Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Decent rooms  (Read 3128 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Re: Decent rooms
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 05:19:26 pm »

I've searched the wiki, and I've Googled, but I can't find anything about what makes a room "decent" for a mayor.  I popped a legendary bed in his bedroom, the walls are all smoothed, all the furniture is limestone so extra valuable, but ...

The easiest way if you have suitable materials and dwarves is to build a Masterwork or Artifact Steel Serrated Disc in the room you want bumped to royal quality.

EDIT: Do you have the mayor's required rooms defined as overlapping? That reduces the quality of the room a lot. Also make sure the room is defined to cover everything.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 06:34:56 pm »

3x4 rooms are a good size for the lesser nobles (1 bedroom, 1 dining room, 1 office).  Barons tend to be happy with 3x5 or larger, and I'd imagine 4x6 would be the starting size for a king/queen.

Smooth + Engrave before placing furniture.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2011, 03:15:35 am »

Room size and engraving are all that's needed to boost value. You do need the required furniture/rooms as well. But since you'll only get a few nobles all game, and you'll probably have at least a couple of legendary miners and maybe an engraver by then, why not just make the rooms a bit bigger? We are only talking about 5 or so noble dwarves at maximum in any particular fortress. Who cares if you make their 9x9 rooms instead of 3x4? Once smoothed and engraved the 9x9 will be over 6x as valuable then the 3x4 on just the rock value alone. Plus there's a lot more room to fit in some masterwork engravings in there. It costs you nothing but time, and you can just pile any crap you want in there. It also makes it easier to not get angry nobles by letting you determine exact room and furniture values more easily for the different ranks of nobles.

How do you make a legendary dining hall? I just make mine sodding huge. Afterall, I'll probably only ever make one or two of them. This is pretty much the same thing.
It's a game. Have fun.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2011, 04:22:14 am »

I've satisfied my mayor's requirements before with just a few pieces of normal furniture shoved into the caverns and defined a gigantic room from it; no engraving or even smoothing required.  I might have thrown in a bunch of cheap statues too just to bump it up to Decent.  You guys trying to fit them into a 3x5 room are hiiiilarious.  "But it's the most opulent janitor's closet in the whole fort!"  :P
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2011, 04:38:26 am »

Remove his door and make his room consist of all the hallways and workshops.
Pages: 1 [2]