Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wow, I've really hit a wall  (Read 1592 times)

randyshipp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wow, I've really hit a wall
« on: April 22, 2011, 04:32:51 pm »

Everything was going pretty well, but now I've hit a VERY frustrating wall where things have basically stopped working well and I have NO idea why.  My last set of migrants bumped me up to 74 dwarfs, so I understand there'll probably be a fair number of idlers.  But what's amazing and maddening is that I have so many idle workshops now.  I've been unable to coax a metalsmith (to make a cage) or a weaponsmith (to make crossbows) into my metalworking forge for what seems like almost a year.  I have legendary craftsmen who now sit in the dining area -- or in a random, non-bed square in their bedrooms -- for hours it seems like with No Job.  I use Therapist.  I'm looking at a guy with only two labors enabled, period: Weaponsmithing and Furnace Operating.  There are copper bars in my stock.  There are charcoal bars.  There's a forge with four Forge Copper Crossbow jobs queued up.  And he sits there in the dining room.  Not eating.  Not drinking.  Not attending a party.  Just sitting.  He's happy.  I'm not.

Any idea what I could have done to so fuck up my fort in the space of an afternoon?  I like a challenge, but not one that just feels like a malfunction with no clues how to troubleshoot it.
Randy...

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
Re: Wow, I've really hit a wall
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 04:42:12 pm »

did you assign them to a burrow where they can't reach the workshops?
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Jeremy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 04:43:37 pm »

Or might you have put any restrictions on your workshops?

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 04:57:54 pm »

Sometimes jobs dont get "seen" by dwarves. Try canceling the jobs in the workshop and requeing them. Alternativly use the Jobs screen (j>m>q I think's the command)
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

randyshipp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 04:59:28 pm »

Or might you have put any restrictions on your workshops?

Umm.  I have a nagging feeling I should check that.  :-/  Thanks.
Randy...

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 05:01:44 pm »

My personal advice would be to set the popcap lower than 200, incidentally. It doesn't directly address your current issue, but I tend to find there's a point at which more dwarves is less fun.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 05:10:19 pm »

Are the workshops forbidden?

randyshipp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 05:18:52 pm »

I think it was a skill limitation on the forge.  I still haven't seen anyone start working there, but I think I will.  I'll scream again if not. ;-)
Randy...

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 06:24:28 pm »

Could be worse, you could have 74 dwarves of whom 37 are children...there are production orders several years old that haven't been touched because we only have 24 adult laborers.  The rest are soldiers.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 07:53:34 pm »

If you recently used the Stocks screen to forbid a material type for any reason, you may have accidentally forbidden the material the workshops are made from. Try using [t], then highlighting the workshop, to see if that's the case.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 08:08:55 pm »

I had this today. Half of my dwarves weren't eating and I had entire sections of cavern designated to be mined that had been untouched for years.

The reason was that I'd accidentally removed part of my main staircase, separating everyone in the lower fortress from the food store at the top.

I felt stupid.
[Signature]

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 08:24:35 pm »

My personal advice would be to set the popcap lower than 200, incidentally. It doesn't directly address your current issue, but I tend to find there's a point at which more dwarves is less fun.

Yeah, I agree with that.  I run with the following and my forts stay playable, but there's still enough bodies around (it usually levels off at around 135-150 total) to get things done.

data/init/d_init.txt
[POPULATION_CAP:125]
[BABY_CHILD_CAP:25:1000]

randyshipp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 10:39:25 pm »

Can those settings be changed AFTER embark?  In other words, if I edit d_init.txt now, will it change the rules in mid-game?  Thanks.
Randy...

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 10:44:55 pm »

Yes. Beware that it's not an exact hard cap, you'll frequently end up with ~20 more dwarfs than you set in the file.

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 11:01:35 pm »

If you recently used the Stocks screen to forbid a material type for any reason, you may have accidentally forbidden the material the workshops are made from. Try using [t], then highlighting the workshop, to see if that's the case.

This is why I only use stone blocks for building workshops.
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*
Pages: [1] 2