Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 291

Author Topic: Elona  (Read 567082 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Elona
« Reply #2505 on: February 27, 2013, 02:20:26 am »

Does anyone have the link to the Elona + .zip download? Can't find it anywhere, or at least that's what the search engine says.

This should work.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: February 28, 2013, 04:16:28 am »

Wow. Just... wow, I think this game is out to get me due to what just happened and what happened throughout my game. Sure it PRETENDS it's fair by giving me a wish and yada yada, but this one takes the cake.

What is this amazing thing that happened to convince me you ask? Well, I was going to identify stuff, when ONE TILE away from the wizard he's assassinated. One tile. Out of all the other NPCs that could've died, it had to be him, and it had to be at that exact time. This is even worse than one of my pets dying to a well shortly after reviving him.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: February 28, 2013, 08:15:19 am »

I love NPCs getting assassinated. They can leave behind some great stuff.

Markus

• Bay Watcher
  • [Alignment:Lawful Bacon]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: February 28, 2013, 10:11:45 pm »

What is the requirement for an NPC to be assassinated, anyways? If I remember correctly, it's dependent upon the amount of Doomed equipment they have on, right?

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: February 28, 2013, 10:24:15 pm »

What is the requirement for an NPC to be assassinated, anyways? If I remember correctly, it's dependent upon the amount of Doomed equipment they have on, right?

http://elona.wikia.com/wiki/Curse

Only 1 equipped is needed. Multiples just speed up the process or make it more likely.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: March 01, 2013, 12:18:43 am »

Speaking of NPCs with curses, why do they get curses on their equipment over time exactly? It seems as time goes on, even the most boring of people just get more and more junk that's cursed.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: March 01, 2013, 02:28:35 am »

Sleeping most likely. They were too stupid to take the exorcist? feat.

's my theory anyway.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: March 01, 2013, 02:34:50 am »

If it gets really bad, you can pickpocket the cursed stuff off them. For some reason they can't take it off themselves, but you can just lift it right off of them.

Not sure if giving them scrolls of uncurse will work. It probably won't work because they're not that smart.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: March 01, 2013, 06:29:42 pm »

platinum

Wow. So I used cheat engine to overcome the platinum problem. Went around to each town buying up skills with the plan to train them to 200% potential, that being the starting point for skills a new character starts with.

It took thousands of platinum. I'm not even sure how many thousands because I gave myself 200-250 at a time thinking it would only take a couple hundred. No, it took so many times that I got bored pushing keys and stopped with several skills over 100. And I didn't even finish buying skills. I still have guild skills so tht's another couple hundred.

The platinum thing is way out of control in this game.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: March 01, 2013, 06:56:06 pm »

platinum

Wow. So I used cheat engine to overcome the platinum problem. Went around to each town buying up skills with the plan to train them to 200% potential, that being the starting point for skills a new character starts with.

It took thousands of platinum. I'm not even sure how many thousands because I gave myself 200-250 at a time thinking it would only take a couple hundred. No, it took so many times that I got bored pushing keys and stopped with several skills over 100. And I didn't even finish buying skills. I still have guild skills so tht's another couple hundred.

The platinum thing is way out of control in this game.
using plat for train skill is a bit of a waste for reasons you've just saw...really if you were going to do something like that, you could have just given yourself bonus points and used those, but overall i've found the most effective way of dealing with skills is to just use the bonus points from level ups and only use them on skills that drop below 50%

however...in my game...i now have 2 "good" ether disease...one that decreases DV by 55 but increases damage by 23(i still have 82 dv after this) and the other randomly sets weather to rain, which is great for training swimming...aka training speed.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: March 01, 2013, 06:58:50 pm »

The advice I've heard is to save the bonus points from leveling and use train skill on the low potential ones, and then train everything through use, like etg said.

And not many things have more than 100 of any skill, until you start messing around in South Tyris with the level 100+ regular enemies.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: March 01, 2013, 07:23:02 pm »

I find ten platinum to level new skills potential is generally more or less what you'll need, if you count bonuses from having a good bed which can add 10+% a night you shouldn't find an issue with the potential. Even with huge potential [150+%] it takes for-goddamn-ever to level skills at a certain point, though, so it's probably best to just save it for buying the skills and then sleeping a bunch [especially good if you get potential adding dreams!] with a good bed.

I currently have 4 pets [50 Chutzpah hooo!], each with 100+ DV/PV. Know the bad part? They still aren't helpful in 20+ level dungeons. I've been engineering them, too. There's simply got to be a better way to make allies useful mid-game, the damage-equipment types are ruining them, mostly because they keep melting my artifact equipment since they're so stupid with it.

I get to solo the Minotaur Nest now, wish me luck.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 07:25:11 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: March 01, 2013, 07:33:35 pm »

You could make it acidproof by dipping said artifacts in acidproof potions or using material-changing scrolls to get materials that are acidproof by default.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: March 01, 2013, 07:39:15 pm »

Even just buying skills and not increasing potential works out to a couple hundred platinum. I remember when I originally elona, without cheating, feeling like the vast majority of my ply time was spent simply grinding sidequests. Now I know why.

As for pets, I've read  lot of good things about them, but personally I found them to generally not be worth the trouble. It seems to take a lot of energy to make them useful and I generally found it to be far more effective and much less effort to simply develop a heavy armor gunner who can walk into most places and hold down the fire button until things stop moving.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: March 01, 2013, 08:02:02 pm »

My pets certainly make the game far easier for me.

They block melee enemies, they distract others from me (player death is far, far worse than a pet death and I'm possibly the heaviest hitter), they serve as a place to drop the stuff I don't want to use but would never/don't want to give away, and in some cases they're really powerful. For example, I think my Little Girl I had since the beginning is a higher level than me. And in a battle versus 7 level 15 or so enemies in a pet battle, they won (despite being roughly 16, 10, 10, and 8 respectively).

They are especially useful with my Shaking Bow, which teleports enemies to me, where my pets promptly smack down the teleported enemy the same turn.
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 291