Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 291

Author Topic: Elona  (Read 567193 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Elona
« Reply #3750 on: April 20, 2014, 11:30:52 am »

I wonder if the same mechanic works for treasure maps.  Better treasure map loot on lucky days?
I'd probably run this to the max by keeping Mica gear purely for loot generation.  Mica Suit Away!

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3751 on: April 20, 2014, 01:00:24 pm »

I believe rewards are generated at the point of conception. Meaning: You'd need to have the 'Lucky day' bonus activated before venturing into a dungeon level, generating a chest under the luck you had at that point. I'm pretty sure, atleast.

I've done testing with this at Palmia & the treasure ball machines. I've found my drops are significantly better if I activate the treasure ball machines with Lucky Day activated, as opposed to opening previously-gained treasure balls with a now-activated Lucky Day bonus. I'm pretty sure this is a recent change, mind you. I remember saving my treasure balls/chests/safes for whenever I'd get Lucky Day bonuses before E+. Now the [range of] rewards for chests and such are generated upon creation of the object, like mentioned before. More luck when generating item = better drops. The drops always have a range of quality, though, which is noticeable if you save-scum before opening something like a Pyramid chest.

I think on the whole 'treasure map reward' you'd need Lucky Day before digging up the chest itself, not before reading the map. I dunno, though, that could've also been changed with the reward generation scheme. I might need to test that. I always wait to do Treasure digging till I have the Lucky Day bonus, by the way. Most systems in Elona are so opaque it's best to err on the side of cheeseing to be able to progress.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 01:03:45 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

MCipher

• Bay Watcher
  • The worlding of the words is AMARANTH.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3752 on: April 23, 2014, 07:19:20 pm »

What does it mean when "You found (petname) sleeping next to you indistinguishably," then you get options like "Stroke Softly, Kick out of bed, act like a spoiled child or Sleep without minding?"
No longer at critical sig mass!
OOC: Hans Panda: Everyone's going to die. That's how they usually end.
OOC: Hans Panda: I try not to run them that way.
OOC: Hans Panda: But apparently when I'm the villain, I'm too efficient.
OOC: Hans Panda: Even when I monologue.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3753 on: April 23, 2014, 07:34:44 pm »

That's new in the latest version of Elona+ (1.36R something?).

Nobody knows what it means or whether it has an effect yet, it seems.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3754 on: April 26, 2014, 12:31:48 pm »

I have trouble reading treasure maps. How do you guys figure out where stiff is.

I saw 1.35rl. Its hard to tell from the translation what changed

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile
« Reply #3755 on: April 26, 2014, 12:36:54 pm »

Sorry probably a stupid question but how do I put the graphic pack in? I already extracted it but how do I overwrite the graphic files that are already provided from installing the base game?
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3756 on: April 26, 2014, 01:05:15 pm »

I have trouble reading treasure maps. How do you guys figure out where stiff is.
Can't really help there, besides just some normal tips: look for landmarks like trees, flowers, mountains, glowing areas (that means there's a dungeon/town there), and you can look around the world map with *.

Sorry probably a stupid question but how do I put the graphic pack in? I already extracted it but how do I overwrite the graphic files that are already provided from installing the base game?
Drop them into the graphic folder. The main thing is character.bmp but I've seen a graphics pack replace other UI elements.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile
« Reply #3757 on: April 26, 2014, 01:17:14 pm »

What about the standard graphics? Do I delete them or what?
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3758 on: April 26, 2014, 01:45:05 pm »

Just overwrite them. If you've already put your new files in with the right name, it should work.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3759 on: April 26, 2014, 01:49:48 pm »

I saw 1.35rl. Its hard to tell from the translation what changed

I open up a full image of the world map (the wiki has one, I believe) and painstakingly compare the treasure map to the world map. Usually coasts and roads can be relatively obvious, but even trees and shrubs can be useful. (Though I think E+ changes some of the worldmap tiles so the wiki map is not 100% accurate. For example, there'll still be a tree in the same place, but E+ might show 3 trees on the tile while the old world map shows only 1, or something.)

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3760 on: April 26, 2014, 01:57:26 pm »

Yeah, don't use the map with labels as it's different from the newer versions of vanilla Elona's map. Make sure the map you're looking at has a South Tyris border before you start treasure hunting.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #3761 on: April 26, 2014, 06:47:26 pm »

so...somewhere it was added that pets can ride you, when you use the riding skill the first option is riding the pet, 2nd option is the pet rides you...this was in 1.36R2
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 12:09:50 am by etgfrog »
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3762 on: April 27, 2014, 01:15:24 am »

A few questions:

1. How much AP should I save before moving to South Tyris? I have arond 1700 now but I feel like I should go to the Void or something to farm more after Shiramizu's posts.

2. What should I spend all that AP on? Speed boosts, I presume?

3. Do Magic Storm, Crystal Spear, Dark Eye, or any other magic attack ever start outdoing Magic Dart? I feel like Nerve and Dark Eye are catching up in terms of dice, and the elemental bolts are starting to surpass it, but those are all reliant on hexes to lower resistances. Both elemental and hex resistance are super high on bosses, so I feel like if I just spammed Magic Dart instead of trying to get Nightmare or Element Scar off, I'd be able to take things out faster. Meanwhile, the two other magic-type attacks are just weak right now, and more expensive in gold and MP. If I level them up, they may get more powerful but they'll also get even costlier. On the other hand, higher level enemies' resistances also all scale up, including magic...

4. What should I save small medals for? I'm thinking either the tonfa or Sage's Helm, but I'm not really sure I'd use either. I've heard good things about the Diablo but how does it compare to, say, the Mournblade? How about a sweet artifact sword?

5. How do you go about getting these sweet artifacts anyway? I mean, I find plenty of great and miracle quality items off quests and salaries and the like, but I only spot good things on black markets and adventurers very rarely.

6. What should I choose as a reward from the little sisters quest? I've read that hero cheeses and the mana-boosting food (I forgot, sorry) are the only good choices unless you've lost a precious item or something, but I've also heard hoping for miracle stuff can net you some nice gear too.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #3763 on: April 27, 2014, 04:14:23 pm »

A few questions:

1. How much AP should I save before moving to South Tyris? I have arond 1700 now but I feel like I should go to the Void or something to farm more after Shiramizu's posts.

3. Do Magic Storm, Crystal Spear, Dark Eye, or any other magic attack ever start outdoing Magic Dart? I feel like Nerve and Dark Eye are catching up in terms of dice, and the elemental bolts are starting to surpass it, but those are all reliant on hexes to lower resistances. Both elemental and hex resistance are super high on bosses, so I feel like if I just spammed Magic Dart instead of trying to get Nightmare or Element Scar off, I'd be able to take things out faster. Meanwhile, the two other magic-type attacks are just weak right now, and more expensive in gold and MP. If I level them up, they may get more powerful but they'll also get even costlier. On the other hand, higher level enemies' resistances also all scale up, including magic...

4. What should I save small medals for? I'm thinking either the tonfa or Sage's Helm, but I'm not really sure I'd use either. I've heard good things about the Diablo but how does it compare to, say, the Mournblade? How about a sweet artifact sword?

5. How do you go about getting these sweet artifacts anyway? I mean, I find plenty of great and miracle quality items off quests and salaries and the like, but I only spot good things on black markets and adventurers very rarely.

6. What should I choose as a reward from the little sisters quest? I've read that hero cheeses and the mana-boosting food (I forgot, sorry) are the only good choices unless you've lost a precious item or something, but I've also heard hoping for miracle stuff can net you some nice gear too.
1. You are free to move back and forth between north and south tyris, it isn't a one time move. Remember though, you can only store 3000

2. Speed is always good however it will make gaining ap again a bit harder. Barrier is good if you have a large mana pool and high magic control.

3. Dark eye is used for the status effects it gives, crystal spear and magic storm are aoe and shouldn't be out damaging a single target spell. But having a high level elemental scar can let you do more damage quickly then just spamming magic dart. Its a balancing act of knowing what works best in what situation. But you are right, you can just keep magic dart and use it practically forever.

4. small medals...oh boy, this one is up in the air about what is best to get. I like getting bottles of water to bless equipment initially. Getting a hammer to make a seven league boots an artifact is a good idea too. Just be warned that the stats that the hammer gives is pre-generated generated onto the hammer when the map is loaded. Hermes blood is good to get as well.

5. Dungeons, the final rewards in dungeons gives some of the best artifacts that I've found.

6. Hero cheese is almost always good...although I'm wanting to say the happy apple is a good pick as luck is...well luck, increases the odds of finding good equipment.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 04:21:24 pm by etgfrog »
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3764 on: April 27, 2014, 05:38:17 pm »

A few questions:

1. As has been said you can travel back and forth freely. No need to worry about saving ap before reaching south tyris. Though if you want ap purely for boosting your speed I do suggest you save as much as possible before you spend it. As your speed increases it gets progressively harder to gain more ap. You can get around the 3000 ap cap and store a little over 7000 ap if you take advantage of buying the barrier skill and the other 2000 ap skill that lets you get a full refund on them when you don't want them anymore. My lil girl is at 500 base speed now, and I have to take her fairly deep into the void to get any ap.

2. Speed boosts are probably one of the better picks, but there are a handful of situational skills that might be handy to have depending on your pet.

3. I haven't really tried using much offensive magic in E+, fraid I can't help you much. Though I was doing pretty well with the nightmare+nerve arrow combo back in vanilla. Could solo spiral kings and such with it, though it took a long long long time to kill.

4. I prefer hermes bloods for my small medal usage. The unique artfacts can be nice and may be worth the one time purchase cost. Though a hammer is handy if you have a worthy enough non-artifact item to use it on, bit of a gamble though unless you don't mind scumming it. Waters are a waste of medals though if you have a pot of fusion already. The recipe to make the bottles of water is easy enough to get.

5. No real way I've noticed. Just keep doing everything you do to get random artifacts. And one of these days you'll luck out and the rng will roll something exceptionally worthwhile. I find tons of junk artifacts before I find a nice one capable of truly wowing someone.

6. Hero cheese, mana food, happy apples are good picks. But you can keep rerolling the rewards and occasionally get a really nice random artifact. Godly equipment can come up in the reward list, just depends on your patience. It can take a lot of rerolls.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 05:44:45 pm by Patchy »
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 291