Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 291

Author Topic: Elona  (Read 586490 times)

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
Re: Elona
« Reply #3765 on: April 27, 2014, 07:57:38 pm »

hm...just how much performance is needed for party time quests? I just tried with a grand piano and 21 skill...couldn't even get half the score...
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3766 on: April 27, 2014, 08:01:07 pm »

In my experience, you really need at least mid 30s before you start finishing them reliably. Otherwise look for the big groups of beggars and if there isn't any, just kill some npcs for artifacts.

Though if you are serious about perfomance quests, get yourself a set +performance gear.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3767 on: April 27, 2014, 08:17:09 pm »

Alright, thanks, everyone. I knew you could go in between regions freely, I just meant sticking around in South Tyris more. I've been getting water out of the distillation recipe. I meant my own AP so I'll just grab Barrier first because it seems like a perfect fit for me, and then grab a bunch of speed boosts after. I'll also keep my eyes open on the strange scientist's quest.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Singularity125

• Bay Watcher
  • [GAMING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3768 on: April 28, 2014, 01:39:50 pm »

I have trouble reading treasure maps. How do you guys figure out where stiff is.

I saw 1.35rl. Its hard to tell from the translation what changed

Actually Elona+ is up to 1.36R2 now. The biggest change seems to be that you can "pair up" with a pet and stand in the same square. The system sort of reminds me of a similar feature that's in Fire Emblem: Awakening. But I haven't played it myself to see how it works out. I tend to be the type to do without pets anyway... too much micromanagement for me.

As for maps, you can also use the reference of North Tyris that's on the wiki and try to find the spot that way. That continent is largely unchanged from vanilla Elona.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3769 on: May 01, 2014, 06:46:19 am »

Considering having another run at this.
Though looking over the comments at the wiki, the recent patches seems a bit buggy so does anyone know which version would be the most stable one?

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #3770 on: May 01, 2014, 02:17:55 pm »

Considering having another run at this.
Though looking over the comments at the wiki, the recent patches seems a bit buggy so does anyone know which version would be the most stable one?
Outside of using preaching I don't think its that buggy.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3771 on: May 02, 2014, 04:29:41 am »

I somehow managed to get a thief up to level 15, with a level 2 house and level 13 wiafu on permadeath mode. Now, if he dies, he can have children to inherent his mediocre artifact daggers.

On a side note, new version apparently has ballistas: They're kinda like the machine guns of nethack: they hit like trains if you find one as say, an archer, but are impractical to carry around.
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3772 on: May 02, 2014, 09:10:06 am »

I am getting the itch to play this game again after a long time now but I'm unsure where to get the newest version. I'm guessing I want the Elona+ one, but do I need or want anything else?

Also, I've got characters since earlier (various mods and vanilla) which I'm guessing I won't be able to use and I don't really mind since I'd like a fresh start. But can I perhaps still do inheritance from them or will it screw me over? I'd like to carry over some items and the like for when I'm past the early game. Maybe it's something I will notice early in the game with any luck if that is the case.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3773 on: May 02, 2014, 09:38:07 am »

I can't say if another mod character can be loaded into E+, but vanilla works just fine.
It would probably be possible to do inheritance from legacy characters aslong as none of the items are due to a mod.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3774 on: May 02, 2014, 10:56:11 am »

Yes, using the inheritance system is a good way to start over when moving from possibly incompatible versions. I've tested it moving forward and even backward with a E+ 1.21 save and inherited stuff to a new vanilla elona character. Just make sure what you are inheriting exists in the version you are moving too, especially if you are backtracking or moving from a mod to vanilla. I've got a nice list of exceptional artifacts that I've been moving with me through my chars. Some found on my earliest chars in vanilla, some a good deal more recent with my e+ adventures.

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3775 on: May 02, 2014, 09:52:05 pm »

Wait, Nethack has machine guns!? Or is that Slash'em?

Up on closer inspection, I am mistaken, and it is Slash'em that has the MGs. I once killed the Wizard of Yendor that way; wasn't very practical, given that it wasted a lot of ammunition, yet was satisfying as all Gehennom.
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3776 on: May 03, 2014, 03:21:40 am »

Say. what modifies the amount of platinum coins one gets from quest?, level or fame?

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3777 on: May 03, 2014, 04:19:43 am »

I think it's the type and the difficulty.  I've been getting about 5 for Panic and Challenge if they are blue.  I always get one for Party Time.  I've got enough fame to appear on the first page of the adventurer list, which is about 100k.  I'm pretty sure fame is what determines the available job difficulty range.  I'm not sure if it is fame or level that determines what the colors are.   I currently only get green and blue, but remember there being brown and red when I started out.  They range from $$$ to about 11$.  I don't remember what some of that means, but I'm guessing the color is relative to the player, and the $ count is objective for measuring difficulty when compared to jobs of the same name.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3778 on: May 03, 2014, 06:51:08 am »

Well, I've had 15$+ quests though i do not recall how many coins on those. But I am also getting 3 coins from birthday quests and the other easy ones.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3779 on: May 03, 2014, 02:23:11 pm »

I think the color and $ number on quests changes depending on how strong you are. For example, you probably won't be seeing any drakes or chess pieces in green $$ hunting quests, but these days I get plenty. The game probably measures your power/fame and shows the difficulty relative to you. Or something. Basically what Ogdibus said.

Also, I know Panic! and Challenge quests are guaranteed to give at least 2, but I dunno about everything else.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 291