Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 291

Author Topic: Elona  (Read 567128 times)

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
Re: Elona
« Reply #2475 on: February 22, 2013, 06:27:53 pm »

Completely against all 1 piece of advice I got (sorry Alkhemia), I went with Yacatect, and I must say:
Combined with Anatomy, Yacatect's ability (makes you find enemy body parts, figurines, and cards more) is filling up my inventory. Like to the point I can't even pick stuff up anymore because I have too many items. Each of these body parts/figurines/cards sells for around 500 each and there are like 30 of them, so basically in addition to the 20k from the boss, each dungeon nets me another 15k.

In short, Yacatect of Wealth makes you wealthy. Who would have thought.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: February 22, 2013, 07:50:03 pm »

what god(dess, I suppose) would you guys pick, Lulwy or Yacatect?

I'm definitely never going to need Kumiromi or Ehekatl.

Kumiromi was always my preference when I played the original version. However...looking at plus, Yacatect gives platinum. Without having actually played plus long enough to see just how much platinum she gives...the fact that she does might make her vastly preferable to any other god.

Note that you can of course switch gods, with a limit of two god pets max. So you could worship Yacatect until she gives both the goose that lays platinum and the amulet that generates 10 platinum every month, then switch to Lulwy, if you wanted.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: February 22, 2013, 08:20:07 pm »

Yup, working on Yacatect now. Side note: In Elona+, you can have as many god pets as your faith skill divided by 10, so choosing which god pets to keep is easier.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: February 24, 2013, 08:05:05 pm »

Downloaded plus and started playing. I'd forgotten how annoyingly harsh Elona is to new characters.

Low level monsters that are totally unhittable, high spell failure rates, getting hungry or sleepy every couple minutes, inconsistent exceptions to the "no permanent stat loss until level 6" limit, regular overland weather that causes you to go blind and confused and lose control of your character, random semi-permanent highly crippling etherwind mutations...the list goes on.

This is not as fun as I remember.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: February 24, 2013, 08:43:53 pm »

The cash loss from death is pretty significant too. Never be afraid to run for your life. Always have some kind of teleportation handy, be it scrolls, rods, the actual teleportation spell, or the Dimensional Move ability.
Kitty banks, man. Those things are great. Finding one without stealing it from *INSERT THAT ONE TOWN HERE* is pretty difficult, though.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #2480 on: February 24, 2013, 08:47:26 pm »

The Etherwind does have a specified date although I forget exactly what it is and it's not consistant. It's like every fifth day on an even numbered month? Jut be near town when that day rolls by and you should be fine. Also if your stats are red they're not permanantly lowered, you can fix that with a healer. Other then that, yes.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: February 24, 2013, 09:06:02 pm »

if your stats are red they're not permanantly lowered, you can fix that with a healer. Other then that, yes.

Plus appears to handle death penalties differently. Kind of looks like a bug, actually. I'm pretty sure in original elona, deaths during quests didn't count as deaths in terms of stat/gold loss. You can could killed during performance/hunting/harvest quests all you wanted. Whereas in plus, not only are they counted as deaths, they also count as a death and apply permanent stat loss even if you're under level 6 and supposedly under new player protection.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: February 24, 2013, 09:56:05 pm »

In Elona+ you lose charisma and will if you die in those quests. I think our potential gets increased to make up for your stat loss, though, so it's like getting a refund from useful stats to slightly-less useful potential.

If you really can't handle etherwind, get a cloak of Vindale, or be an Elea, or both. It specifically happens in the first 10 days of every 3rd month (so the beginning of 3 6 9 and 12 you will want to be near/in town).

Regarding heavy rain being a huge pain in the ass, you can wish for/find (wishing is easier but I have found one off some kind of lich enemy before) an aurora ring. They prevent you from getting confused (not blinded though so you still have to know which way to go) in heavy rain, stop you from randomly taking extra time to walk through snow, and also give you some sound resistance and a bit of DV/PV. They're pretty nice.

And this may be subjective/plain wrong, but in Elona+ it feels like guns are easier to use. Probably on account of the mod adding Firearm skill to everybody in the world. You can grab a machine gun and an energy cell, read a few change material scrolls (blessings on scrolls optional) and suddenly have adamantium machine guns that shoot people for 10d4 damage and have a hit bonus of like 20. Guns are pretty good.

Basically wish for stuff as soon as you can. Seven league boots + aurora ring + cloak of vindale = don't really worry about weather/travel ever

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: February 24, 2013, 11:27:36 pm »

And this may be subjective/plain wrong, but in Elona+ it feels like guns are easier to use. Probably on account of the mod adding Firearm skill to everybody in the world. You can grab a machine gun and an energy cell, read a few change material scrolls (blessings on scrolls optional) and suddenly have adamantium machine guns that shoot people for 10d4 damage and have a hit bonus of like 20. Guns are pretty good.

It may be subjective, but I agree with you. Given that Elona+ unlocks the Gunner class for PCs and gives the Gunner class a passive chance to double-shot, guns are stupidly good (particularly in the early game).

Having a Gunner worship Yacatect and learn Anatomy, and you're pressing F through dungeons for massive amounts of gold. Add to that all the options that Yacatect has for gaining Platinum, and you've got a powerhouse of a gun user very quickly. I've never even had a build come close to Gunner/Yacatect/Anatomy for shortest amount of time from start to Small Castle.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: February 25, 2013, 12:03:16 am »

Original elona was the same way. I remember playing my character for a week or two as a fighter/mage, then eventually getting around to unlocking firearms, and within a few hours she was a better gunner than she was at anything else. High damage, no needing to run up to monsters to hit them like melee weapons, no running out of mana, no running out of spell charges, zero failure rate, and fewer keypresses than magic and no minimum range penalty to compensate. No reason to be anything else, really.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: February 25, 2013, 01:01:42 am »

Is the new Elona the same as the old one in terms of "The worst thing you can do is gain a level"

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: February 25, 2013, 01:37:45 am »

I assume the basic mechanic is the same, but I haven't really noticed it. But then I don't remember it being a big del in the original either. I think the level scaling was generally overstated on the forum. As long as you understand that gaining levels doesn't meaningfully increase your power...gainingskills does, then you're pretty much ok. I don't think it's necessary to avoid leveling. Instead, when you're trying to make your character more powerful, grind skills (and platinum) rather than levels and you'll be fine. You'll gain levels in the process, but it's not a big deal.

The thing to avoid is being a new character without all the secondary support skills, spending hours just killing things and shooting up levels. You need to pick up tactics, eye of mind, evasion, and all the other support skills, or else your'e wasting a lot of potential power growth when you gain those levels.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: February 25, 2013, 01:52:26 am »

You got the range penalty backwards up there, LB: magic doesn't care about range, but different tanged weapons (minus laser pistols and thrown weapons) deal different damage percentages depending on the distance from you. They're covered in the ingame help manual, and they're probably on the wiki too.

Only thing changed about ranged weapon damage distances between Elona and + is that a new class of firearm, sniper rifles, was added, and nobody knows the damage spread for those... if you can call that a change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: February 25, 2013, 02:00:05 am »

The thing to avoid is being a new character without all the secondary support skills, spending hours just killing things and shooting up levels. You need to pick up tactics, eye of mind, evasion, and all the other support skills, or else your'e wasting a lot of potential power growth when you gain those levels.

Yeah so it is exactly the same. Avoid leveling up as much as possible because you want more skill for less levels.

Though I still remember the Golem I once made. Golems are honestly underrated in the original Elona. You just had to get a good mount.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #2489 on: February 25, 2013, 02:03:29 am »

Yeah Dim immunity is crazy useful. And they started out with mining if I recall, which is a great way to gain Constitution.
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 291