Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20

Author Topic: The Horror Thread  (Read 38361 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: The Horror Thread
« Reply #150 on: July 13, 2011, 10:47:41 pm »

Damn... if anything will eventually convince me to give Silent Hill a shot, it's the music.  Deeply emotional and high quality stuff.  I have all the soundtracks and love them to death, even though I've never played the games.

I actually scared the hell out of one of my teachers with a Silent Hill OST clip once, when I was first developing my interactive comic ideas.  I was working on a 3d model for a creature that was going to be in a horror story I had a friend writing for me, who eventually bailed.  To demonstrate the direction I was going, I had made an interactive character sheet for the creature and put one of Silent Hill's most subtle ambient tracks in the program at a very low volume.  It was just some very quiet and slow synth stuff that slowly degraded into a series of periodic nail-on-chalkboard scratching noises.  I set it to start playing at a very low volume in the background after a certain period of time, and very slowly and subtly get louder until it would be obvious just as the scratching noises began.  He had already looked at everything on the sheet by that point and just left it running while we talked about the project, when I could tell he was starting to get really uncomfortable and just not saying anything.  Finally he was like "Do you hear that noise?! WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?!", and he confessed that he thought the music and noises were all in his head at first.  I was so proud of myself :D

Reminds me how much I need to do an interactive horror comic...
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 14, 2011, 05:59:54 am »

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 15, 2011, 12:14:04 am »

Damn it horror mods! Always being more twisted and disturbing than games made by major companies.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 15, 2011, 08:25:37 am »

Just watched The Thing. Excellent movie, although it took me until about halfway through it to stop thinking "Diabeetus"/"You could qualify for a free meter" every time Dr. Blair showed himself.

Most (recent) horror movies that I hear of tend to be
The Human explodes into gore! x100
While you know precisely who's murdering who, and the characters on-screen are pitifully clueless. The Thing leaves the viewer uncertain as well, to great effect.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 15, 2011, 01:20:54 pm »

Yeah, most horror movies suck. Even the non-gibs ones.

For instance, despite their hype, I found both "The Others" and (particularily) "The Orphanage" to suck.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 18, 2011, 11:44:37 pm »

Horrifying necromancy!

Figured it was better to ask here than make a new thread. Can anybody recommend me some horror manga on par with Junji Ito? I've already bought/read everything of his that's available in english.

I tried looking into Kazuo Umezu's stuff, but Drifting Classroom appears to be near impossible to find. I did, however, get my hands on some scanslations of "Fourteen". And...well. That was a seriously messed-up chicken-headed brainwreck, and disturbing on a variety levels, but not really what I'd call good horror. I get that it was going for surreal horror, but between the sheer goofy stupidity and bizarre leaps of logic of the characters and the often...well, bad art it was just really...strange...
Also the
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
pretty much made me give up on it. Whatever. Bleh.

But anyway, I guess I'm really hoping there's some other horror stuff out there with Junji Ito style quality art and modern-day-real-world vibe?

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 19, 2011, 02:50:41 am »

A good month for necroing this thread, I think. Thanks though. :3 I rarely look in GD so I never would have found it otherwise and therefore never have read The Enigma of Amigara Fault. Quite creepy. I'm also happy to discover that apparently I'm not the only person around here who's ever played / enjoyed Clock Tower. ^^^ If people are still looking for game suggestions, if you have a Dreamcast I'd recommend finding a copy of Illbleed. It tends to swerve wildly between funny, creepy, scary, and "WTF is even going on here?" but it's quite enjoyable, if a little clunky.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 19, 2011, 02:59:03 am »

This month, I plan to play Yume Nikki and find the fabled entity that is known as "Uboa".
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Singularity-SRX

• Bay Watcher
  • *shudders*
    • View Profile
Quote from: Vertigon
slamming his left hand into the baby's face
I came to this forum with no intention of ever uttering that phrase.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 19, 2011, 04:38:41 am »

« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 04:43:55 am by ChairmanPoo »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 19, 2011, 05:06:41 am »

Neat.  A creepypasta wiki.

Anybody know any good ones?

We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 19, 2011, 05:10:39 am »

Hrm, I never liked that one. Found it to be bland.

This one was decent, IMO: http://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/In_the_Mirror

This one is among my all-time favorites: http://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/Bad_Dream

This one is nice too: http://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/Hands

This one. Mostly because the trapped feeling.: http://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/The_Cabin_and_the_Dolls
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 05:14:22 am by ChairmanPoo »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 19, 2011, 05:17:56 am »

Shouldn't be reading this stuff when I'm the only person awake in the house
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 05:19:54 am by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20