Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 291

Author Topic: Elona  (Read 567165 times)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Re: Elona
« Reply #2160 on: June 27, 2012, 03:59:04 am »

I'm not sure, I think I recall hearing something about dungeon prizes giving them sometimes? Boss drops, etc. Could be really rare for all we know though.

Also all animals have a very small chance to breed into a different animal for no discernable reason.

Frostbite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: June 27, 2012, 07:55:20 am »

I feel like playing something different , What class is fun to play but still can be useful later on?.. i dont feel like playing any of the melee or ranged type classes like i leveled before..

I tried pianist before and it was meh
Wizard i hear can be useful but again isn't that just grinding in a dungeon?
are the other classes even viable?

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: June 27, 2012, 08:10:59 am »

I feel like playing something different , What class is fun to play but still can be useful later on?.. i dont feel like playing any of the melee or ranged type classes like i leveled before..

I tried pianist before and it was meh
Wizard i hear can be useful but again isn't that just grinding in a dungeon?
are the other classes even viable?
Dunno if it has changed in the fan versions, but wizards problem is that you level up each spell individually by using it, which means you need a truckload of spellbooks.
Though you can order a bunch of them from the mage guild

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: June 29, 2012, 03:43:24 pm »

Puppy cave. You can basically farm the first level, and you'll usually get spells that you can learn/cast.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: June 29, 2012, 03:55:44 pm »

Puppy cave. You can basically farm the first level, and you'll usually get spells that you can learn/cast.
...isn't that just grinding in a dungeon?
It is very much grinding.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: June 30, 2012, 02:34:50 am »

Is it just my luck, or is RNG in Elona+ having a lot wider range of possible results?

My new character is still pretty weak, so the dungeons I've been diving into is of very, very low level - like 2.

Yet, from the non-hostile little girl boss, I got these:

(Godly)

(Miracle)

I also found Unknown Shell in the same dungeon. Two levels before the little girl boss there's a Big Daddy (I couldn't possibly defeat him, so I didn't try).

Earlier I found a potion of cure corruption and Herme's Blood.

Now there's a Hard Gay in my horse ranch too...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 02:48:35 am by kcwong »

Singularity125

• Bay Watcher
  • [GAMING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: June 30, 2012, 11:27:10 am »

I see items like that here and there. With my luck, though, they're never of the type I'd use. I never use axes or stones on my characters, for example. I'd probably keep the stone for Performing, though. That invoke on it is a rare thing for me to see, though.

However, I have to agree that the RNG seems more open -- I had a "Search the remains" random event the other day that landed me a potion of descent. Now that's something I'd never seen in Elona before, despite hundreds of hours on 1.22. This event was also in a low-level dungeon.

A little off-topic, but my favorite item I'd ever found for a character was my Yerles Farmer finding a shotgun with "Invokes Draw Shadow (####)". Hence I'd shoot them from far away, which did little damage but drew them into melee range, and then BLAM! It was glorious. I don't think I even have that character anymore, sadly... I tended to start over with each new version, sometimes for fun and sometimes for compatibility reasons.

Frostbite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: June 30, 2012, 11:07:31 pm »

noob question ...

Rng?... what is that

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: June 30, 2012, 11:09:40 pm »

noob question ...

Rng?... what is that

Random Number God. The program that the computer uses to decide what randomness happens in a game.

Anyways, I have a computer with a number pad to use now! What version is best for a new player? Reading this thread, ELM and Elona+ seem like the big ones, but I'm not sure what has untranslated junk, and if that would or wouldn't be a problem for me.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

joemoben

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: June 30, 2012, 11:12:25 pm »

Elona+ generally just has the classes missing in English, so that should work just fine.
Something about this game makes me wonder why God lets it exist.
Say, if you give birth on a ranch and then murder your baby will a corpse drop be guaranteed?

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: July 01, 2012, 12:01:14 am »

Hmm, why doesn't anyone want these 'lots of alcohols' I found? Read that it was a good way to get money but nobody seems to be impressed with myself.

Ah, turned out just that alcohol didn't work. Took me a while to figure out that the Innkeeper, and not the Barkeep, is where you get the stuff though.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 12:55:52 am by quinnr »
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: July 01, 2012, 01:02:03 am »

Hmm, why doesn't anyone want these 'lots of alcohols' I found? Read that it was a good way to get money but nobody seems to be impressed with myself.

Those "A lot of XXX" are not potions... they are furniture. Place them at your home to increase house rank (which leads to higher salary).

If you got spare scrolls of inferior material, you can use them on furniture that do not already have a material type to increase their values.
e.g. A horn -> A woodwork horn

Check your House Board and see which item you should upgrade for the most effect.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 01:03:45 am by kcwong »

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: July 01, 2012, 04:03:40 am »

Anyone tried the new crafting system?

You need a pot of fusion, randomly available as loot or in general store:

(Between my character and my little girl)

You choose a recipe, then add items from a filtered list of your inventory. At first there's a chance to fail, as you keep using the recipe the chance becomes 100%.

The bag next to the recipe means you have all items required. Red lightning means impossible, blue orb means perfect.

My character had been going straight to the crafting skills; but leveling up them are slow, since I can't dive into too many dungeons yet, the existing ones are too high level.

I've been looking at the same page of recipes since the beginning... anyone know if there will be more as you level up your crafting skills?

Singularity125

• Bay Watcher
  • [GAMING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: July 01, 2012, 11:07:15 am »

Found some site, I think it's a mirror of 4-chan, talking about Elona. They claim that crafting is god-mode, particularly the second "Unknown seed" in that picture. It's mistranslated: what it actually is is an herbal mixture that you can Mix with food for all the bonus stat boosts. Including consistent increases to speed. Of course it takes some herbs to make, but the amount of gardening and cooking required (30 gardening and 20 cooking, IIRC) ought to mean you have a bunch at your farm anyway.

This is all rehashed speculation of course. I've yet to find one of those myself. My character doesn't even know how to cook yet, anyway. >.>

Oh, and I keep a close eye on the thread in the Elona forums about the Java port. Everyone was saying they'd need to ask Noa about redistribution rules, but nobody was doing it. So I took the liberty of asking. Seriously, he's just another human being, he won't bite your head off. :D Anyway, long story short they're fine to distribute the Java executable and, if jdstroy actually wants to (which is hard to tell sometimes, honestly), he could distribute the Java source code, too. Very excited to see where he takes this project. :)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: July 01, 2012, 11:15:16 am »

Found some site, I think it's a mirror of 4-chan, talking about Elona. They claim that crafting is god-mode, particularly the second "Unknown seed" in that picture. It's mistranslated: what it actually is is an herbal mixture that you can Mix with food for all the bonus stat boosts. Including consistent increases to speed. Of course it takes some herbs to make, but the amount of gardening and cooking required (30 gardening and 20 cooking, IIRC) ought to mean you have a bunch at your farm anyway.

This is all rehashed speculation of course. I've yet to find one of those myself. My character doesn't even know how to cook yet, anyway. >.>

Oh, and I keep a close eye on the thread in the Elona forums about the Java port. Everyone was saying they'd need to ask Noa about redistribution rules, but nobody was doing it. So I took the liberty of asking. Seriously, he's just another human being, he won't bite your head off. :D Anyway, long story short they're fine to distribute the Java executable and, if jdstroy actually wants to (which is hard to tell sometimes, honestly), he could distribute the Java source code, too. Very excited to see where he takes this project. :)

That's actually pretty exciting. A Java port would mean that it would be cross-platform, and I'd be able to use it on my laptop. The game has been pretty fun so far, and I don't think it would be impossible to play it without a number pad, now that I've gotten the hang of the controls and everything.
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 291