Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 385

Author Topic: ♪ The Great Music Thread ♫  (Read 461007 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: ♪ The Great Music Thread ♫
« Reply #3105 on: June 21, 2014, 06:46:07 am »

I'm not sure what you're looking for. A Digital Audio Workstation? A tracker?
Basically: a program that makes Instrumental MP3/etc music files by the user inputting data into it...My local friends calls them "synthesizers" so that's the only name i know for them.
(think vocaloid but instruments not voices)

So yeah, you're looking for a tracker or a DAW with tracker functionality. If you're looking for something up-to-date and free, try SunVox - I have no goddamn idea how good it is, but it's being updated and is freeware.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3106 on: June 21, 2014, 06:52:09 am »

So yeah, you're looking for a tracker or a DAW with tracker functionality. If you're looking for something up-to-date and free, try SunVox - I have no goddamn idea how good it is, but it's being updated and is freeware.
Though I'm not sure if that supports VST, which is a must IMHO. With VST you can play any instrument you have a plugin for, without it you are limited to whatever synths or effects are built-in.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3107 on: June 21, 2014, 09:04:27 am »

What XXSockXX said.

FL Studio nowadays sports a ton of features that makes it kind of top of the line, such as live performance for use with Novation Launchpads and its ilk, and as was stated, flexibility in terms of VSTs. Make no mistake that FL's default synthesizers are crap; a vast majority of the purchaseable ones such as Harmless and Harmor, a pair of additive synths, are capable of making things ranging from an E-piano to a Dubstep wub.

You'll have to go out of your way to find acoustic VSTs if that's your thing though.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3108 on: June 21, 2014, 09:18:02 am »

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3109 on: June 21, 2014, 11:23:40 am »

What XXSockXX said.

FL Studio nowadays sports a ton of features that makes it kind of top of the line, such as live performance for use with Novation Launchpads and its ilk, and as was stated, flexibility in terms of VSTs. Make no mistake that FL's default synthesizers are crap; a vast majority of the purchaseable ones such as Harmless and Harmor, a pair of additive synths, are capable of making things ranging from an E-piano to a Dubstep wub.

You'll have to go out of your way to find acoustic VSTs if that's your thing though.
Well, I'd like to try out all sorts of different styles, but mostly i plan on using Acid Trance and rock/soft-rock the most...if that helps round down recommendations, I apologize for not being specific,but  like i said: Even i am unsure of what exactly I'm looking for past the ability to make those music styles.
Preferred pronoun: "They/Them".

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3110 on: June 21, 2014, 12:17:45 pm »

You know Rekka, thanks to your questions I actually went out and got myself one of those (the one I mentioned), and I wanted to for a long time. Cheers!
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3112 on: June 23, 2014, 11:34:58 am »

What XXSockXX said.

Well, I'd like to try out all sorts of different styles, but mostly i plan on using Acid Trance and rock/soft-rock the most...if that helps round down recommendations, I apologize for not being specific,but  like i said: Even i am unsure of what exactly I'm looking for past the ability to make those music styles.
You can do any music style with any DAW if you know what you're doing. FL Studio for example was initially designed with electronic music styles in mind, but you can find a ton of examples on youtube of people doing anything from orchestral music to extreme metal with it.

You basically just have to find VST plugins (synths and effects) and/or samples you like and then go from there. If you can play guitar, you can record yourself and use that, synthesized guitars are getting better, but the'yre not quite there yet IMHO, at least if you're looking for something easy to use and free.

To get started it's probably easiest to begin with the built-in plugins, make some beats, basslines and melodies to get a feel for how it works. Then you can search the net for VST synths or sample banks (WAV or Soundfonts or anything that is supported), there is more free stuff than you can ever use, for any kind of sound you want. Or record stuff yourself and use that, there is no limit really in what you can do.

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3113 on: June 23, 2014, 01:03:14 pm »

What XXSockXX said.

You can do any music style with any DAW if you know what you're doing. FL Studio for example was initially designed with electronic music styles in mind, but you can find a ton of examples on youtube of people doing anything from orchestral music to extreme metal with it.

You basically just have to find VST plugins (synths and effects) and/or samples you like and then go from there. If you can play guitar, you can record yourself and use that, synthesized guitars are getting better, but the'yre not quite there yet IMHO, at least if you're looking for something easy to use and free.

To get started it's probably easiest to begin with the built-in plugins, make some beats, basslines and melodies to get a feel for how it works. Then you can search the net for VST synths or sample banks (WAV or Soundfonts or anything that is supported), there is more free stuff than you can ever use, for any kind of sound you want. Or record stuff yourself and use that, there is no limit really in what you can do.
I'm not concerned about price of the software, just functionality.
As long as I can do Acid Trance(highest priority), SoftRock and Rock I'm good. Though having access to making other music types would be nice but isn't a priority.
Preferred pronoun: "They/Them".

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3114 on: June 24, 2014, 12:15:36 am »

Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3115 on: June 24, 2014, 06:15:36 am »

The Others - No End In Sight.
Found these guys earlier in the course of my musical wanderings, and this song really blew me away. Wow.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3116 on: June 24, 2014, 06:53:38 am »

Damn good song! FKA Twigs - Two Weeks
Perhaps not to everyone's taste, but who cares.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3117 on: June 25, 2014, 11:23:29 am »

Magic! - Rude

Canadian reggae fusion seems pretty great yo.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3118 on: June 25, 2014, 11:58:38 pm »

I uploaded this to youtube to share it with a friend that didn't have Spotify, as that's the only source for all of their songs.

http://youtu.be/S3mg2X-h4M0
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #3119 on: June 26, 2014, 12:53:18 am »

Pacific Rim - Main Theme
(One of the most epic songs I've ever had the pleasure of gracing my ears. I listen to this every morning as part of my wake-up routine. At the end I want to punch a f***ing bear in the face.  8))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH_6iFYiryY
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 385