Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Decent rooms  (Read 3130 times)

THEFEZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Decent rooms
« on: April 19, 2011, 08:03:24 pm »

I've searched the wiki, and I've Googled, but I can't find anything about what makes a room "decent" for a mayor.  I popped a legendary bed in his bedroom, the walls are all smoothed, all the furniture is limestone so extra valuable, but ...

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Decent rooms
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 08:05:46 pm »

You forgot to engrave everything. Add extras-- a cage with his favorite animal, a trap with some expensive weapons, hell you might as well push it into royal, just by making the room bigger.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 08:11:40 pm »

The easiest way which involves the least amount of work for you is to smooth+engrave and add the minimal furniture.

acer_palmatum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 08:13:03 pm »

easiest way to high value rooms is by using metal furniture. Iron is worth a lot but steel mastercrafts are worth as much as most artifact furniture.

be careful on making lesser nobles bedrooms too nice though. kings/dukes will get angry at lesser nobles pretentious holdings.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 08:21:15 pm »

Easiest way is definitely the artifact. If you have one, that is, otherwise it's the impossible way.

Limestone might be one of the precious "common" stones, it is worth way less than your average metal or metallic ore. If you don't have any of those, try as the others said : bigger room and engravings.

Did I hear magma?

***Oh, right! With magma and sand, glass furniture! Worth a lot! Look at that pretty all-green brittle noble's room!
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

THEFEZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 08:27:46 pm »

You forgot to engrave everything. Add extras-- a cage with his favorite animal, a trap with some expensive weapons, hell you might as well push it into royal, just by making the room bigger.

Yeah my residence quarters are a variant of Marble Dice with the end of the outer-corner hallways turned into suites of 3 rooms for nobles.  Larger won't be an option unless I make a third level of housing (wasn't in the plan).  So there's no room for a cage or a trap except in the hall linking his rooms together (if that counts).

Engraving is doable though - lots of fairly skilled Engravers running around Hornroof.

THEFEZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 08:29:31 pm »

Easiest way is definitely the artifact. If you have one, that is, otherwise it's the impossible way.

Limestone might be one of the precious "common" stones, it is worth way less than your average metal or metallic ore. If you don't have any of those, try as the others said : bigger room and engravings.

Did I hear magma?

***Oh, right! With magma and sand, glass furniture! Worth a lot! Look at that pretty all-green brittle noble's room!

Wow, seriously?  All that for the Mayor?  I'm terrified of what higher nobilitiy is going to demand of me.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 08:31:00 pm »

It is on the wiki, though not necessarily where you would be able to find it if you didn't know where to look. Specifically, it's on the Room page. In particular, a room's quality is based off of the sum of the value of the walls, floors, and all the furniture in the defined room, with additional (undesirable) multipliers if the room overlaps another room or zone and if the room isn't entirely closed in by walls, doors, and/or open space.

A "Decent" room has a total value of 500 or more. With decent-quality furniture, this is not difficult to attain; a masterwork bed, for instance, is worth 120 all by its lonesome.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 08:35:18 pm »

Decorate the furniture with gems, metal, cloth, etc. Decorations can put furniture value through the roof and even compete with artifacts.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 08:41:27 pm »

Decorate the furniture with gems, metal, cloth, etc. Decorations can put furniture value through the roof and even compete with artifacts.
Agreed with this; you do need a minimum size chamber to satisfy all of a noble's needs - for instance, the duke needs, at minimum, a bed, a table, a chair, a coffin, 3 armor stands, 3 weapon racks, 3 cabinets, and 5 chests, so you need at least 18 tiles of space for them if you stick it all in one chamber - but by stacking decorations on those pieces, you can overcome the needed values reasonably easily. Given that jewels aren't particularly useful otherwise, you might as well take advantage of encrusting some furniture for nobles.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

clockwork

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Performer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 08:45:56 pm »

Give him a bigger room too, it'll help increase the living standard.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 09:48:02 pm »

Maybe it's just me, but I never have trouble pleasing the nobility in the room requirements. Rooms tend to start at 3x4 and expand from there as necessary, with metal furniture, usually the noble's favorite metal if available. All smoothed, no engraving; I see engraving as something to be reserved for truly important or lavish settings, such that my mayor needs no such thing.

My typical mayoral setup is a 3x5 office with the table, chair, armor and weapon stands, a 3x4 bedroom with a superior+ bed, a cabinet and chest, and a 3x4 dining room with table, chair, and the second chest, each connected, all interconnected with doors.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 11:32:32 pm »

I just make their rooms big and do the usual stuff. I think room size factors into how good the room is. I can often get away with very few pieces of furniture until they reach Baron status. Generally though, by the time I decide I need a mayor or another picky noble, I have at least one good mason to make some statues to put in their rooms.

THEFEZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 02:46:28 pm »

It is on the wiki, though not necessarily where you would be able to find it if you didn't know where to look. Specifically, it's on the Room page. In particular, a room's quality is based off of the sum of the value of the walls, floors, and all the furniture in the defined room, with additional (undesirable) multipliers if the room overlaps another room or zone and if the room isn't entirely closed in by walls, doors, and/or open space.

A "Decent" room has a total value of 500 or more. With decent-quality furniture, this is not difficult to attain; a masterwork bed, for instance, is worth 120 all by its lonesome.

Aha!  Thanks for that link.  I get it now.  I'm in the process of engraving the walls, and the MAyor seems to be satisfied.  Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 04:09:19 pm »

I never go through so much trouble to create expensive rooms. Sure, I smooth the whole thing, but I use cheap doors and beds usually. Do a little engraving, then just make the cabinets/chests out of gold or something. If that isn't enough then I add some gold/etc statues. Silver is good too (seems like I usually end up with at least silver if not gold).

Really just using expensive raw materials is enough. You don't even need to go so far as using mastercraft items or gem encrusting, though it helps.

A gold chest and cabinet is enough to get even a 1x3 room way up there in value.
Pages: [1] 2