I suggest the symptom which makes you grow feathers. You get +18 speed, -20% weight and the penalty is you can't wear cloaks.
Apparently it can be even more than 18 speed. What does the -20% weight mean, though? Is it like your character's weight on the character sheet or does it have actual game effects?

Side question: can you get ether disease symptoms that you already had before, but cured? Being a living mana battery was kinda cool, and I think it's the only way you can learn Teleport Other besides wizard dreams and scrolls of wonder.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: April 01, 2013, 03:58:44 pm »

Is there a specific version of this game I should play? I've put a long time into base Elona, but I see there's talk about "Elona+" too.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: April 01, 2013, 07:46:29 pm »

's mostly about particular taste really. Most of them have drastic changes in some places that you might not care for.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: April 02, 2013, 10:10:26 am »

Yeah, I suggest the symptom which makes you grow feathers. You get +18 speed, -20% weight and the penalty is you can't wear cloaks.
Apparently it can be even more than 18 speed. What does the -20% weight mean, though? Is it like your character's weight on the character sheet or does it have actual game effects?

Side question: can you get ether disease symptoms that you already had before, but cured? Being a living mana battery was kinda cool, and I think it's the only way you can learn Teleport Other besides wizard dreams and scrolls of wonder.
More than 18 speed? Well, it gives me only 18 speed more but I'd love to skyrocket my speed further if I knew how.

-20% weight applies to your inventory so the total weight of items you carry weigh -20% less.

You can get the same symptoms you cured yourself of before. Still, you don't have a high chance of getting the same symptom considering the number of possible symptoms you can get. My suggestion is, when you get a symptom you want to keep, cure it anyway if you got much worse symptoms before that. If it's your first symptom, just wait until you get two other symptoms and chug a potion of cure corruption (not blessed). You'll be only left with the symptom you wanted to have.

BTW, I'm still playing with the base Elona. I tried Elona+ but then reverted back to the old version after realizing that I liked the original better. Call it nostalgia filter, maybe. Changes aren't really drastic but if you really know how the game works (like the chances of something happening, some tricks that can be done with savescumming, etc) you'll realize that the game changed a lot in the background.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: April 02, 2013, 10:45:16 am »

E+ is, in my opinion, the base game with added content in the end and to parts that were a bit lacking

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: April 02, 2013, 12:18:20 pm »

I enjoy Elona+ more than the original. The traveling buff is very helpful, and it just feels easier to get into than regular Elona.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Markus

• Bay Watcher
  • [Alignment:Lawful Bacon]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: April 02, 2013, 01:13:47 pm »

Yeah, by the end of the day, it really comes down to personal taste. I like the new character sprites for towns myself. The gameplay changes feel, overall, fair but not game changing. Some of the abilities feel like I'm wasting them though, I haven't found a use to giving my martial arts an element yet.

Rutee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: April 04, 2013, 09:58:29 am »

Am I doing something terribly wrong with my wizard?  I seem to have a ton of trouble doing damage on <>-tagged enemies, and everything else requires Nightmare or Element Scar for my arrows or bolts to do appreciable damage.  Meanwhile my Elea Wizard pet seems to have no trouble doing damage.  I've lasted this long because I have a charisma of 55 and am using it liberally, but it's not making my character stronger.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: April 04, 2013, 10:35:24 am »

Am I doing something terribly wrong with my wizard?
Thats your problem right there.
Unfortunately, the way the game is made requires you to burn through libraries worth of books to level up your damage and that only trains one spell.
I seem to recall that E+ did something to alleviate that but it's still bad.
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 291