Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Effin Cage Traps, How do they work?  (Read 1160 times)

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
Effin Cage Traps, How do they work?
« on: April 21, 2011, 07:58:41 pm »

So, according to the wiki, the way to keep Urist McSuicide from reloading a cage trap in a dangerous situation is to forbid the trap. Okay, then...

How?

I tried forbidding the cage--no luck. There doesn't appear to be any way to actually forbid the cage trap. So what does one do?
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Effin Cage Traps, How do they work?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 08:02:19 pm »

[t] it and forbid whatever mechanism you used to build over it.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 08:02:53 pm »

So, according to the wiki, the way to keep Urist McSuicide from reloading a cage trap in a dangerous situation is to forbid the trap. Okay, then...

How?

I tried forbidding the cage--no luck. There doesn't appear to be any way to actually forbid the cage trap. So what does one do?

Either 't' and then forbid the Mechanism in the Cage-Trap, or just bulk-forbid the whole tile with 'd' - 'b' - 'f'. Either one works.
Never pet a burning dog.

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 08:10:46 pm »

Thanks. Even after playing this game for months I forget how obtuse it can be.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 08:17:58 pm »

Or use burrows + military alerts.  Mechanics will not leave the set of active burrows to reload anything. 

Which requires that you setup burrows (I procrastinate until the first ambush) and use the military alerts screen to turn the alert on when an ambush/siege happens.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 08:21:15 pm »

Or use burrows + military alerts.  Mechanics will not leave the set of active burrows to reload anything. 

This works, but it still generates reloading jobs which immediately get cancelled... resulting in message-spam about "Cancels task, forbidden area".

Better to just forbid the filled Cage and the trap Mechanism, so no jobs are generated in the first place.
Never pet a burning dog.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 08:32:53 pm »

You could also put a door between wherever the alert burrow is and the traps, and lock it. Unlike burrows, they won't be trying and failing a job continuously.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 11:32:25 pm »

Actually they work just like magnets.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Abyss, Holder of Light

• Bay Watcher
  • [DARK_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 07:47:30 am »

Actually they work just like magnets.

Effin' magnets, how do they work?

It has been known to gobbos/elves/humans that the dwarven cage trap is the greatest anti-intruder trap, provided you do not have the [TRAPAVOID] tag.

Offtopic: I love your name.
Clearly now all we need added are dogs with bees in their mouths and when they bark they shoot bees at you. Thus we can release them along with the dogs & bees themselves when unwelcome guests come to your fortress.

And then lock the door.